Locus Pro Backup Manager can't restore backup

Started by tommi, June 03, 2012, 08:29:23

tommi

Hi Menion,
as I now use a different phone I had to move my Locus Pro installation.
What I did was the following:
- Copy the complete Locus Folder structure to sdcard/Locus
- Copy the backup.zip to sdcard/Locus/backup
- Start BackupManager in Locus and press restore button
- Locus tells me "there is nothing to be restored" or similar, I can't remember exactly
- Tried this several times, always the same problem
- Then (with a certain idea how programmers work :) ) I tried the Backup Button and a backup was created.
- Where is this new backup? Exactly in the mentioned folder together with my backup.bat
- Then tried again pressed the restore button - and now it worked

What do you think?
Could it be that the variable holding the path to the backups is initialized only in the backup part and not in the common part of the backup manager?

Cheers,
Thomas
  •  

tramp20

@menion
1. Could you limit the auto-backups to one or two weeks and then delete them?
2. Could you change the names of the manual backups from 31.05.2012.zip  to 20120531.zip so the sorting after the name is correct?

Thank you.

Edit: Sorry should be a own thread :-(
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

tommi

Hi Menion,
there was no response from you on this (the original issue, not tramp20's addendum) and today as I started using Locus Free 2.4.2.1 on my new phone this problem appeared again. So I guess, you couldn't reproduce/fix this?
  •  

Menion

Hi Tommi,
 sorry, I missed this topic by some accident.

read please this description, http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:backup_manager , mainly part 1. Important is, that this part affect which items will be backuped and which restored. All backups are stored in Locus/backup directory

tramp20: I'll check it ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

Hi Menion,
sorry, I don't understand what you want to tell me.
Problem is that in a new installation (I don't mean a new version but a installation on e.g. a new phone) of Locus the restore function is not functional.
See https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtvooo6pl9azz ... .25.34.png for what happens after touch of restore button (I would expect this message if hit the _backup_ button!).
See https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw4t7iof43smn ... .27.24.png that there are backups available I'd expect that Locus lets choose me one.
If I try to start a restore _after_ I did a new _backup_ (e.g. settings but I don't think this matters) I get the expected display of the backup/restore folder (https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfwo1f48ftbkq ... .41.54.png).
  •  

Menion

there should be instead of "at least one object" text "at least one ITEM". By this I mean - in top part are four items where you have to select what you want to restore. So if you want to restore settings, just select at first part "Settings" and then tap "Restore". And if you select any backup file, Locus will try to restore ONLY Settings from your backup
  •  

tommi

So it is possible to restore only parts of what was backuped?
Ah, if I consider this then I understand the behaviour of Locus again.
My expectation was that I can determine what is going to be backuped and the restore will restore everything contained in the backup. But now I read the manual page again and this is described as you write.
Sorry for confusion.

However I surely had understand much earlier if you had it written like this in the manual:
"1. Items
this part contains settings for whole Backup feature and the marked items apply for both Backup and Restore."
  •  

Menion

no need for sorry, it's always problem of developer when user don't understand!

Wiki page updated, thanks
  •  

tommi

Hi Menion,
though the title isn't really accurate this problem is related to the restore mechanism as well:
I just restored my standardsettings (I use to set of settings to switch between navigation mode and normal Locus usage) and afterwards Locus wants to check its license.
I'm not sure but I think I've read that it is checked once every 90 days or after a new installation or version update and I surely remember that Locus checked the license few days ago with the latest version 2.4.3. So I would expect Locus would not check the license anymore until mid of September (for the unlikely case that we do not get any wonderful Locus updates inbetween).
Could it be that the backup contains information about the license status?
  •  

Menion

yes it contain also you checked state. Time is increased to 360 days if I remember correctly anyway whole check result is in this backup also so if you for example overwrite settings in Pro version with some backup from Free, you'll loose your licence state. Anyway how did you noticed that Locus wants check again? You were out of internet and dialog with "You don't have Pro version ... " appear? Sorry for that .. hope it wasn't serious problem ...
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"yes it contain also you checked state.
Is this really necessary to be contained in user settings backup? Shouldn't it be (if necessary at all) be in a separate backup part?

Quote from: "menion"Time is increased to 360 days if I remember correctly anyway whole check result is in this backup also so if you for example overwrite settings in Pro version with some backup from Free, you'll loose your licence state.
This sounds creepily as a user doesn't expect that behaviour. Think of a user previously using Free version and now wants to restore his settings in Pro !? (I'm not sure if it possible to backup settings in Free version)

Quote from: "menion"Anyway how did you noticed that Locus wants check again? You were out of internet and dialog with "You don't have Pro version ... " appear? Sorry for that .. hope it wasn't serious problem ...
Yes, there was no internet connection. No it wasn't a serious problem for now but if I'll be abroad and won't have internet it will be nasty.
Do you plan to change that in a way that a restore won't trigger a license check?
  •