Making Offline maps

Started by hamiksu, January 16, 2012, 07:31:58

hamiksu

@berkley.. I understand your point, but you seem to have missed mine.. if there are, please do point to me where I mentioned "I expect Locus to do this, do that... I have always been asking, is it "possible" to do this, or that?.. so please don't misunderstand my questions for demands.. as to this, most smartphones have way more firepower in terms of memory and processor (aside from shorter battery lasting power) than garmin sets, so there is probably no reason why smartphones will not be able to do what a Garmin GPS unit can do.. but again.. all I am asking here is always, is it possible..?

But i guess for the moment, probably won't be possible at this time..

@rijackson... not sure you will believe me on this but.. those are road systems.. LOL.. and it took me 7 months of hiking, bike riding and car bumping rides to get those data.. and as mentioned before, this is just one part of them.. LOL..

so since using tracks imported and shown on real time is impossible for my amount of track data, I am wondering whether there is any software that you guys can recommend to make offline maps with my data.. I suppose I can make a picture format of these data and somehow implant coordinates into it for LOCUS to recognize ,but I am unsure as to what software that can do that.. a pointer here would be great..

p.s :- @menion, do locus recognize IMG files as offline maps? thanks for your patience in this.. since I am at it,  what type of format for offline maps does LOcus recognized btw, if you don't mind me asking..

@berkely .. hmm, OSM mappers huh? ok, I will take a look.. thanks.. one last question... can it make offline maps that can be recognized by LOCUS?
  •  

berkley

Quote from: "hamiksu"@rijackson... not sure you will believe me on this but.. those are road systems.. LOL.. and it took me 7 months of hiking, bike riding and car bumping rides to get those data.. and as mentioned before, this is just one part of them.. LOL..
Are these roads private to you? If not, you could consider to share with the whole world ;)
Submit these tracks to OSM.

Quote from: "hamiksu"so since using tracks imported and shown on real time is impossible for my amount of track data, I am wondering whether there is any software that you guys can recommend to make offline maps with my data.. I suppose I can make a picture format of these data and somehow implant coordinates into it for LOCUS to recognize ,but I am unsure as to what software that can do that.. a pointer here would be great...
Well, Locus can do this. There is a feature called "On-board map calibration"...  :mrgreen:

Quote from: "hamiksu"hmm, OSM mappers huh? ok, I will take a look.. thanks.. one last question... can it make offline maps that can be recognized by LOCUS?
I don't know, how mapping with OSM works. But see these links to get started:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Making_Overview
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Merkaartor
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM

Suopported map formats in Locus are SQLite, TAR maps, MBT maps, GEMF, Rmap (taken from the market description). I don't know if there are others in the meantime.
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "hamiksu"@rijackson... not sure you will believe me on this but.. those are road systems.. LOL.. and it took me 7 months of hiking, bike riding and car bumping rides to get those data.. and as mentioned before, this is just one part of them.. LOL..

I see. I asked because some of them are small pieces that are not connected to anything else. But if they are a mixture of roads and trails, I guess that is possible.

I know very little about OSM, but I believe a lot of the mapping was done by people in cars, on bikes, or hiking, recording tracks and converting them into maps. So I think you should follow Berkeley's suggestion, and look into that more.

Another question out of curiosity: Are there no maps already available with these roads already on them?
  •  

hamiksu

@berkley.. sadly, it is extremely P & C.. so uploading it is not possible..

huh? Locus with on-board map calibration can make offline maps? you are not pulling my leg, are you?

as to OSM mapper.. i see it is kind of like an online maping software.. meaning I need to be online to do this. sadly, where I do those tracks, internet connection is a no no.. i have to look for other options then.. but honestly, starting to give up...

i have googled around the whole day looking for any software that can help me convert my tracks to offline maps in the following file formats you mentioned, berkley, and I think none of them does what it wants me to do (after fiddling around with the trials) and most needs online connection too..
back to the drawing board for me then..

@rijackson.. trust me when I say there are no maps for those roads I made.. period.. haha..  I might look around some more software to make offline maps today.. but as mentioned, starting to lose hope.. might end up going back to my bulky garmin sets then, but there are some things that garmin can't do that LOCUS can.. sooo.. and obviously, there are also things that Garmin can do that LOCUS can't (albeit, with some limitations)..

ai ya ya ya.. what a dilemma I am in..

anyway, again, wanna thank you guys for taking the time to read my post and give some good advices.. appreciate it lots.. I hope I don't rub anyone the wrong way either in my posts.. if I did (probably un-intentionally), I humbly apologize here .
  •  

berkley

So, you probably missundertstood the part about the tracks on OSM.

People like you are recording tracks. No need to have an internet connection for this. When they are back at home, the export their tracks from their device and put them into their PC. They use the mapping software from OSM to load these tracks into it. These tracks are displayed as layers. Along these layers they can create roads, paved roads, highways, rivers, lakes and so on. Whatever fits to the track they have recorded. When they are finished, they usually promote the data to OSM.
You only have to find a way to export these maps into some format, that is supported by Locus.

About map calibration: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=377
Try out yourself ;)
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

hamiksu

Quote from: "berkley"So, you probably missundertstood the part about the tracks on OSM.

People like you are recording tracks. No need to have an internet connection for this. When they are back at home, the export their tracks from their device and put them into their PC. They use the mapping software from OSM to load these tracks into it. These tracks are displayed as layers. Along these layers they can create roads, paved roads, highways, rivers, lakes and so on. Whatever fits to the track they have recorded. When they are finished, they usually promote the data to OSM.
You only have to find a way to export these maps into some format, that is supported by Locus.

About map calibration: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=377
Try out yourself ;)

I think the on map calibration would be a good way to do things the way I wanted.. problem is, I am using locus Free..

my co-worker, who uses pro is the one that introduced me Locus, and the ONE who bugged me to ask you guys these questions (ok ok, I admit,
I wanted to ask them too.. haha)..

guess I'll kidnapped his phone to try this feature out and see whether it is perfect for my tasks or not.. Now to make a picture format of my tracks..

anyway, thanks for your feedback, berkley.. you're the man!
  •  

hamiksu

question for Menion..

dude, is there a future plan to make LOCUS recognize IMG files as custom maps?
  •