place dialog more compact

Started by joeloc, January 02, 2012, 10:46:40

joeloc

The place dialog (see below) is a bit unfortunate. Some of the icons cause immediate action, some open a sub menu, its not really clear to me which image does what.

With a bit of rearranging, it would be possible to kill the sub menus completely and offer each option directly on a single click. Sub menus are necessary sometimes, but here its just bad usability. There is plenty of space and each extra click is bad when you sit on a bike.

[attachment=0:1stir2kn]SC20120102-093431.jpg[/attachment:1stir2kn]
  •  

Menion

joe, I'm worry that this is not simply possible ...

1. when you'll play a little with locus, I'm sure you'll soon know what all buttons mean
2. submenus are generated based on content ... for example under last button (wheels), with all addons, I have around 10 buttons! When I click on geocache ... i count, mnt .. 22 buttons! ehm ...
3. you also have to count that not everyone have resolution like you, so some complete change to fix your screen size is not a good solution
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

joeloc

I must disagree. You have the whole screen available... so use it wisely! Right now, you waste 50% with a greyed out  map area that is completely irrelevant to the dialog. Then you waste 50% inside the window itself with whitespace and labels.

There would be plenty plenty plenty room for all your options immediately, even on the smallest phone.

Why not spare users from additional popups and additional clicks when you can? It might seem irrelevant on your development couch. But i can assure you that every extra click is a nuisance when you sit on a bike and wear sunglasses.
  •  

joeloc

Ok... 22 buttons would be to much. Ill think of something later. But the grouping is really unfortunate anyway. Some icons do immediate action, some open a submenu, one opens a sub menu with just a single item?! That is simply weird.
  •  

Menion

submenu with single item? Not sure in which case, but this have to be because under this submenu is usually more then one item!

because number of items is still growing, mainly in last category, current system that group items of same meaning, seems logical for me. Much better then loooong list of buttons in some scrolling panel
  •  

joeloc

Scrolling is even worse than sub menus, i totally agree.

But on the other hand, if you need two clicks instead of one to reach a function, the error possibilty (misplaced click) is increased by 100%. And misplacing clicks is not that uncommon on a moving vehicle :).

Ill draw up something later. Its a bit hard on the mobile phone.

The single item submenu was some "hide" under a settings-like icon when you click on an existing pointon the map.
  •  

lml

[attachment=0:3os4bz1l]SC20120102-142827.png[/attachment:3os4bz1l]This is how it looks on my phone. It's not so much wasted space and not so much space for more buttons.
  •  

joeloc

Hmm. I stand corrected. The Galaxy note spoiled me. Sorry :)
  •  

Menion

uff, thanks Iml :)

EDIT: also, I don't think that I waste much space ;)
  •