GPX export to garmin GPS

Started by kbfifi, May 21, 2012, 15:23:49

stebu

Quote from: "menion"you're not correct stebu. There is "Compatible with MapSource"! and with MapSource, exported data works! hmm hard work with this Garmin software ...
kbfifi's file was not compatible with his/hers, Gynta's or my Mapsource. Have you tried that file?
  •  

kbfifi

Hi Menion,

We're a few releases further and noticed you improved Locus on this issue. Thanks for that! When I exported with a recent version I saw  not all GPX 1/1 references were replaced. Also CDATA looks unchanged. Any chance you will fix this in the future?

Regards,
kbfifi
  •  

Menion

hmm you're correct, I left there "xsi:schemaLocation" with 1.1 version, sorry fixed. Anyway I tested CDATA values and they seems to works correctly in mapSource and also baseCamp. Are you sure these programs have problems with CDATA objects?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

kbfifi

I tested the exported gpx file with my Garmin Dakota 20. Then it will only show the first Geocache. See Stebu's post above about characters not to use with CDATA. Let me know if I need to test something for you.
  •  

Menion

it's weird. I'm trying to find on internet any description what Garmin GPX support and what not, and there is nowhere any information about problems with CDATA. Cannot be import problem caused by any other issue in GPX file?
  •  

kbfifi

Can be. I noticed that the first cache was fullly accepted including user logs (with CDATA). I tried with only 2 caches in 1 gpx and still only the first got accepted. I also noticed that if other waypoints were included (e.g. for parking) they were also visible on my Garmin. Maybe an XML validation tool shows inconsistencies?
  •  

kbfifi

Yesss I found the problem!  :D  Much simpler then expected. Fortunately it's NOT the CDATA. It's an id that must be unique and is always filled in with "0" at the moment:
All are:
<groundspeak:cache id="0" available="True" archived="False"  ...

and should be unique:
<groundspeak:cache id="0" available="True" archived="False"  ...
<groundspeak:cache id="1" available="True" archived="False"  ...
<groundspeak:cache id="2" available="True" archived="False"  ...

I would be very greatfull if you could fix this in a new version.

Thanks,
kbfifi
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  good observation ... may you tell me from where are you taking your imported caches? Because this value should be in Locus database and also correctly exported. So it's not a problem of Locus, but problem that this value is missing. Maybe should help, that in case "id" is not known (so it's zero), "id="0"" parameter will be completely missing? May you please try, if without this "id" will import works? Thanks
  •  

kbfifi

Hi Menion,

I just tried without the id attribute. It doesn't work. Only the the waypoints are visible and all cache info is lost then. The source is Geocaching4Locus. I import caches into a point list and export from there to GPX compatible with Garmin option. If this is Geocaching4Locus problem please tell me how to proceed.

Thanks,
Kbfifi
  •  

Menion

notified author of add-on, should be fixed in next version of add-on. There is anyway minnor issue in Locus, which is not easily fixable. we'll see if this will have impact on this export
  •  

kbfifi

I'm very happy with the last update of the Geocaching4Locus addon and Locus!! Thanks for solving this. It works flawlessly now!
  •  

Menion

hmm good to hear, thanks for confirmation!
  •