Google Maps support?

Started by soravis, February 11, 2012, 17:37:08

soravis

Hi!

I just started using Locus (Pro), and noticed that Google Maps is missing from the built-in online maps. Now, I started googling like crazy, and also read any manual and forum I could find, and still I'm clueless. There are traces of information regarding there was once support for it, but not anymore. I even found a thread, where Menion asks about google maps API possibilities, but that was almost a year ago. I could understand if it was impossible to use gmaps in a 3rd party app, but AlpineQuest does it, so...
The only satellite map is MapQuest now, and that's not so perfect...
If someone could enlighten me on the current situation, I would be grateful.

regards
Soravis
  •  

Menion

Hello Soravis,
  using of Google maps is allowed only in one condition. Google provide their own API for android for accessing their maps. But this API is not usable for me to implement into Locus. When Locus was just for free, it was possible for me to use their maps ... by use I mean stole. But when I ask for money for payed version, my conscience do not allow me to use stolen maps.

As I look on AplineQuest and also on many other map application, this is very easy - they stole their maps. That's all ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

soravis

Oh well... As i understand this is not only a moral decision on your half, but a strict copyright issue as well.
Does this mean that other non-free apps use maps illegally?..  That's... risky :D
Thanks for the quick reply!
  •  

Menion

yes it's not just moral decision, you're right. Risky ... yes, but as you can see, 95% of apps use these maps illegally and google seems don't case. Unfortunately for me.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "soravis"Oh well... As i understand this is not only a moral decision on your half, but a strict copyright issue as well.

On the Android market, search for Maptweak. If your conscience lets you, install it  ;)
  •  

bodi

Hello!
One quick question - I have a free version of Locus. Installed MapTweak and google did not appear.

Is it something wrong with my phone/configuration. Can I be sure that after purchase of Pro version I will have the google maps available?

Thanks
  •  

jusc

I donĀ“t think so, because MapTweak should work for Locus Pro in the same way.
Regards J.
  •