Adding POI for Contact

Started by Ronin9, January 23, 2011, 02:56:59

Ronin9

First of all: loved the app! really, really loved. I had looked for somethig like that for a while, and was ready to settle for something way below this level... then I followed a lead ffrom GPS Status, and found Locus. It's really awesome, congratulations.

Now, to the point: this is not really a problem, it's more like a wish. Anyway, what happened was I did this:

'Data manager' -> 'Points' (choose category) -> 'Add' (first at bottom) -> 'Contact'

Then I added a contact. Locus assigns to the name of the POI the *address* of the contact. In the detailed POI info, it adds nothing. I think it would be nicer if it added the *name* of the contact as the name of the POI, and recorded its address on the proper POI fields. Would save a lot of work when adding multiple contacts!

[]'s,

Rodrigo
  •  

Ronin9

Another thing, and this really falls in the wishlist category: thre could be an option to update a POI based on GPS reading. For example, I added an address based on street and number, and Locus placed it slightly off on the map. In other words, Google or someone else gave it slightly wrong coordinates. I'd like to be able to update these coordinates based on an actual GPS reading (WITHOUT having to type it in, naturally...).

Rodrigo
  •  

Menion

Hi Rodrigo,
  interesting tip and wish ... so, after few hours fight, both fixed and added. Try in next version (0.9.7 I think) ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Ronin9

Menion,
There a couple things more that could be improved. When adding a POI by typing the address, there only one line to type the address. Then, this line is copied to the name of the POI.

The program could list all relevant lines separatelly (street, ZIP code, etc), and then create the POI with the info already on the correct places.

[]'s,
Rodrigo
  •  

Ronin9

Hey, I said there a couple of things, but forgot the second   :?

When a contact has two addresses (like and work, for example), two bugs occur: First, there is only one listing for the contact on the menu. I guess there sould be two, one for each address. Second, Locus merges both address into one, in a long line of text. And of course it has problems find it...

Test it for yourself: create a contact with two different address and try to add it as a POI.

Please don't take my comments on the bad side. It's an amazing piece of application, I would pay a lot of money for it even if it had only a tenth of the current features. The only reason I am taking my time to criticize is because I liked it so much  ;)

[]'s
Rodrigo
  •  

Menion

Hi,
don't worry, I like constructive critic!!

as I see, I actually released version with new bugs when adding contacts. Grr ... Oki oki, I see all problems :) and I'm sure, all should be fixed!

so let's go on it ...
  •  

Menion

so Rodrigo,
  test new testing version please :)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=194
  •  

Ronin9

Menion,
The new button to update POI's coordinates works just fine. I only tested it for the center of map option, but I assume that it works well for the other options as well...

However, the menu to add a POI from a contact is not working for me. Nothing happens when I click on it. Maybe it's a hardware problem... I am running an X10 from Sony.

[]'s
Rodrigo
  •  

Menion

then whole menu where you choose source of coordinates (GPS, Map center, ...) do not work for you or just when you click on "Contact" in this menu? But this worked for you before right? Grr ... what the f***...
  •  

Ronin9

The whole POI is working fine. The "New" button on the coordinates works fine, and it updates the coordinates of a POI based on Central Map or GPS as expected.

But when I click POI, New (the + sign on the bottom), and select Contact in the pop-up menu (to create a new POI based on an existing contact), nothig happens. Locus actually ponders for a while whether he will do what I ask, but after a couple seconds it gives up and goes out for a coffee or something...  :D The menu stays there, nothing crashes. If I choose something else, it works.

Rodrigo
  •  

Ronin9

Amann,
Sorry for the off-topic, but... does Locus cache maps automatically? I figures it does...

By the way, just got home today and tested download over wifi. Half of Manhathan and the whole of Miami, down to zoom 25 or something. About 450MB total. FuĀ§*%ng awesome. It even crashed midway and recovered by itself. Map rendering is ultra fast. Tested forced offline mode too, and GPS on airplane mode. All is good here, works like a charm.

[]'s
Rodrigo
  •  

Menion

thanks for your "test report" :) I'm glad that works ok. What about that crash? Locus throw force close? Or just any problem with internet connection?

I still have no idea, what's problem with contact adding. Today I'll release new beta version here on forum, so try it please and if all will be the same, I'LL create special debug version for you.

just one question? Do you use official xperia rom or any custom??
  •  

Ronin9

the problem was the internet connection. I got out of wifi's reach. then I got the "resume" menu on top of the download screen. and it worked, which I thought was really nice  ;)

warn me about the new version. as for the rom, it is official, as far as I know... but I flaseh it myself, it's rooted, and some original apps are missing. but there is nothing original about the core of the rom, I guess.

About the maps download: yesterday I checked the "weight" of the world in Google Classic (full map, all zooms). I guess you already know, but anyway, it's fun just to say the numbers  :D : about 1,5 billion tiles, 37.000GB. Which is cute, because we have a storage at work that has all our network, systems, ERP, backups, and 5 year's emails (4GB accounts for each of 400 employees)... and it's about half this size in total!
  •  

Menion

missing connection and no screen? Weird .. it' jsut should show at least adress search dialog. I'll look at it but I'm glad that this is working!

And map ... nice :D ... so my goal is now, allow to see 37.000GB big map! No problem (ehm, my only safe is that storage card are so small :) ) ...
  •  

Ronin9

No, I think I didn't explain myself. It worked exactly as it should. The download stopped ans resumed as expected.
  •