Display of map for new position on screen - usability issue

Started by tommi, December 29, 2011, 18:08:21

tommi

Hi Menion,
let's directly discuss an example:
Assume a certain map is on the display, e.g. vector map of Bavaria.
Now I use the search function for a location far beyond the current map, e.g. search for a location in Rome, Italy.
Result is map center moves to this new location. In this example the screen becomes empty.
If I go to the card manager, it only suggests the neighbour maps of Italy (I'm aware that this is the intended function).
What is the best way to get the matching maps displayed which in this example is the available vector map for Italy?
  •  

Menion

you go to card manager and it only shows nearest maps? you mean map manager accessible from top right button? Because there have to be visible all available maps
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"you go to card manager and it only shows nearest maps? you mean map manager accessible from top right button? Because there have to be visible all available maps
Of course there I get a list with all maps.
No, I mean the map manager which I can have in the right panel (I think it is the same thing which gets started outside a map in the top left corner).
Being again in this area of Locus I'd like to remember an earlier wish from myside to this map manager which is sometims also called quick map switch:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1404#p8348
  •  

Menion

name changed to "Quick .... " thanks, I forget on this

about list of suggestions. Hmm, problem is probably simple. I'm displaying list of nearest maps, but this list is sorted by distance of map center to your current map center. And probably because Italy is really big, center lay a lot lower then some other maps. I'll look at it. Best should be to test on some bounding polygon but this is not usually know. For small areas, this should works well, on some big .. looks that not
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •