Some Geocaching related questions

Started by druki, February 26, 2012, 17:36:54

druki

Hello menion and all the other supporters here,,
thank you for the excellent App and the firstclass support in this forum!

I have some geocaching related issues. I searched the forum but did not find answers to the following points:

1. GC code in aditional waypoints:
I can not see the GC-Code of aditional waypoints in the overview of waypounts of a geocache.
Is it possible to displsy GC-Code in the aditional waypoint overwiew?
Background: Its hard to assign calculated coordinates/information to a waypoint if I don't know which is the next waypoint in the list (I prefer sorting by distance, but this can't be done if the waypoints still have no coordinates. And distance is not allways correct for the assigning to the next waypoint).

2. GC Addon integration:
If I click on a geocache in locus map, I get the details of the waypoint. At the menu of the lower most right butto (two wheels), I can see two entries of the Geocaching-Addon. They are now both named "Geocaching4Locus". I remember them named correctly by their function: "Update Cache" and "nearby geocaches" (or some similar naming). Is this an issue with Locus or the Addon?

3. handling types of waypoints:
I understand that Locus maybe is primary not designed for geocaching. So we have two views of information about a waypoint and geocache-details. I have some trouble with
- the handling of updating geocache-details within the details-view (I have to go to the main waypoint view to select the update for the cache via GC addon). Is it possible to update within the geocache-details?
- getting directly to the waypointview from within the geocache-detail view (actually I go back to the map to search and click the waypoint again). Is or could be there a shortcut (it's not very important if the update in geocache-details works)?
- changing an aditional waypoint of a geocache into a normal waypoint (or the other way). Is this possible?
Background: Sometimes I make waypoints and later find out that it would be useful to have it as the other type. I used this function in GeOrg a lot.

4. Bug in Listing view?
In geocache-details at "Listing" if I switch between portrait and landscape, the content is not displayed any more. Closing and calling the geocache-details in the desired view (portrait/landscape) shows the Listing correctly.

If you have a solution, a hint or a workarround, I would apreciate it.
Greetings,
Druki with Motorola Defy+
  •  

dibrial

I would like to make an addition to the questions:

When doing a projection, the new waypoint get the original (non-projected) coordinates as a title. This is a bit confusing when seeing this waypoint on the screen.
I would rather see something like 'Projection from (original WP title)' as a title. Can this be done?
  •  

Menion

Druki, excellent report, thank you!!

1. improvements on screenshot, possible? ;)

2. thanks. It's new issue, fixed

3. I'll think about it and mainly read it once more to fully understand :)

4. fixed, thanks

dibrial: thanks, wrong name of new point. because source can be coordinates and not just specific waypoins, I just fixed result name to be created from correct coordinates
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

druki

1: Yes, looks very good in the screenshot with the direction an the distance! I love it!
Some optimizing: The coordinates of the waypoints would also be nice in this overview.

3: I try to explain in short words:
We have "normal waypoints" and "aditional waypoints". Is it possible to switch this type of waypoint (meaning: transfering it)?
i.e. if I added an "aditional waypoint" in a geocache-view I would like to switch it later to an "normal waypoint".
Or if I created a "normal waypoint" I would like to use it later as an "aditional waypoint" in a geocache.
Maybe this request is not possible due to different informations stored in the two types of waypoints?

Two more wishes (please tell me if I bother you):
5. In the geocache details it would also be useful to display the GC-Code (right beside the terrain/difficulty the should be space for it).
6. The aditional waypoints seem to be in a fixed order. Is it possible to make them sortable (name/distance/GC-ode/original order)?

Again: thank you for the great support!
Greetings,
Druki.
  •  

Menion

1. do you mean there is enough space also for coordinates? I don't think so ...

3. understand. This is not possible now. You may create new waypoint and set coordinates by "pick from map" and select geocache waypoint as source (or opposite). This will create point with same location. At least something

5. added

6. I think that just for (usually) 1 - 5 waypoints, it's not much useful

Anyway, I personally gladly do ideas that are interesting by me. If I deny something, feel free to post ideas to GetSatisfaction. When there will be enough stars for you idea, I'll for sure do something with it
  •  

druki

1. You are right, it's not worth a new line and will not fit in an existing one. Distance and direction is perfect.

3. good idea, thanks!

Thank you for your good work, I'm looking forward to the next release!
  •  

Rev

Good points from druki and thanks for implementing/fixing those :)

I already suggested some other geocaching related stuff in another post but wanted to bring it up here again because it fits the topic.

Question in short: Would it be possible to make an option to only display all waypoints of a specific type (e.g. all finals, all parking...) on the map? Background is described in the other post.

Thanks,
Rev
  •  

Rev

Oh and another thing, what about implementing support for GCVote?
That would be great! A additional/related thing would be to display the Favorite count and/or Premium/Fav ratio.

Regards,
Rev
  •  

Menion

rev, these ideas should be interesting for geocachers. For me, they're not much important so please post them on GetSatisfaction site. Thanks
  •  

druki

Now with the Version 2.0.2 a lot of my questions are answered and wishes are fulfilled - thank you!

I have one little bug and a wish left:

The new feature of altitude information by SRTM is great and also seems to work for aditional waypoints of geocaches. But the information is not saved permanently (if I look at the waypoint later, the altitude information is gone). Is there a chance to fix it?

The wish is to be able to update the geocache-information within the geocache detail view by the geocaching addon or (alternative) be able to go back to general waypoint view of the geocache with one click (where I call the geocaching addon there).
My workarround now is to jump from geocache detail view back to the map, search the waypoint and recall it again to update with the geocaching addon.
  •