Activating Categories

Started by Gas, June 20, 2012, 07:27:43

Gas

Hi!

Since the last update, the "Category" icon in the data manager is gone. But how do i activate a whole category now instead of manually selecting all items and activate them? I found out that the Icon is still existand when using the sidebar, but as I want to keep the GUI clean and simple, i'm usually not using the sidebar. Could you add a checkbox in the poi screen where you can quickly activate/deactivate all items in a category? Or an option in the menu next to the category?

Greetings
Gas
  •  

Menion

Hi Gas,
  as you already know, exist "Points" icon http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:points or you may use "Select all" button directly in Points screen. No other possibilities are planned, sorry ...

as I think about it, icon for "Data" and "Map" are in top panel of map screen and also in main menu, so you may replace top icons for example with this "Points" button if you don't want to use right panel
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Gas

Hi Menion,

thanks for your quick reply!
I didn't even know that the icons in the top menu can be changed. That makes it really easier.

One thing i don't understand though: Why are there two different POI screens in the first place?
There is the Data Manager => POI screen where I can add/delete categories and open the items included, but I can't activate/deactivate a category
and
there is the "Menu" => POI screen where I can activate/deactivate categories with a checkbox and open the items included, but I can't add/delete a category.
Wouldn't it be easier if the POI screen in the data manager also had the possibility to activate/deactivate categories, either by checkbox or by menu?
The "Menu" => POI screen could then open the same screen as the data manager and you have the same functionality with both functions.

Greetings
Gas
  •  

Menion

hmm as I think about it, you're of course right. Anyway this feature is still useful. Mainly on tablets where is no need to load list of points. Also, I see no simple way to add also checkbox to list of categories. So you're right, but I think that it¨s not necessary to change current system ...
  •  

Gas

And again, i didn't know that the POI screen in Data Manager also shows the items. Thanks for pointing that out.
I always use my phone in portrait mode where the list on the right isn't shown.

What about adding the checkboxes next to the categories list? This way, you can use the screen to activate/deactivate the categories and you can have the items shown on the same page if you use landscape mode / tablet. I used my uber-pro MSPaint-Skills to show you what I mean, please have look at the attached image.

Greetings
Gas
  •  

Menion

he, ... no :) it looks terrible, really. Also two active buttons too close, ah ..

sorry, but I think that current system works correctly and there is no reason for this. If you want quickly switch categories, use "Points" dialog. I anyway agree that your solution make sense!
  •  

Gas

I see, there is no way to convince you  :)

Anyway, perhaps it is also me doing things more inconvenient that necessary.
I use Locus mainly as a geocaching app. Therefore I have 3 categories: "Caches", "Solved Mysteries" and "Other".
I mainly use the function to import Pocket Queries, but sometimes I also use the Geocaching4Locus-Addon.

The Workflow in previous versions was:
- Import Pocket Query, choose "caches" category
- Go to "Categories", enable "Caches"

Now I have to
- Import Pocket Query, choose "caches" category
- Go to POI, open caches and wait for the list to load
- click on the checkmark
- click "choose all" and wait

You see, the steeps needed to start caching is twice as long. I know, you don't have to do it that often, but when using the geocaching4locus-Addon, this has to be done every time you import caches from it.

If you don't want to change the poi screen anymore, perhaps some kind of "Auto-Enable everything after import"-option would be the solution. Of some kind of "Auto-Enable everyting in this category"-option in the settings for the category? Or is something like that even integrated?

Greetings
Gas
  •  

Menion

and do you know this button? With this it's even faster ;)
  •  

Gas

I will check the manual first before asking stupid questions...

I honestly never tried that option because i always thought that "view" after import just means opening the list, not activating them.
Using that option really makes the whole handling much easier.
Thank you very much for your help and patience :D

Greetings
Gas
  •  

Menion

ah here was problem :)

so text changed to "Show on the map after import"

EDIT: heh I also discovered that this button do not work correctly in current version, so if you have same issue, it will be fixed in next version
  •  

nIgel

Since I'm geocaching too I  was on the verge of asking the same question as GAS. But luckily I found that thread before. All questions are solved now. :lol:
Greeings, nIgel
  •  

Menion

:) Perfect
  •  

starman316

I am well confused now since u removed the catagory

I am in points at the moment and i cannot enable/disable the catagorys, there is only the settings option on the right!! of each catagory

I want to be able to select which catagory i want to show on the map, by selecting the catagory and load! which i was able to do before

moving from different areas, and able to select which catagory for the particular area

Now i am not able to do this!!

I am a newbie to locus was just learning how to use it and now im well and truely confused!!
  •  

starman316

hehehe, ok, right, added as a right panel button / points and now i have the check boxes :P

sorry!!!

I presume you removed the catagory because in the points shortcut the checkboxes are there??

was just really confusing for me, as i could not find any checkboxes in the points menu (data menu)

teach me for not reading the manual! i am just learning so !!

thanks for a great app
  •  

Menion

I think it was more confusing that Points have also separated categories. Now it's connected into one big screen.

Anyway you may also use button 5. in points screen http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... ect_points to quickly select points
  •