Unable to share offline maps

Started by Josh and Jars, May 24, 2012, 11:40:27

Josh and Jars

Hi, I positively like your app Locus, and have the pro version on both my android devices.  :D
However, I have run into a problem.  :( I have downloaded many GB's of offline maps on my phone (HTC Wildfire S android 2.3.3).
I have copied these sqlitedb files to the sdcard of my other device (Viewsonic Viewpad 7 android 2.2)
However, locus on the tablet does not recognize any of the maps downloaded on my phone. I have tried adding a separate directory (+ button on personal tab) without success.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Josh
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "Josh and Jars"...I have downloaded many GB's of offline maps
downloaded offline (not online maps?) from?

druki

You are shure you copied the maps and not only the database (sqll) for the POIs? What was the directory of the downloaded maps and what was the filename?
  •  

Josh and Jars

Quote from: "gynta"downloaded offline (not online maps?) from?
I used the "download" tab in the locus pro app, and I downloaded it into an external .sqlitedb file which placed itself into the mntsdcardlocusmaps folder. I used Google Hybrid.

Quote from: "druki"You are shure you copied the maps and not only the database (sqll) for the POIs? What was the directory of the downloaded maps and what was the filename?
I copied the .sqlitedb file from mntsdcardlocusmaps folder and the file name was what I had specified in the download dialog box when I initially downloaded it.
  •  

druki

If the files are 2GB or larger (each), this could be the reason (there is a limitation in some android versions).
I would start research step by step with one file.
Can you try with some other downloaded map (i.e. Google satelite, maybe an other area) and a very simple filename without blanks, special characters (and have a look at the file attributes)?
And one more idea: does it work in the other way (download at tablet, copy and use in phone)? By this maybe we can find out whether it's a data or system problem.
  •  

Josh and Jars

Thanks for your help "druki" and "gynta". I am currently out of credit on my prepaid internet, so i will get back to you with the results after i have recharged. :-)
  •  

Josh and Jars

Hi everyone,
Sorry for not getting back to you for so long.
I am still having the same problem I mentioned before, but now I have three android devices, and still no luck.
Briefly: A map downloaded on one device will not be recognized or show up on the "Personal" tab on a different device, even when the entire "Locus" folder on the SDcard is copied to the other device.

If anyone can, please help?? Thank you  :)
Josh
  •  

druki

Hi,
I suggest, you download a small area (like 100x100m of a well known towncenter) as a separate file and share it so we can test it.
I have created a small map of the area arround old castle in stuttgart.
http://db.tt/kjdilUdq
On my defy+ the path is:
/sdcard/Locus/maps/
Could you put this file in the directory that your Locus uses for download and see if you can select the map...?

An other ides is that you try the backup feature of locus and see if you can access data of an other device.
  •  

Josh and Jars

Hi "druki",
I have done as you suggested, and your map works on my Nexus One (Android 2.3.6 my latest phone) and my HTC Wildfire S (Android 2.3.3) (unable to test on the viewpad at this time)
I am running Locus version 2.5.4 on the Nexus One and 2.5.3 on the Wildfire S.
What other diagnostics do you suggest?
  •  

Josh and Jars

Just to clarify exactly what is going on here.
I had (still have but don't use much anymore) a HTC Wildfire S (Android 2.3.3). On it I purchased Locus Pro, and using its download option, I downloaded about 5GB (in smaller files, none more than 2GB) worth of maps (mainly MapQuest - Hybrid, or Google - Hybrid) onto my device. Later, I got a Viewsonic Viewpad 7, which runs Android 2.2, which I also bought Locus Pro for. Using the computer, I copied the folder sdcardLocusmaps from my Wildfire's sdcard to the tablet's sdcard. However, when I ran Locus on the tablet, it would not display the maps in the "Personal" maps, even though the automatic backup system on initialization recognized them.
Later, I purchased a Google Nexus One, again installing Locus Pro. I did the same thing again (copying the files) and my Nexus One did the same thing as the tablet. Furthermore, it did recognize other maps that I had downloaded using a different application which I used to use before I got Locus (namely Oruxmaps). :roll:
So, just now I downloaded the file that "druki" posted, and copied into the exact same place (sdcardLocusmaps) and it works!!!
I don't know what is wrong, and will be disappointed if I have to use all that time (download limit is 10,000 tiles per day, I have way over 100,000 worth) and internet download (not overly endowed with that either) to re-download them onto each device. I will if I have to, but I am very keen to find the problem instead, and rectify it, or wait for an update that fixes it.  :)
Thanks again
Josh
  •  

Menion

Hello Josh,
  oki, so
1) disable all tracks and points on map and restart Locus. Do you see loading dialog even if nothing is on map? If so, then Locus have some problems with initializing of some map
2) best is if you create some small (few MB) map, try your methods and if map will not work, share it here and I'll test it also. There should not be any problems, there is no lock on specific device or something like this
3) as I think, you may also try to put your map into some directory outside of Locus and then in "map manager > tab personal" tap on bottom "+" button and specify this external directory. Anyway it's not correct solution, just some workaround
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •