importing GPX-tracks: Umlaute problem

Started by Rob, January 22, 2012, 09:49:06

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Am I the only One with this issue?
Then it should be a question of my settings.
Can anybody help me pls?

when importing my old gpx tracks all "Umlaute"  ä, ö, ü, ...  are changed in strange letters, also in description.
I checked gpx  files with editor and names are correct. Codes are either ISO or UTF-8.
Any setting what I can change ?
Example see below.

edit:  kml files are imported correctly.

Thx for help.


import this file in various tools (trackeditor, gpxeditor, google earth,...)
and you will see: in all this tools is the same problem.
so i think the problem is the file itself.

btw. was a nice trip  ;)


thx gynta.
I checked and you are right....
Nevertheless I´m confused:
Opening the gpx file with Notepad - everything looks fine.
Open it with Wordpad, the Umlaute are wrong.
So - in my opinion - it´s not the file itself, but the interpretation of the reading program and/or the encoding.

Would you pls check YOUR setting of encoding when exporting and re-import a gpx file. I checked ISO-8859-1.

Maybe Menion can explain how to overcome this problem.

I´m wondering that I´m the only one with this problem, beeing sure not to be the only german/austria speaking user of Locus :-)

EDIT: I found the problem: it´s the encoding !  With UTF-8 everything is fine with GPX !

Question: cannot remember that I changed export settings ( do not even know WHERE to change ..), so why are tracks in previous version exported in ISO  and now in UTF ????

And WHERE can I check oder change the export settings for gpx ??


Yes, first line should be:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>or
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>I told you. it's your file.  ;)
which tool did you used to export this old gpx-files?


Yes, I found it, but do not understand, why it suddenly was ISO?
I exported from Locus, saved it on my Server, deleted all my tracks from my Tab and imported just selected ones. And then I got this Problem.
Do you know where to change export format in Locus?


Your file was create in the summer 2011?
plz log a new short track - export the track to gpx an read the header again.
should look like:
Quote<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<gpx version="1.1" creator="Locus Android"
In your "Würflach.gpx" the creator is "Android" e.g


it's possible that this was some older version of export in Locus. Do you have a lot of tracks that have this issue? If not, that I mean that more important is what write gynta in last post ... to check if same issues is happen also in last version of locus (when you export/import tracks)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems):
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download


Well I do have about 20 tracks exported with Umlaute. Main Problem is not the Tracktitle but the description. There is a lot to correct.
But anyhow, exporting and re-importing of newly created Tracks work! So, at least its not a common Problem.
You can close this issue, I will correct one by one....

Thx for all answers.

Menion,  thx for indicating base map in the personal map dir.