Show POI Name On Hover

Started by Zaliek, February 02, 2011, 22:38:15

Zaliek

Having all of the POIs with their names showing at the same time clutters up my map too much. It would be cool if there was an option to show the POI name when you hover over it with the crosshair.

Also when you tap a point the name is always cut off in the menu that shows up. You maybe could change the text to read "Info" and Show the POI title next to the icon instead? Just an idea anyways.

Thanks for your time. :)
  •  

Menion

very nice idea, implemented into actual market version 0.9.11! Thanks
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Zaliek

Thanks for making the change!
I'd recommend one slight adjustment though, the POI name on the map still gets truncated way too soon. Seems to be at 11 characters. I'm thinking optimum would be at 25 characters as that would cover the majority of POI names without being too long.

Thanks for all your hard work, keep it up!
  •  

Menion

hmm next improvement in next release (0.9.15), what you think? ...

(will be on market during day)
  •  

Zaliek

Looks good! Thanks for the fast fix. :mrgreen:

One issue though. In areas that are densely populated with icons sometimes the text shows up over nearby icons and sometimes under them. It seems pretty random. It might have something to do with the order they are rendered on the map, some being on a higher level than others.
  •  

Menion

Fine, you're welcome ...

second point ... yes, icons are drawn in same order as are in imported or added into category. Text for icons are drawn in same time as icon. So, from this you can imagine that drawing of icons and texts seems to be really random. But i don't know any simple solution to this. Sorting items by coordinates for every draw seems to be too expensive step. You have to count that too much points under cursor is not good for displaying names :)

what about size and color of texts? I received one email yesterday, where I was asked if exist any possibility to change this. But I don't want to fill Locus settings with too much items. I would like to have one universal size and color for these texts ...

on my 800x480px display, all looks really good, so what on yours?

thanks for answer....
  •  

clovis

Dear Menion,

I must said, Locus is almost the best handheld map apps I had ever seen.
Sorry that I always compare this kind of apps with my old favorite of OZIExplorer that I used for a long time in PPC.

Show POI name on hover is such a good idea solve a lot of problem when there are too many POI over the map but is inconvenient when you are using it for hiking and search around anyway to go.
I highly suggest to get an option that let the user choice to show all POI Name or hide them all.  That will be great if some kinds of shortcut is available for it.

;)  It's just a small suggestion, this apps is still on top with others Android Map apps.
  •  

Zaliek

Quote from: "menion"Fine, you're welcome ...

second point ... yes, icons are drawn in same order as are in imported or added into category. Text for icons are drawn in same time as icon. So, from this you can imagine that drawing of icons and texts seems to be really random. But i don't know any simple solution to this. Sorting items by coordinates for every draw seems to be too expensive step. You have to count that too much points under cursor is not good for displaying names :)

what about size and color of texts? I received one email yesterday, where I was asked if exist any possibility to change this. But I don't want to fill Locus settings with too much items. I would like to have one universal size and color for these texts ...

on my 800x480px display, all looks really good, so what on yours?

thanks for answer....
The overlap isn't really that big of a deal. The only way I could think of solving that is to render the text in it's own layer, after all the icons are rendered. I don't know how much work that would involve though. Most of my programming experience is with javascript and visual basic. I've never worked with android's SDK.

My screen is the same size as yours and the text looks fine.

More options is always better. If you feel that things are getting too cluttered, you could put UI options in a sub menu like several other developers have done in their apps.

The option to switch between "No names displayed", "names displayed on hover", and "display all names" seems like a logical option set.
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  in testing version added option to "No names displayed", "names displayed on hover", and "display all names" thing. logical for me too.

about order of drawing. I have to thing about it later.
  •