Offline search didn't work

Started by jianxiongwu, June 01, 2012, 06:59:54

jianxiongwu

I have recently downloaded Locus Pro, and I wanted to use it as a car navigator for a holiday in New York. It is important to me being able to navigate offline and also doing address search offline. After I downloaded the offline map from Mapquest, I went into offline search either by using names or coordinates. Neither of them work. Is it because that i need to download other than maps in order to do search based on either GPS coordinate or street search? Can anybody give a new user like me some advices and safe my holidays? Thanks.
  •  

Menion

Hello,
  unfortunately Locus is not capable of offline address search or offline routing. It's impossible with raster maps (downloaded online maps) because these maps do not contain any meta-information, it's just an image. Theoretically this should be possible with vector maps, but in this case, Locus do not use own system, but use system from MapsForge. And offline routing or address search is not yet implemented in this
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

pavnav

I found myself in the same situation - Locus could not do an address search offline. My instance was more complicated because the destination address was in another state. But I found very easy way around. I manually downloaded available vector maps of US states and than being online did destination address search and created navigation route (you can use either departure or destination state.) After this you need to open map of the second state and make sure that you can see destination/departure location.
From now on, every time you open  departure/destination map (offline) you will be able to see your route ( do not forget to pull the map of new state when you will cross the borders of departure one .)
  •  

Menion

Don't understand your workaround pavnav. By downloading vector maps, you still need internet access for address search. So how this helps you with "offline" problem?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Ben303

a solution is to download the addresses in a separate file.

http://www.gisgraphy.com/index.htm

please please please make it a feature of Locus!
  •