Convert SHP, E00 and gdb to sqlitedb?

Started by Novasilva, January 07, 2012, 18:28:42

Novasilva

Is there a way to convert e00, shp and gdb to sqlitedb for locus?

I'm a bit of a tech-tard, I understand simple terms and explanations.
  •  

gynta

Can you explain where these formats are typically used?

Novasilva

shp, e00 and gdb are vector, polygon and polyline data generated with ESRI ArcGis. These can be opened and converted into other formats such as KML/KMZ, MP, MapInfo, CSV and many others with software like GlobalMapper. But I have not found anything that can convert these shp, e00 and gdb file types to sqlitedb.
  •  

elmuSSo

My solution is:
- Take for example .shp file,
- load it to FME Workbench (paid app on PC),
- rasterize the file to geoTiff file,
- take that geoTiff file and load it with Mapc2mapc app,
- generate the sqlitedb map with it.

If you know all detailed instructions, write to me. I can even make some proper tutorial.

But, what I experienced is:
Rasterized ( vector - bitmap converted ) files are UGLY and BIG. I'm thinking about some .shp to .osm conversion. Raster is raster and vector is vector. Vectors should stay in vector state, and be rendered in real time by Locus. Rasterization effects are really ugly.

Tapatalk@CyanogenMod@HTCVision
  •  

Novasilva

Yes, I'm only interested converting my vector lines, no raster. I tried the osm in globalmapper to no success. I'm looking into quantumGis and ogr2ogr.

I'll look into FME, I messed around with Mapc2mapc a little and it hurt my brain.

Thanks!
  •  

Novasilva

I can translate to SQLite3 in ArcCatalog with the FME. No way to convert to the sqliteDB format.
  •  

gynta

plz add some examples as attachment for us (if they are not too large)

Novasilva

example of shp file?  here's a small one.
  •  

elmuSSo

Quote from: "Novasilva"Yes, I'm only interested converting my vector lines, no raster.

You don't even have the raster. You have only vectors. But Locus sqlitedb format can only hold rasters. So you need to convert vectors(shp) into raster(geoTiff). This process is named "Rasterization". This is like rendering vectors into a bitmap. I willt try to give you some examples this evening. But, like I said, rasterization effects are ugly.

•  

elmuSSo

Quote from: "Novasilva"Yes, I'm only interested converting my vector lines, no raster.

You don't even have the raster. You have only vectors. But Locus sqlitedb format can only hold rasters. So you need to convert vectors(shp) into raster(geoTiff). This process is named "Rasterization". This is like rendering vectors into a bitmap. I willt try to give you some examples this evening. But, like I said, rasterization effects are ugly.

•  

Novasilva

Right, got it, I don't want to rasterize my lines, so no need raster examples. I missed the -vector no good for sqlite- somewhere along the line. So then, like you said, osm. osm to map. I tried the shp to kml but it was too slow in locus with a large kml file.

Thanks
  •  

elmuSSo

Ok. here you have some effects. this is just an fast example. this is your file rasterized to 9000x9000 geoTiff in black&white and then converted to sqlitedb. I didnt make a Labels, but it is possible. there are some holes in the atlas on some zoom levels, but on the max zoom it should be the whole image. during the conversion, Mapc2Mapc told me: there is a limit of 5000 tiles :/

.shp ->(FME)-> geoTiff ->(Mapc2Mapc)-> Locus sqlitedb
  •  

elmuSSo

No comments?

•  

dibrial

Currently I try to get a GeoTiff (converted from kmz) available in Locus. tried a Rmap, but, though usable, I'm not really happy with the result. Could you please explain me the steps from GeoTiff(or kmz) to SqliteDB?
  •  

elmuSSo

Use Mapc2Mapc application to make this conversion.
  •