Making Offline maps

Started by hamiksu, January 16, 2012, 07:31:58

hamiksu

Quote from: "menion"no actually it's not. They're really small aren't they? :) are they really so noisy?

haha,.. well, I tried to turn all those 1718 tracks (sorry, i mis-informed previously, it wasn't over 2k tracks)
and have them for view only and no import..

the good part is, it collected the data super fast and doesn't crash on my..

sad part, it doesn't show a huge portion of those tracks..
and those start and end dots, it was all over the tracks that managed to get shown..
makes me go boggle eyed.. haha

so was wondering whether there is an option to just show the tracks without those dots.
;p
  •  

rijackson741

If all your tracks are in a single KML or KMZ file, try this:

1) Copy the file to the /Locus/mapItems directory.
2) In Locus, go to the menu, "functions", "Map item manager". You should see your file. Check the box to view the tracks as an overlay on your current map.
3) To remove the tracks go to the menu, "functions", "Remove temp map items" (you can't remove them from the Map item manager because this "trick" is not officially supported).

It doesn't get rid of the black dots, but it is a way to view all the tracks without importing them all to the tracks database.
  •  

Menion

I'm worried that for such huge number of track, this will be slow and may cause OutOfMemory error ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

1718 tracks? :shock: = unusual and not related to practice...

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"I'm worried that for such huge number of track, this will be slow and may cause OutOfMemory error ...

Maybe. But I agree with Gynta that this number of tracks can never be needed all at one time. The KML file could be broken down into a number of smaller files (for example using Google Earth) that are easier to load.
  •  

hamiksu

did I mentioned that 1718 tracks are just one part of what I am trying to achieve?
hahaha..

well, it does seem kind of impossible especially with the load of data I am trying to get shown in the map for real time viewing and navigating
at the same time..

@rijackson, hmm... ok, I will check it out and let you know how it goes..

@menion.. i know this is asking too much, but is it possible to include in future updates to give us the option to disable those start and end dots?
;p
  •  

hamiksu

ok, i tried rijacksons method..

faster load and all, but same result as when I tried to import the KML files for view only..

it only shows a very truncated version of my actual tracks..

so i suppose loading from KML or KMZ for viewing only seems a rather daunting task..
only way I can think of is to make an offline map and had it load up by locus..

but trying mapc2mapc2 and MOBAC doesn't seem to gather those GPX tracks I made and put it into the offline..
anyone here uses anything that can input self made tracks into the offline maps?

thank you for the replies thus far guys, I really appreciate it lots..

p.s :- if you guys wanna see a sample of my tracks and what is loaded on LOCUS, i may be able to do it if you guys need a clearer picture of what I am trying to achieve..thanks
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "hamiksu"...is it possible to include in future updates to give us the option to disable those start and end dots?
use the settings...

gynta

Quote from: "hamiksu"...you guys wanna see a sample of my tracks..
nop thx

hamiksu

Quote from: "gynta"
Quote from: "hamiksu"...is it possible to include in future updates to give us the option to disable those start and end dots?
use the settings...

where in the settings because I've gone through it several times already and don't see an option for it
  •  

Menion

in settings is ability to disable big icons and show just dots. Since yesterday is there also possibility to completely disable these dots

about displaying truncated tracks ... are you sure? Try to zoom in and you're probably see complete tracks ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

hamiksu

Quote from: "menion"in settings is ability to disable big icons and show just dots. Since yesterday is there also possibility to completely disable these dots

about displaying truncated tracks ... are you sure? Try to zoom in and you're probably see complete tracks ...

zoomed and still missing a large portion..

lemme put up the pics for you to see..

Data vs What is shown..

Data

What I see..
  •  

rijackson741

OK. I am curious enough to ask. What does the data represent?
  •  

berkley

I followed this thread long enough without answering. But now I finally have to ;)

Honestly, it is pretty much the same with all these other requests of huge data. Every system has its limits. And what you are trying to do - for what reason ever - is way above the limts. I hope this doesn't sound rude now, it isn't meant to be. Displaying that amount of data needs a bit more CPU and a bit more RAM than the Androids have right now. Menion squeezes every bit of power out of the system. Take this for sure.

Please understand, that you have to find a different way to realize your plan.
Only solution I can give you from my point of view (thanks rijackson for inspiration):
Open your Google Earth on the PC and group your tracks regions. For myself I can display in Loucs around 50 tracks at once without problems, but I don't know about the denisty of points in your tracks and how long they are. Export every group as kml. Load them one by one into Locus. But, don't display them at once. Be sure to group them in categories. I am sorry for now, that there aren't costum categories for tracks available. You will need to use "swimming" and "biking" and "hiking" and so. Now you can filter them and display just the tracks you need. If you made the regional grouping correct, you can always load the tracks you need just around you.
Next and very last try would be the way over Google MyMaps. Import your kml file(s) into Google Maps on your PC. Then you can load them via MyMaps feature in Loucs.
That's it. Don't blame Locus or its dev for a bad app. I firstly guess, no other android app brought you so far. And I secondly guess, no other community behind an app brought you that much answers and listen-to's.

About the usage of external PC programs... Why don't you ask them for support for what's on your mind?

And one last hint from me: Go for the OSM mappers. They have a nice PC program written in Java, where you can load kml and gpx files to generate the OSM maps. This is the way it is supposed to be used. But you can create your "own" map with this too. I don't know how it works, but for sure, the guys from OSM can give you hand.

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "berkley"I am sorry for now, that there aren't costum categories for tracks available. You will need to use "swimming" and "biking" and "hiking" and so.

If you load them via the Map item manager you can have custom groups of tracks. Not quite the same as custom categories, because all tracks in a group are either displayed or not displayed, but perhaps in this case that restriction is OK.
  •