own server - max parallel downloads

Started by OliverPA, May 16, 2012, 07:56:56

OliverPA

Hi! I've set up my own map server and was wondering if there's a way to increase the number of parallel downloads. The way it is now, it seems to take unnecessarily long because both the phones cpu and the network can handle more.
I've already set locus_disable_download_limit:true.
It would be really cool if the server could suggest a maximum, like locus_max_parallel_downloads:5.
  •  

Menion

Hi Oliver, if you set to rewponse from your server such value, it's srill downloading slowly? If such value is found in header, it should allow 5 threads for download at once. I'll check it when I come home

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

OliverPA

Hi menion!
Nope, I've set up both locus_disable_download_limit:true and locus_max_parallel_downloads:5 but while the download limit is removed, the speed limit stays at 3 :-(

You see I've set up my server to serve 1:500k (for zoom levels 7-9) and 1:200k (10-12) maps covering the entire area of Austria and then those areas I hike to are available in detailed 1:50k maps (13-15). So basically I tell locus to download Austria completely and so I'm sure I've got every map available for offline use. I do that whilst at home (connected to the server via WLAN) but it just takes so darn long even though the majority of the tiles don't exist because the 13-15 levels cover only certain areas. In the end the sqlite file has about 500mb rather than the estimated 3.4gb.

Thanks for you help!!
  •  

Menion

you may check if this works not just by number of thread but also by tile limit itself. If you see three threads limit, then it works because default is 2 or even 1. So one small sorry for this, because I thought limit will be increased to 5, but as I look into code, it's only 3, so changed now.

Also on your own server is limit to 10k tiles per day, this should be also removed with this also in current version
  •  

OliverPA

I just upgraded to the new version and got 5 parallel tile downloads - much faster, thanks! :-)
  •  

Menion

perfect, you're welcome :) More is not required I think because after some testing, seems then more then five do not bring significant increase in speed. Enjoy
  •