Was ist die "Azimut Linie"?

Started by franc, March 30, 2012, 07:12:05

Gammalerik

By the way, Menion... How about a new optional line: A "Compass line" that displays the data from the magnetic compass? 8-) That would be very nice
  •  

Menion

hmm this is what we discuss with tommi before. Current line just display "Course bearing" if you have compass disable, or orientation from compass if you have it enabled (in settings or GPS screen) ... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1748#p11011
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

franc

Quote from: "menion"...franc: everything clear?
Yes and thank you! I use it :)
Locus Pro - always the actual version on Xiaomi Mi A1 mit Android 9
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,
  sorry but I need to open this discussion again :)

I read Gammalerik description. Understand, no problem. Anyway I also found this one http://www.paddlinglight.com/articles/t ... -headings/ because I wasn't sure about our result "Course bearing line"

and as I think about it

when you have disabled internal compass, then your orientation is took from GPS, so arrow will display "Course Bearing"

when you enable internal compass, then arrow show orientation of your device, so it display "Heading" right?

so "Course Bearing line" is not best in all cases ... damn :)
  •  

tommi

Why not say it's course bearing line if GPS reports movement and it's heading if GPS reports no movement and device orientation is taken from compass?
  •  

Menion

because  in settings page is very short line for some "name"
  •  

Gammalerik

This why I suggested a new additional line, the "compass line" to avoid confusion.
In my example below I have enabled "hardware compass", but the course bearing (azimuth line) still shows my direction. Which I think should be so. I am pointing my phone at 170 degrees while walking towards 130 degrees.

To sum up: Everything is totally ok right now. With the addition of the compass line ;)
Then we will have bearing to objective from the "guide line", heading and/or bearing from a "compass line" and course bearing.
PS, I have also suggested some extra info on the course bearing line, speed and degrees:)
[attachment=0:1x1so5pp]Screenshot_2012-03-31-19-57-42.jpg[/attachment:1x1so5pp]
  •  

Menion

uff, worst than I expect due to some better handling of internal hardware compass (not to waste battery when compass isn't needed)

so done. New settings added so both lines can be enabled separately. Only small problem is that "course bearing" line have one second delay. I need to compute your movement from current and previous location.

so needed improvements (and also small help from those who are interested in this)

I don't want to add some more settings for these lines. I think Locus preferences are overfill :). So I would like to set both lines on some "best" values that will not be changeable. So question is arrow symbols, color! and also some texts along this arrow (which I don't think are really necessary)
  •  

Gammalerik

Personally I do not mind that course bearing has a little delay. If this helps to save battery then all is well. Actually, if it was to be computed every two seconds that would be just as fine. Concerning the hardware compass, I am using "heavy filter" setting to make it less twitchy. With a compass line this gets even more important so the line do not go "all over the place". Maybe a "ultra, ultra heavy filter" could be used?:) Perhaps even remove the filter option entirely and make a VERY strong filter default? Unless battery is affected from heavy filters...

As for colors:
-Course bearing. Red is already perfect. Highly visible for topo, seacharts and photos. Also when the sun shines on the screen. Highly visible in night modus too. Vital text for movement is speed and degrees.
-Compass line. Orange for high visibility just as the "show view" bracket? Vital text is just degrees. As for the arrows...Hmm, are they needed at all? This will make it stand out from other lines and also reduce screen clutter.

I guess pressing the compass button in the GPS-screen will turn the line on/off -and equally so for "use hardware compass"?
  •  

franc

After testing it on the field, now I noticed that indeedly I haven't understand yet what the arrow means.
On these screenshots, taken while I was walking:
http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images ... 8-orig.jpg
http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images ... 9-orig.jpg
I have my "Azimuth line" directing to where I am heading directionly, but the blue Arrow (my location), is pointing just somewhere, I don't know where to.
I have checked the hardware compass on.
Locus Pro - always the actual version on Xiaomi Mi A1 mit Android 9
  •  

tommi

I have observed the same but line (what ever the name will be) and arrow not always point to different directions.
  •  

Menion

wait please till next version :) (tommi should test it later during week on testing version). I'm not sure if there is or was a problem, but some part of orientation handling has changes so maybe it will also fix this issue
  •  

Gammalerik

Quote from: "franc"After testing it on the field, now I noticed that indeedly I haven't understand yet what the arrow means.
On these screenshots, taken while I was walking:
http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images ... 8-orig.jpg
http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images ... 9-orig.jpg
I have my "Azimuth line" directing to where I am heading directionly, but the blue Arrow (my location), is pointing just somewhere, I don't know where to.
I have checked the hardware compass on.
All is correct here. The red line shows your direction of movement and the blue arrow shows where you point your phone when compass is enabled. If you disable the compass, the blue arrow and red line will show the exact same.
(the blue arrow has a dual function based on whether compass is on or off)

But as Menion said, we will have to see what the next version brings. Two separate lines, one for compass and one for movement direction will probably save some confusion AND bring better navigational possibilities.
  •  

tommi

I tested this now with the current test version 2.2.0.3. Have a look at the result.
1) GPS reports some movement, HW compass enabled: red and orange line are on the screen (screenshot)
2) GPS reports no movement, HW compass enabled: orange line and cone visible
3) GPS not in sync, HW compass enabled: no lines, only the orange cone
4) GPS disabled, HW compass enabled: no lines, no orange cone

1) and 2) are as I expected, for 3) and 4) I'm not sure.
Gammalerik, any comments?
  •  

Menion

this behavior is similar to "Show view" ... I just need to have GPS enabled to show some lines for you. When GPS is off, from where should I draw orange line? From map center? It doesn't have sense because map center should be anywhere ... so GPS On is minimal condition for orange line. GPS On + movement is condition for red line (your real movement)
  •