Navigation: re-use track

Started by Cascade, January 08, 2012, 10:35:24

Cascade

Hi, I've got some problems with navigation. I just can't find out how that works:

I entered navigation mode by providing a destination and a starting point. A route is created and everything seems to work fine. When I switch off the gidance mode, navigation is interrupted. However, the route is still marked on the map.

Until now, I didn't find a way to start navigation on this existing route again. Is there a way to do so?

Thanks,
Cascade
  •  

Menion

sure it is. you have to tap on visible track and select "navigate". Anyway, maybe issue should be, that you have to tap on route itself, not on red point that show crosses. When I write about it, seems to be too complicated .. hmm, ideas to make this action more simply are welcome of course
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Cascade

Oh, I see. That one was too easy for me... ;-)
I always tried with either the start or finish symbol. Might be a good idea to allow this action on them as well. Another thing I tried is to use the track in the data manager. Might be an option, too.
  •  

Menion

ah, good idea .. I'll improve it
  •  

Menion

hmm there were problem that when you tap on first/last point, you just received red point instead of the one you wanted. And on red points (some crosses with navigation orders) is not possible to start navigation. This is now fixed, so you can enabled navigation also on first/end point

about starting navigation from list of tracks - this is not currently working because when you tap on track, I can offer you options without need to load whole track from database. That's advantage mainly for editing (style) and deleting. So I don't know before load if track have navigation orders or can be used only for guiding. So I'll keep possibility to re-use track for navigation only by enabling from map ... for now
  •  

tommi

There were proposals made to improve re-use of tracks which would make it much more comfortable, please check:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1410
Seems from time to time some other users are interested in offline-navigation feature as well...
  •  

Menion

I know Tommi,
  I already have some part code in Locus that handle your request. Anyway I was facing quite a lot problem how to handle this settings like - what to do if user change some settings during navigation, when app crash, when ... when ... so if I don't know how exactly something do, I usually leave it for a while. I'm also waiting if MapsForge release in new library version support for offline routing. If so, I'll be very glad to improve navigation features
  •  

Cascade

Quote from: "menion"hmm there were problem that when you tap on first/last point, you just received red point instead of the one you wanted. And on red points (some crosses with navigation orders) is not possible to start navigation. This is now fixed, so you can enabled navigation also on first/end point

about starting navigation from list of tracks - this is not currently working because when you tap on track, I can offer you options without need to load whole track from database. That's advantage mainly for editing (style) and deleting. So I don't know before load if track have navigation orders or can be used only for guiding. So I'll keep possibility to re-use track for navigation only by enabling from map ... for now

That's good enough for me right now. It is not that easy using the track itself. For some reason, it seems to be tricky to hit the track within a town. It worked much better for me somewhere in between towns. But if first/last point will be working as well...

Thanks for a great piece of software.
  •  

Menion

you're welcome. Just small hint with tapping - active parts are only points! so try to tap on some corner but not on loooong straight lines where are probably no points
  •  

Szczepanik

Help get this topic noticed by becoming another of the people who like this idea in
http://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topics ... navigation
Cheers
Tom Szczepanik
  •  

Menion

thanks for placing idea on getsatisfaction. I'll at least see how many people use (or wants to use) locus as navigation. Also small sorry from me, that I don't give big priority to this. Navigation is still secondary function so there was (and still are) other priorities and whole part around navigation will take some time to do ...

anyway I want to improve it, so it's just matter of time and number of people who will want this :D
  •