[MAPS] - Vector maps (with terrain contour lines)

Started by jurajs, April 22, 2012, 16:04:18

kech61

Quote from: "gazoox"You map of 2012 is still better quality with the data included in the zoom levels in comparison to the maps from http://www.openandromaps.org

What do you miss in the maps of openandromaps, I always try to improve them - all ideas and critics are welcome.
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

gazoox

Hello! Very nice to meet all the important people here  :P

Don't get me wrong. All maps are very good. Until now I used the vector cards from jurajs here. But now they are quite outdated. Locus paied maps are very similar so currently I switched over to them. Openandro is the next to use.

The following comparison is between the locus payed vector map and openandro.

screenshots: https://plus.google.com/photos/10201625 ... vsn6qbiWOg
Pictures are full HD from S4.
My Theme: viewtopic.php?t=2181

• Higher Zoom levels are always good and including contour lines its very very good!
Suggested improvment in Openandro:
  • Zoom Level 8 and 9 should always have wood area drawed. It's easier to orient on the card with it.
  • Amound of village / city naming differs. The locus map naming is better in Zoom Level 8 and 9. Isn't it? (Maybe openandro is better for other resolutions?)[/b]

• Hillshade suggestion for Openandro and Locus:[/b]
      There is no hillshade map for locus to download not even a paied one.
      The payed version of *smand can download a build in hillshade map (sqlite). I'm using this in Locus offline. It would be great of someone could offer a hillshade map for locus, too.
      Unfortunately the *smand hillshade is available till Zoomlevel 11 only. Locus does not use the last Level 11 for Zoomlevel 12 and higher. So it is not visible. A new locus software improvment could use the last level availible for the other levels and streching the bitmap. It may not make sense to generate a hillshare till the deepest zoom level.
      https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... rent_level
  •  

joe76

Quote from: "jurajs"hi joe.... France is missing at the moment... please be patient... I am trying to build brand new maps at the moment... but tihs can take few more days.... please check again in a week or so....

jurajs

Not sure, where to find the new maps you might have created eight weeks ago?
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "gazoox"Suggested improvment in Openandro:
  • Zoom Level 8 and 9 should always have wood area drawed. It's easier to orient on the card with it.
Yes its true - the appearence ist better with wood rendered on level 8 and 9.
However, I hate to see maps slow loading and/or crashing on low powered phones, level 7-9 is most critical in urban areas so I try to avoid huge polygones and all tags not _really_ necessary.
In more remote areas like whole SouthAmerica, Africa, Asia, Russia and Iceland the mapping is much more detailed in lower zoom levels (wood appears on level 8) - thats why I avoid the "zoom-min" in my themes and determine the map-appearence by the tag-mapping while rendering.
There are 7 different tag-mappings for the openandromaps adjusted to the needs of the area maps are covering.

• Amound of village / city naming differs. The locus map naming is better in Zoom Level 8 and 9. Isn't it? (Maybe openandro is better for other resolutions?)[/b]
This is an anoying problem with mapsforge, you can do what you want, sometimes the Labels (names) are rendered by chance - the mapsforge group is aware of this problem and will (hopefully) solve it in one of the next versions.

• Hillshade suggestion for Openandro and Locus:[/b]
    There is no hillshade map for locus to download not even a paied one.
Hillshading is possible with offline overlays, both Menion and Me have tried this and for me its not the way to go, the amount of data is crazy.
An overlay covering the Alps is as heavy as 9GB (level 5-15), with 8 parallel treads compressing every single tile of a couple of millions on a fast machine it takes days to finally have a size of (still crazy) 3GB.
This tread my find your attention:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2923&hilit=hillshade

So I suggest to wait a while till Menion releases his on device hillshade renderer.
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

gazoox

Hello Christian.

Thanks for the rationale.

QuoteYes its true - the appearence ist better with wood rendered on level 8 and 9.
However, I hate to see maps slow loading and/or crashing on low powered phones, level 7-9 is most critical in urban areas so I try to avoid huge polygones and all tags not _really_ necessary.
In more remote areas like whole SouthAmerica, Africa, Asia, Russia and Iceland the mapping is much more detailed in lower zoom levels (wood appears on level 8) - thats why I avoid the "zoom-min" in my themes and determine the map-appearence by the tag-mapping while rendering.
There are 7 different tag-mappings for the openandromaps adjusted to the needs of the area maps are covering.
... But only of you use map+rendering tool (like locus) without customizsation.. With a custom map theme where the wood (for example) is disabled for that zoom level can do the optimisation for low performant hardware device (Hey... This could be a new feature request for locus: speed optimized vector map themes...)

As an alternative suggestion this leads me to a feature request I did mont ago: Different Map sources (vector or bitmap) for each zoom level  :mrgreen: . For example "vector map" on higher zoom and the lower end "bitmap renderings", which looks sometimes better than vector..

QuoteHillshading is possible with offline overlays, both Menion and Me have tried this and for me its not the way to go, the amount of data is crazy.
An overlay covering the Alps is as heavy as 9GB (level 5-15), with 8 parallel treads compressing every single tile of a couple of millions on a fast machine it takes days to finally have a size of (still crazy) 3GB.
This tread my find your attention:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2923&hilit=hillshade
So I suggest to wait a while till Menion releases his on device hillshade renderer.
Thanks for the hint. I didn't know that IT is in the pipeline.
  •  

voldapet

One short commnet...ehm :)
 We'll very likely remove wood areas from zoom levels 8 – 9 (in internal Locus themes and maps). Rendering in these levels is very poor and wooded areas are the easiest way how to speed up rendering of maps.
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "gazoox"As an alternative suggestion this leads me to a feature request I did mont ago: Different Map sources (vector or bitmap) for each zoom level  :mrgreen: . For example "vector map" on higher zoom and the lower end "bitmap renderings", which looks sometimes better than vector..

Done  ;)

I uploaded a World-Map for both Locus+ all App's capable to handle sqlitedb and one for Orux.
Covered zoom-level: 4-9, bitmap, OSM-Mapnik
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

Menion

heh, you're around 10 minutes late :D

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3189&p=21696#p21696
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "menion"heh, you're around 10 minutes late :D

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3189&p=21696#p21696

No, No, NOooo,
I uploaded them 2 days ago !!!
 :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

So the golden banana is MINE

:mrgreen:
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

Menion

ah, damn ... you won, for now :)

anyway vector map of world in locus should be interesting also for you. We did this mainly because we want to speed up some levels (you may check our map with levels 1 - 8) and thanks to this, we should change intervals in vector maps and optimize more critical levels 11, 12
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "menion"ah, damn ... you won, for now :)
and thanks to this, we should change intervals in vector maps and optimize more critical levels 11, 12

If you mean to modify the default base-zoom-levels and add one (or some) - I use this in the Netherlands, France and GB map.
It speeds up the rendering if the tagmapping is carefully adjusted to these base levels.
However, the problem with the original Mapsforge implementation is that the detail reduction applies for all zoom-level that resides within a base range that touches level <12.

So if you have a zoom-interval-conf=5,0,6,8,7,9,11,10,12,15,13,21 level 12 is redered wit simplification (usualy its not) cause the intervall 11,10,12 is lower than the simplification limit of 12

Hmmm.. confusing, I hope you get the picture.
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

Menion

yes, I understand ... It's mainly task for Peter, I'm doing just android app anyway I'm aware of this problem. Anyway I'm sure there is space for improvements. It's also possible to improve a mapwritter itself. We'll see ...
  •  

gazoox

Quote from: "kech61"I uploaded a World-Map for both Locus+ all App's capable to handle sqlitedb and one for Orux.
Covered zoom-level: 4-9, bitmap, OSM-Mapnik
Nice!

With the conversation it make sense to avoid manual map switching:
https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... zoom_level  :idea:

:!: A user defined pattern for specific map source for specific zoom level would might give a very good flexibility...
@ Menion: Please consider it for an upcoming locus version.
 :arrow: Combining BITMAP map for "world/nation overview" (openandro / prepared googlemap) and VECTOR for in deep details IS absolutely necessary!
  •  

Menion

Suggest to check last test version. As we talked here with kech, funny thing happen and we both bring world map at once. Anyway world map in test version is automatically used for levels 1-8 so there is no need for some manual switch

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  •  

jusc

I wonder a bit about the diffrence between "world" in Locus pro and in latest test version.
And I´m not sure what is better...

click for better view
Regards J.
  •