Offline address search?

Started by Safir, May 02, 2012, 19:51:07

Safir

Hi, I'm new to this forum as well as Locus.

I have a question about Locus, and if it's possible to search the downloaded maps for addresses (perhaps even including numbers) and areas while offline. From what I've read on this forum, I understand that it would be possible. Am I correct in that assumption? If so, what maps are best suited for that purpose?

Thanks in advance!

// Safir
  •  

tommi

Hi Safir, welcome to the forum!

Only vector maps contain the necessary data.
As vector maps are handled by the underlying library mapsforge this is a feature which needs to be implemented in this library.
This feature is already requested since a long time but due to lack of resources it wasn't implemented yet.
  •  

Safir

Thank you for a fast answer! I did download the vector maps, since it seemed more recource efficient, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for when/if this function is announced. :)
  •  

Ben303

any luck with offline address search?

You better hurry up.

I am starting to use OsmAnd. It is an open source android navigation app with offline vector maps AND OFFLINE ADDRESS search.

this is your competition - and it is free:
//https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en

I would prefer to use Locus Pro - but lack of offline address search means I am using OsmAnd more and more...
  •  

Menion

hmm no public news, but just important question ... do you think it's important to be able to search even house numbers? Or streets are enough?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Ben303

I found some interesting info.

OFFLINE ADDRESS SEARCH DATA DOWNLOAD.

You can download the Geocoding / Geonames data from an open source website:

//http://download.gisgraphy.com/openstreetmap/

I read that google uses the same data for address searches.

PLEASE make Locus Pro have the abilty to download these files and have offline address search!!!

It shouldn't be too difficult should it?
  •  

Menion

Ben, you probably read in my mind, because I was working yesterday on ... this :)

Anyway I would like to hear from you answer on my previous question. Seems that web you mention, also allow only search for streets and not for house numbers, so I'm quite curious, how big problem in real usage is it.
  •  

tommi

Just my thoughts: house numbers would of course be nice but if you think when you are offline and need address info you would be happy to get it on street level.
  •  

wvb

Yeah, housenumber would be great but I would definitely settle for street :-)
Great to hear you're looking into this.

Sent from my SGSII CM10 with Tapatalk 2
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Please don't kill (the speed of) my perfect hiking APP (=Locus) with too much car navigation stuff.  :shock:
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Ben303

@Menion

Numbers of course would be ideal - some street are very long...

this is from the 'whats new' on the Gisgraphy website:

What's new :

Gisgraphy V 4.0 is on the road ;) (house numbers, Postgis 2.0 compatibility, relevance, and more ;)). no date given but probably in first quater of 2013.
Gisgraphy is candidate to the Dataconnexions competition, launched by the french government via the ETALAB mission. The goal is to promote the usage of open data and encourage projects that use it.
To folow the one version / per year (and After more than one year of development), I am proud to announce that the Version 3.0 of Gisgraphy is now available. It is a major versions where a LOT of functionalities has been added. See Why you should update... You can try it here.
Read more news

------------

it mentions 'house numbers'

so maybe a Postgis 2.0 compatibility or download?

@Henk van der Spek

we are talking about something else.....
  •  

Menion

Henk, don't worry. I'll never do navigation software from Locus. There is so much such softwares :)

Point here is simple, did you ever used search for address in Locus? If so, then you know that you need internet access. And only point here, is to allow address search without internet.

Ben, thank you for info about Gisgraphy, but it's useless for me. Firstly it will be ready in Q12013, not sooner, then it will maybe need some database system and finally. I'm already looking for possibilities and partially working on own system for some time. So this feature will be in Locus, but cannot promise when for now
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "menion"Henk, don't worry. I'll never do navigation software from Locus.
nice to hear...

Ben303

you know an idea? - if address/house/building numbers are too difficult - maybe have a function to search by intersection. So you put in two streets where they cross. Street corners. That might be an easier method
  •  

abakan

What is current status of offline address search?
  •