Clipboard support for coordinate entry

Started by joeloc, December 23, 2011, 18:12:40

joeloc

It happens quite often that I read some text description on a web page or in an email like "hey joe, check out N14.8834 E12.666, a pretty cool trail starts there". How to get that into Locus easily?

Maybe your "location" dialog could feature an additional entry "from clipboard"? You'd need to parse the clipboard a bit intelligently though and translate as many different spellings as possible, like
N12.345 E5.678
12 10 20, 14 50 20
13°10'20"N 20°10.22W
etc

[attachment=0:1v0no5qg]SC20111223-175826.png[/attachment:1v0no5qg]
  •  

Menion

done ... anyway more testing values will be needed, but this later
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

joeloc

You rock! Greetings from Lanzarote btw... Locus finds all the trails easily :)

•  

wviebahn

Hi, joeloc,
I sent a similar question to Menion just a few days ago, but I'll come to that later. First of all I want to support you in your wish, because the coordinate form you are citing is the one used in Google maps (in the attachment see screenshots 06, 07), but it also works in Locus search/find address (08, 09), but doesn't work in Locus search coordinates, no matter which system you use (10, 11).
Because of that, I sent this E-Mail to Menion:
"...after having read a Wikipedia article on a POI it would be fine to find it in Locus by the coordinates in that article (WGS84). But in Locus search by coordinates you have three different kinds of WGS, but in none of them you can enter the WGS84 coordinates. So it would be great, if you could add this possibility!"
Shortly after that e-Mail I had found out: "you can enter the Wikipedia coordinates into the normal Address search." And in a later e-Mail I detailed:
"In the attached screenshots you can
1 see the typical Wikipedia coordinates for a location. When you click on these coordinates,
2 you get to GeoHack, where you can see, that the Wikipedia coordinates are WGS84.
3 If you enter them in Locus Search Address (like in Google Maps),
4 Locus will show the point on the map (like in Google Maps).
5 In Locus Search Coordinates there is no possibility of entering Wikipedia WGS84 coordinates. If you could arrange to have an entry here for WGS84 coordinates, I'm sure it would make things easier for many users." See screenshots 01 to 05.
So, it would be helpful, if Locus could add to the coordinates search a mask that accepts These two WGS84 entry forms.
Cheers!
Wilfried
  •  

joeloc

I am not having much luck with Locus clipboard parsing lately. It seems to fail even at the most often used formats. I really wish it were a bit more intelligent and parse everything and its dog automatically. I know its a lot to ask for, but it would make things a lot easier.

Maybe there is an intelligent online service that does this kind of parsing? So if Locus fails itself, it could post the thing off to geohash or googlemaps or wikifoobar or whatever and come up with a proper point.
  •  

Menion

still some problems?

On many places I already wrote "Send me incorrectly parsed text and I'll fix it"

Also there exists some topics, like

https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... _the_input
https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... nt_formats

so you may write there
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •