Possibility for different map source at each zoom level

Started by gazoox, April 02, 2012, 21:33:45

gazoox

Feature request: Possibility to mix different maps sources, single assigned for a zoom level.

Hi.
I am permanentely using a mixture of two different maps types. The First is a sqlite created (bitmap) map from google maps download with mobac and the Second is a vector map created with osmosis.

The reason is easy: google maps looks better on low zoom levels but it is too big to download down to deep zoom levels. A vectormap is essential when using a whole country with detail in high zoom leven. When zooming down, the vectormaps of OSM has better detail quality than google maps and much better poi quality.

A way to create a "new map" with different map sources, one assigned to each zoom level is the key to sucess.
The "new map" could be just like an xml file or so referencing the .sqlite or .map files on the sd card. For me this would be an unique feature.  :ugeek:

Map example:

A) sqlite, googemaps (created with mbac), ~3GB
Zoom level 1-6 whole world
Zoom level 7-8 whole EU
Zoom level 8-10 whole Germany
Zoom level 11-14 selected areas in Germany
Zoom level >=15 not suitable due to size

B) mapsforge vectormap,OSM, germany complete, 1.3GB
- ALL Zoom levels down to view with big amount of pois visible. (I think the pois in OSM are best in comparison to all other possible map sources)
- Self re-created with osmosis. I wanted more details to come visible at earlier zoom levens than the avialable .map files. (I don't know the locus vector downloads if  the element visibility is different to the other free vector downloads..)

Idea:
A+B)
- Creating a map which include zoom level + coresponding map source for example in an xml file...
- Zoom level 1-14: Map A (sqlite) is choosen automatically
- Zoom level 15+: Map B (vector) is choosen automatically

Have a nice day.
Gazoox
  •  

Starman

Funny alias "gazooks"! :)
Interesting concept. It is similar to map quick-switch, but in vertical instead of horizontal, and not manual, but automagic.
+1 from me.
"I saw the angel in the marble, and carved until I set him free." -  Michelangelo
  •  

Menion

gazooks, nice idea but please post it on https://getsatisfaction.com/locus
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gazoox

Good day everyone.

:arrow:  Please vote for this feature  :!:

https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... zoom_level

... and call my my name right with a great X
  •