Convert track to navigation route

Started by Gas, May 08, 2012, 09:27:53

Gas

Hi there!

I recently bought Locus Pro and i absolutely love it. The first big thing I want to use it for is a roundabout in portugal.
I already created our routes for the trips using google maps, so that I now have around 20 KML files.
As I've read, the voice navigation feature is not possible when using imported routes.
Is there any way to easily create a navigation route from the existing KML-files, so that I can use the voice navigation without having to create the routes again from scratch? Or is there another way to use voice navigation on the existing routes?

Thanks & Greetings
Gas
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Hi Gas,

To my knowledge for voice navigation you have to be online, so with a continuous data connection. Than in most remote area's with difficult connection, your battery won't last for a hiking day. (Not to mention data costs when abroad).

But offline you can have guiding along an imported route/track and have a beep alarm activated when you stray more than a set distance from your track. I use that a lot on field-marked tracks and it is a very helpful addition. And with GPS on all day in this weay of using I can easily make it through a full day with the battery of my Defy.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Gas

Hi Henk,

thanks for your reply.

From what I've read from various threads in these forums, you only need a data connection when calculating the route.
After the calculation is completed, the "navigateable" route is stored. When you re-open that route while being offline, you can still use the voice navigation without being online. I've also read somewhere that these voice commands are stores in the gpx file created by locus. My idea was that i can import the route made with Google Maps, and let Locus calculate exactly that route again but with the navigation infos.

The guiding function you mentioned would be the other planned method for our trip, but as we use Locus also for driving by car, the voice navigation would be much more comfortable.

Greetings
  •  

druki

Hi Gas,
I think it should be possible to convert your created tracks to navigation routes (maybe even with Locus). Unfortunately, I don't have such kml/kmz files for testing how it works. Could you just link or attach one file so we can try it?
Greetings, Druki.
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Hi Druki,

Create any route in Google Maps; save it in a new Map en click after that on the letters KML to export it to your pc.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Gas

Of course, i've just uploaded one of our routes.
One file is the KML from GMaps, the other one is a converted GPX from GPSies.com. The GPX file has a huge amount of points, so that Locus becomes a bit slower when loading it. Both routes are guide-able but not navigate-able in Locus.
  •  

druki

Hi,
I tried to do several export/import functionalities until I saw that in the navigation files that locus itself produces there are some special locus tags.
Unfortunately there is no way to convert tracks so they can be used for navigation (I was wrong). Guiding with switching to the next trackpoint is maybe a workarround.
See also https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... rted_track
An other workarround is to use the start and endpoint of an imported track to let locus create a navigation for it (at home) and save it for use it abroad (with the restriction that you have only guiding to the next point if you leave the navigation route or need online access to recalculate the navigation).
  •  

Gas

The problem with using the start- and endpoint to create a new navigation route is that all the additional points of the route are gone, so that I'd have to rebuild every route from scratch with locus to keep the route as we planned it.
A new feature to add navigation to imported tracks would be great. I mean, Locus already has the route with its waypoints. If it would simply create a route between these points with route calculation automatically, you could simply change  your existing route to one with navigation feature included.
It's a bit difficult to explain as english is not my first language, but when i add a new route over my existing one, and add every point of my old route to the new one with navigation calculation enabled, the result would be exactly the same but with navigation feature.
  •  

Menion

I understand what you want ...

best method (if you want to use locus for this task) should be just import break points from your trip. Let's say you'll see on map 10 points. Import them, display them on map. Then tap menu > feature > add new route & measure. Tap on third button on new panel and select by which method you want to compute your route (car, bike ...). After selection, button will remain highlighted, that mean that all new points will be connected with computed route. Now just tap on points on map and always press first button which will cause that point will be added to new route (and also computed route between previous and new point)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Gas

Thanks for your answer, that was just what I meant.
Maybe some kind of automatism would be useful to automatically add navigation instructions to imported tracks. Locus could simply do the same I did manually, open the imported track point by point and calculate the route by mapquest.
I also tested exporting that newly generated route to gpx and reimporting it. The navigation feature was still available and I didn't have to be online to start it.
  •  

kardoljan

I have tried to do wat you Nension, suggested by make a route /convert to navigation my self made route. this is his text. I understand what you want ...

best method (if you want to use locus for this task) should be just import break points from your trip. Let's say you'll see on map 10 points. Import them, display them on map. Then tap menu > feature > add new route & measure. Tap on third button on new panel and select by which method you want to compute your route (car, bike ...). After selection, button will remain highlighted, that mean that all new points will be connected with computed route. Now just tap on points on map and always press first button which will cause that point will be added to new route (and also computed route between previous and new point)

Now I tried it but I dont get any results. Can you again said how I must do it what you proposed.

Thanks in advance.

Jan Kardol Netherlands.
  •  

Gas

Hi again!

I tried to recreate my routes using the method you mentioned, and the navigation is now working. Thanks for that!

Unfortunately I ran into another problem: The newly created routes now allow only "navigation", the "guide" - option doesn't exist in the route-menu.
Is there any way to have the option to use guiding AND navigation on the same route?
  •