Joining Maps

Started by davidvincentjones, March 14, 2012, 17:56:09

davidvincentjones

I have several pieces of detailed Swiss maps (already on Locus) ... the pieces are overlapping.
Is there some way that I can join them into one contiguous map?

David
  •  

Menion

hello David,
  you use SQlite maps? I personally do not know any method. Locus allow simply to download another part of map into previously downloaded one, anyway this is not your case. Maybe anyone other? Maybe Mapc2Mapc program allow this?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

kerenoc

If you kept the original tiles or are able to extract them from the maps files you have, you may merge their directories in a single one and have Mobac use it to generate the big map in a Locus compatible format.

I've been doing this for topo maps in France.
  •  

davidvincentjones

Thanks for the response ... I have pulled the sqlitedb files and  have Mobac iinstaled but not sure where to start on the process.
Could you please give me some guidance on steps to take.

Thanks;

David
  •  

Starman

If your swiss maps are sqlite, I believe if you were to create the directory:

Locus/maps/Swiss  

and place both swiss maps inside that directory, they would remain seperate, but Locus would see them as one map.
"I saw the angel in the marble, and carved until I set him free." -  Michelangelo
  •  

davidvincentjones

Wonderful .. and easy.

Now .. is there some way that I can see the entire map on Mobac. It would be nice to see an overview of the area that I have covered.

David
  •  

Starman

David-
By "overview", do you mean just a lesser zoom level that would cover the combined maps?
Also, what was the source of your swiss maps, did you download on Locus?
And what type of map, Google Hybrid, Classic, etc?
"I saw the angel in the marble, and carved until I set him free." -  Michelangelo
  •  

davidvincentjones

I was fortunate to download the Swiss map pieces, from Locus, prior to the material being taken off line.

I would like to be able to see the entire coverage that I now have. On the phone it is difficult to really visualize where there are data 'holes' even when I zoom out.
  •  

Starman

Some maps were restored with the "tweak". Do you have the "tweak"?
  •  

davidvincentjones

What, where is the "tweak" and how does one use it?
  •  

davidvincentjones

OK .. I found Tweak ... but how does that help with my question?
  •  

Starman

I'm still not sure which map you used to create your Swiss maps.
If the tweak did not give you your map back ( you may have to go to Settings>Map>Online maps to find out), we're done.
If it did give you your map back-

You could remove your two swiss maps and create a new map, complete with a zoom that shows entire country.
OR
You could create a third map, that shows your "overview", and throw it into your "Swiss" folder.
Locus will "combine" all three.

If you get your map back, but it is one of those that allows online viewing, but not mass downloading,
I can show you how to defeat the system.
  •  

davidvincentjones

We appear to be at cross purposes here ... let me try and explain more fully.

I have downloaded from the Locus site a number of pieces of Swiss National maps (that are no longer available, I assume due to their proprietary nature)
Nothing is lost!. All that I know about the maps is that they carry a "sqlitedb" extension.

My initial question was answered ..... having put all the pieces into a single folder they now appear to function basically as a single map .. wonderful.

My current question is this: I would like to be able to view (on my home computer screen) the entire mapset so that I can see the extent of the data and holes in the information. So, I am looking for a way to view all of the assembled pieces on the 'big' screen.

I hope I cleared up the misunderstanding ... ;=))

David
  •  

Starman

Now I gotcha! You want to look at the map on a real computer. Yes, that would involve a conversion of the sqlite, something I have not done. I am not a GIS professional, so at this point, I invite one of the heavy hitters to jump in here.

Starman
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: "Starman"If your swiss maps are sqlite, I believe if you were to create the directory:

Locus/maps/Swiss  

and place both swiss maps inside that directory, they would remain seperate, but Locus would see them as one map.

Hi,
this trick does not work for me:
I have two (original online) maps from outdooractive.com (Germany and Austria), placed them in /maps/outdoor, but Locus pro 2.1.1 and free 2.1.1.6 see only the german map.
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •