Google My Maps issue

Started by sagrawal3, December 21, 2011, 18:00:51

sagrawal3

Hi Menion,

The Google my maps functionality doesnt seems to be working correctly. I tried importing one of the maps from google my maps to Locus Pro. Although, it uploaded the track successfully but it was not accurately imported. Can you please take a look and check as why the track is not imported exactly in a way the google shows it, probably this might needs to be corrected in the Locus. I am including the screenshots from both Google and Locus Pro apps.
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  there are two things ...

1. when you add in web google maps points and set My Maps to compute path between them, this will not be reflected when loaded into locus! You may try it
2. because you're quite zoom out in map, Locus is optimizing tracks to better performance, so try to zoom in and see if track will then have more visible points. Hmm, not sure if you'll understand what I want to say ... just, it's possible, that locus draw on your screenshot, only every 10th, 20th point, so you need to zoom in a little
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

sagrawal3

Thanks for your reply. I tried zooming in to the map but still the same result. The track that gets imported from Google don't have much track point information... I guess, due to which, the track is not shown correctly. If the track points can be imported precisely then only the track can be shown correctly. I had previously windows phone and was using Navimapper, this app can actually show the track using GPX file. I use to create GPX files from Google Maps through "GMapToGPX" (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/).

One more thing, I tried downloading the KML file from Google Maps, convert it into GPX file using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com, then import it in Locus Pro. It was working fine. This time the track information was perfect. If the same can be done directly from Locus Pro using the inbuilt Google My Maps functionality, that would be great.
  •  

gynta

hmm..

- google maps
- create route from -> to
- save in my maps
- export the kml file
- check the saved file - in google earth works fine.
- import this file in locus
- i see only the start and the target sign on the screen..

settings:
limit point on maps disabled

Menion

hmm this is not possible gynta. I'm just testing it and seems that export as KML (by some new KML button in google maps), export all points generated on map, not just start and end point! Try to zoom in ...

anyway when you show this route directly in locus by  My Maps feature, you'll probably see only start/end point ...
  •  

gynta

that means I need to convert this google-kml-file before?

Menion

hmm, when I import your file, it looks correctly! (all points are also in kml file as I see)
  •  

gynta

i must copy the file in the mapitemsfolder and import this with the mapitemmanager ?
i have used the normal datamanager.

btw.:
why is there an extra manager?
there is still enough space for a sixth symbol.

Menion

hm, there is no need to place file in map item manager! This manager have one main purpose! Loading of data that cannot be stored in database. That's all. So KML GroundOverlays or OpenAir format. Nothing more currently. I tested your file with Data Manager > import and it works fine for me!

and sixth symbol - yes, there is space, but for this is another plan in future ;)
  •  

gynta

have now recognized the problem.
with the option "show after import" I expect to see the whole import.
but I have to manually reload the track...

Menion

ah yes sorry, I forget to mention this ... in code where track should be loaded I see my comment "need to be done" :))
  •  

sagrawal3

Are you considering this issue to be a part of future release?
  •  

Menion

hi,
  hmm, I think this should also work (if you talk about displaying tracks after import from some KML/GPX file)
  •  

sagrawal3

The track imported from KML/GPX file works great. The issue is when we try to import tracks from Google My Maps (inbuilt functionality in Locus), the track doesn't import correctly.
  •  

sh20

Hello all.

I'm facing the same problem: When I import a map saved in Google via Functions > Google MyMaps, then I get straight lines instead of curves along a road. A lot of points are missing, even when I zoom in. This can be seen in the screenshot I attached.

[attachment=1:2gmka89o]maps-locus-problem.png[/attachment:2gmka89o]
The map URL: http://goo.gl/maps/hzdb

Other tools like Google Earth or RouteConverter display the route correctly, as it looks like in Google Maps.

I didn't really understand the workaround or solution for this problem during the discussion above - is there a way to get clearly displayed Google Maps routes? We have planned about 20 days for our cycle vacation in Norway with Google Maps... :-)

Thank you,
Steffen
  •