gps keeps losing satellites

Started by Bovinexpress, June 26, 2012, 21:18:37

Bovinexpress

I've been using locus free for about 5 months with no problems, but for the last 2weeks to a month I've been running into problems with the gps satellites.

When i turn on my gps then go into locus and turn the gps on in the app it finds about 8 satellites and it zero's me in within 5 seconds usually. but when i start looking at the map and sometimes it follows me just fine for a few minutes but it stops. when i have the drop down menu showing me the gps info it says 6.0m | 8/8 with that being 6m Accuracy and 8 of 8 satellites tracking me. But then i hit the GREEN satellite button beside the menu and it shows "No satellites" even though my "My location" button still says my gps is on and 0|0 satellites. My gps is still enabled on the phone but i have to (in locus) hit the "My location" button to turn the gps off then hit it again to turn it back on and i'll get the satellites to zero in within 5 seconds again but only lasts for 30 seconds - a few minutes then shuts off again.

I'm not sure if it is a locus thing or something to do with my lg p500h phone but it makes geocaching a pain. my phone isn't moded or have a rom, its just the regular instal running android version 2.3.3 and kernel version 2.6.35.10. i don't know if you need any more info but i'll answer any questions i can because its really a pain in the behind. Thanks in advance!
  •  

Menion

:) I'm sure you have top GPS icon not only satellite symbol, but also satellite symbol with small black clocks right? This mean you have enabled "GPS auto-off" feature. Check it here http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... s_auto-off
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Bovinexpress

my gps auto-off is unchecked. i've also compared all my settings with a friend who uses locus with no problems at all and all my settings are exactly the same.
  •  

Menion

ah, damn. I looked as clear problem. Fine, seems you're not only one. In Czech part of forum is very similar problem (even on different phone). So two things how we should start (also one question, you compared settings to your friend phone, and he don't have such issues right?)

1. store your settings by Backup manager or by menu > settings > misc > save preferences and send me it
2. install CatLog program, start it, start recording, then start Locus and do shortest way to achieve such issue. After this happen, end Locus and in CatLog end recording and send me this log.

maybe please for this use current release candidate downloadable from here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8015949/2.4.3.4.apk
  •  

Bovinexpress

Alright i sent an email to mailto:locus@asamm.com">locus@asamm.com with the attachements and a brief explenation buti will post the contents of the email here also.
again thanks for the quick replies and all your help!

E-mail content below

2012-06-27_-_23_52 is my settings that i use.

Log_for_menion2 is the catlog file with it showing no satelites and me shutting down right away.

Log_for_menion3 is a second log i ranto show it getting no satellites after a minute or so then it found 1 satelite but didnt change after that. I wanted to show that if i shut off the "my location" button (to turn gps off) then pressed it again (to turn gps back on) that it would find like 12 satellites and find me again within 5 seconds but again after a minute or so it would give me the no satellites yet my gps is clearly on.
  •  

Bovinexpress

I also forgot to mention that my friend has a different phone than me but all settings are the same and hes never had any problems.
  •  

Menion

Thanks for email. Seems you are using testing version. That's good because thanks to it, there is visible much more debug texts. Anyway still not idea why this happen to you. I'm currently uploading new version to Google Play, so check it. Probably there will be still same problem, so I'll create for you some debug version during next week for test

PS: one idea, may you please try to reset Locus settings? Should not have any influence, but just for sure
  •  

Bovinexpress

Yea, i used the version that you linked me in a previous post from you then i ran everything from there. i will definately download the latest version from google play and i'll also reset locus setting just to be sure. ill keep you posted if anything changes and i look forward to trying to get this problem solved thru whatever means you feel are needed.
thanks for all the quick responses and the help! i wish all company's had customer support like yours.
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: "menion"I'm currently uploading new version to Google Play, so check it. Probably there will be still same problem, so I'll create for you some debug version during next week for test

Hi menion,
with the latest v2.50 I have big problems with GPS :-)
All older versions were ok.
I never heard the beep for the GPS fix during a tour (except the first at track start of course). The last trip was two days ago over 6 hours with perfect recording as usual.

Today with the new v2.50 I heard the beep at least 30-40 times during 4 hours, I always had 7/ or 9/9 satellites, and the resulting track was terrible: over many km no single point, or hundred of meters away from the real way (I make this tour several times during the year, it was always ok).
I did not change the configuration when I installed the new version over the old.
in /logs there is no logfile from today.

The test version 2.4.3.4 expired today so I could not switch to it.
Can you please alter the expiration date to two weeks later?
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

Bovinexpress

Still no luck with the gps. i tried both your current release (2.5) and im running currently your test version (2.5.0.1) but it still hasn't made a difference to the gps.
Is there anything else you want me to try or do menion? Geocaching is enough of a pain constantly having to turn the gps on and off to get a fix but i cant even keep track of my jogs. i really love the app,and i use it everyday so i'm looking forward to finding a solution.
  •  

Bovinexpress

i may have found a solution to my problem. i am currently still testing to see if it works but i've had a constant gps fix for over 30minutes. i have no idea why this problem suddenly started but i found some posts on another site that have had success with this fix. here are the steps that i have followed and so far so good.

Working solution for GPS problem for LG P500 Optimus after update to Gingerbread lies in hidden menu which can be opened with 3845#*500# combination in Dialer. Then choose GPS Test > gpsApp Main Menu > Settings > GPS Type and choose Standalone instead of A-GPS.

i have not recently updated anything do i dont know why the problem would just start. Fingers crossed that this will continue to work. and thanks for all your help through everything. will keep you posted
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  as I read it, I'm very very lucky, that you discovered topic on different forum. I have no idea how should we simply discover that this is some "Android itself" issue and fix it. I really hope, maybe more then you :) that solution you found will help on this issue ...
  •