Cannot download vector maps

Started by thany, July 03, 2012, 13:40:58

thany

I'm trying to download/update my vector maps, and I'm being confronted with this message:

QuoteProcess unsuccessful
Installed add-on is not supported anymore (since 1.7.2012).
Please uninstall it (add-on) and purchase credit for downloading of the Vector maps! (code:412)

First of all, what add-on? I don't have any add-ons installed, do I? Looking at the android market, the only "locus" thing I've installed is Locus Pro itself.
Secondly, you can't seriously mean to make maps paid, espacially seeing that they are built with OSM as the source.
Third, there's no option to purchase credit, but I'm not going to anyway. I already paid for the app.

Please fix the problem.
  •  

Menion

Hi Thany,
  there is no problem to be fixed

1) I'm sure you bought add-on Vector maps for 1€, that allowed you to download maps in Locus. Add-on is not visible on Market because it was removed during a February, but old description is still visible for example on AndroidPIT server http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/ma ... ector-maps

2) I'm serious and yes I sell maps through Locus even if they're created from OSM data. Cost for maps is really low, work on my side take some time and finally storing and downloading maps cost some money. If you don't like it, there is no force that push you to pay for them. You may create your own vector maps - here is description http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge/wiki ... dMapWriter

3) option for purchase credit is in "Menu > Shop > Maps"
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

druki

By paying vector maps in shop I can donate menion for his work and by using shop maps, I can reduce load at OSM servers. Aditionally I have no trouble with generating maps.
So for all it's a winwin situation.
For me its worth this very few bucks.

P.S. I prefer the shop but I also payed the Vector app. I personally can't understand the relation why people invest worthful time for complaining about a few cents.
  •  

roelfrenkema

I think this was a very bad decision and I am very disappointed with it. Not only did I pay for the pro version, I also paid for vector app because I was OK with donating the extra for the trouble of making the maps. Something that takes time but is fully automatic. I also doubt very much that the payload on the server is so high that it wouldn't be covered by payed extensions. It's not like these maps have such major changes everyday. And yes I know the costs of a server as I am hosting myself.

So bottom line for me is that it looks like Locus is becoming a milkcow and I will refrain from buying anything anymore till the maps will be available for people who bought the (now useless) map extension. Posted on Play store too.
  •  

druki

•  

roelfrenkema

<rant mode on>
@druki, thats ridiculous as the maps are available on http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/ without the overhead and noise. Fact is we want to be able to do this within the app without the menace of wingetting and scping it to our devices.

That was what the add-on did. That is why we bought the add-on in the firstplace. So lets face it a ample change and update of the addon to use f.i. the mapsforge repo would have been as easy as 1 2 3. But that wouldn't bring in a steady source of income right?

As far as mapsforge is concerned they don't give a shit if you winget it curl it or use the bloody addon. This is no more then pure customer frustration.
<rant mode off>
  •  

Menion

I still don't see where is problem. What happen with add-on was planned since begin. It was written in description of add-on and on every possible place where I was writing about it. Also, since start, in description was, that add-on will be available to 31.3., but because we received more money then we paid for data on Amazon, add-on remained valid for 3 next months.

Also, I don't think I have to defend this decision. For me it looks very reasonable and I'm still 100% sure about it.
  •  

roelfrenkema

Menion you only prove my point as where the dataconsumption is concerned, the add-on brought more in then the actual costs. So in principle there is no reason not to continue with it as far as data is concerned. Leaves us with the time investment you do.

Here I would like again point out that this could/should be fairly automatic and boils down to processor time. If that is all to much for you, you could just link to mapsforge. Simple.

Do not forget that the license of the OSM data allows you to sell it as long as you adhere to the same license. Which means that anyone buying the maps from you can distribute them freely if they want. So all and all the only thing you do here is frustrating people without any need without any benefit. (FGS use a paypall donate button if you want more money)

This is not an attack on you personally but mere a request to reconsider here. as I think it is not worth it. You have a fine product that has a fair price and people will propagate it if you don't piss them off with these kind of actions. If you haven't noticed the trend is going to free maps everywhere.

Now I for me have solved the problem with a simple script on my android phone, downloading the map from the forge with wget and installing it in the Locus dir with the help of the SManager app. But I again, politely, ask you to reconsider and turn back from this move. I will then be more then glad to edit my remarks in the playshop and propagate Locus once again to anyone who looks for a decent GPS app.
  •  

roelfrenkema

This is the script I use for anyone intereted save and set the right permissions:

#!/system/bin/sh
# wget -P <destination dir> url
# The example below retrieves the andorra map on my android galaxy s.
# running the script with SManager.(free version available in PlayStore)
# at http://fwd4.me/154I
wget -P /emmc/Locus/mapsVector/europe http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/europe/andorra.map

HMM I'm just thinking, I could even make this better by useing a PHP script and have it check for filesize changes before download and have it run on a nightly base. Then I wouldn't have to do anything anymore ever and Locus would always be cutting edge up to date. Isn't it nice if developers get you hacking at their walls?
  •  

roelfrenkema

There you go my friends. Same license as OSM pun intended. :mrgreen:

#!/system/bin/php
<?php

/*
   licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license
   created and copyright by Roelf Renkema in protest of shutdown locus vectormap app
*/

// CHANGE if the destination on your device differs
$dest = "/emmc/Locus/mapsVector/";
//CHANGE if you want to use another source
$source = "http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/";
//CHANGE to maps you want, you need to create the dir structure yourself
$maps = array(
            "europe/andorra.map",
            "europe/liechtenstein.map"
);

foreach($maps as $map){
   $furl = $source.$map;
   $fdest = $dest.$map;

$lsize = filesize($fdest);
   $esize = getextsize($furl);
   if(!$lsize) $lsize=0;
   echo "$furl is $esize bytes big. Local size = $lsizen";
   if($lsize != $esize){
      getextfile($furl,$fdest);
   } else {
         echo "Skipped $mapn";
   };
}

exit;

function getextsize($furl){

$ch = curl_init();
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, true);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_NOBODY, true);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, true);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $furl); //specify the url
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, TRUE);
    $head = curl_exec($ch);
    $size = curl_getinfo($ch,CURLINFO_CONTENT_LENGTH_DOWNLOAD);
   curl_close($ch);

return($size);
};

function getextfile($furl,$fname){
   $fp = fopen($fname, 'w');
   if (!$fp) exit("Failed to open file for writing");

$ch = curl_init();
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $furl);
   curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FILE, $fp);
    curl_exec($ch);
   curl_close($ch);
   fclose($fp);
if (is_resource($fp))
   fclose($fp);
};

?>
  •  

Menion

hmm, I still don't have your point :)

Pointing on different server is not enough. My own server wasn't enough to server data in around January. Now every month it's around 2TB of maps that are downloaded, sometime more, sometimes less, and it's hard to handle on own server where also should works different stuff, not just map downloading.

Licence of these maps I have in mind, don't worry. If you'll sell or distribute them ... no problem. Enjoy it. I'm not taking it as an attack. I have no problems with other distributing types. As you can see here on forum, I'm not deleting links to other sites where people generate maps. Why not, it's good that OSM maps are used and distributed into public

If you want propagate some scripts for automatic downloading, it's also not a problem. Do as you want. Anyway I'll not change my decision. It was planed since begin with no secrets and it's just on people if they want to pay few bucks for simplicity or create or download their maps from alternative sites or by your scripts.
  •  

gynta

Hi roelfrenkema and welcome to the Locus Forum
Quote from: "roelfrenkema"Fact is we want to be able to do this within the app
So you can start a idea posting on https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/ideas/popular

roelfrenkema

@menion

I know the app was supposed to be temporary but there was no talk about that the future maps would come at a price, otherwise I might have reconsidered in buying an app that would be obsoleted without IMHO proper replacement.

Am I right that we (buyers of the add-on) served as testers for the current system? You really had us pay for helping you? Because that is how it feels now. So I think it would be an acceptable solution if you would offer the owners of the app some sort of compensation. A good idea might be the price of the app in credits for the new system.

Anyway your business model has left a dent in my and probably many other users belive in the community spirit here. I think there are other ways to solve this vectormap storage problem then the current one you choose as my script clearly states. Now I am awaiting the first troll lecturing about OSM bandwith and supportive spirit.

I am supportive as I showed when I bought that app and and increase in bandwith for OSM resolves from taking out the app. Not my doing.
  •  

roelfrenkema

@gynta
What do you mean? I already gave several solutions. But these will not help non technical users thats why I am speaking up for them.
  •  

druki

I'm a pretty nontechnical user and just bought some more credits in the store which I will never use. With this money, menion may payback some users.
If I think it over, each release of Locus gives multiple values in features of what I payed in money for it initially.
  •