Changes in track recording?

Started by rijackson741, December 18, 2011, 21:03:59

rijackson741

Has something changed recently with track recording? It's been a little while since I recorded a track (since testing of the calibrated map overlay), but yesterday and today I recorded a couple of new tracks. The points on the tracks are very far apart, even though I have my intervals set to 5m and 2s, and the GPS to 0s (these are the same settings as the last time I recorded a track; I have not changed anything).
  •  

Menion

Hi Rijackson,
  did you checked number of recorded points or try to zoom close to track and check recorded points there. If you look on track from lower zoom map level, you should see reduced number of points because of speed optimizations, anyway all points are recorded and since zoom around 15 and more, you should see all track points on map!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

rijackson741

Menion.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked, and there are only 27 points over a distance of 2.1 miles. But I also noticed that some of the points are very inaccurate, so maybe the problem is that the GPS was failing to get a lock very often. My phone was under a thick coat, so maybe that interferes with the GPS signal? It seems to me a coat should not make much difference to the GPS signal (unless it's made of chain-mail, but I don't hike up hills in chain-mail :mrgreen: ), but I'll try again in the next couple of days with the phone in an outer pocket.
  •  

rijackson741

I just recorded another track, and it has the same problem. Only 9 points in 0.82 miles. It never used to do this I guess I'll try playing with some settings.
  •  

Menion

hmm weird. Is GPS enabled for whole time (check GPS auto-off settings)? Coat should not have any influence on recording. Damn it's weird. I tested it today for a while and no problem. What about "Max accuracy", don't you have there too low number?

You may also save all settings to file and send me it. I'll test recording with your settings
  •  

Menion

so your settings seems to be only solution to find problem. Today I tested recording

settings:
GPS auto-off, disabled
interval (metres): 25
interval (sec) 5s
max accuracy: 250m
conditions: both

track cca hour by car, some underground, buildings, total: 22km, 2h:30m, 467 points ... so I think it's expected value (around 8km is by underground)
  •  

rijackson741

It is weird, because I didn't change any of my settings. I even checked that by loading a preferences file I had saved a while ago. It worked before, but not now  :?

My settings are:
GPS auto-off, disabled
interval (metres): 5
interval (sec) 2s
max accuracy: 250m
Record only while moving: on
conditions: both

Also under the GPS settings, although they are grayed out when auto-off is disabled,
Update interval: 0s
Min accuracy: 100m
Max search time: 60s

I have also attached a file with my current settings.

Thanks for looking at this.
  •  

Menion

hmm what should I do with you :). I imported your settings successfully and 2.5 km bike trip, I have recorded 125 points ... may you try to reset locus settings to default (you have current already stored) and try recording then? I have no idea what settings may cause so low number of recorded points for you. I'm sure, that there is no settings that can have influence on this. I also do not use any third party library or some tools for computing if point will be saved or not, so I have really no idea where should be problem. Anyone facing similar issue?
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"may you try to reset locus settings to default

That was a good suggestion. When in doubt reboot  :)  I reset the GPS status, and reset Locus to the default settings (which I noticed also reset the license, so I will have to remember not to do that when I have no data connection!). I drove to the supermarket: 76 points in 3.0 miles. Then I reloaded my settings, and drove back: 149 points in 3.0 miles. So now it seems to be working again. Very weird! I'll double check tomorrow that everything is OK, and let you know. Thanks for the help  :)
  •  

Menion

fine, you're welcome. Weird really and no idea why this happen, damn ...
  •  

rijackson741

I can confirm everything is working again now. I went for a walk (unusually nice weather for here for the time of year, and I'm self employed  :D ): 1218 points in 5.1 miles.

Quote from: "menion"fine, you're welcome. Weird really and no idea why this happen, damn ...

It is weird. I'm not sure it had anything to do with Locus though. I also reset the GPS, and I think it's more likely that the GPS was somehow hung up and resetting it fixed the problem (note: I never rebooted my phone during the period above, although perhaps I should have, so this was the only reset of the GPS). What I should have done is reset the GPS, then tested it, and then if that didn't work reset Locus' settings, and tested it again. I was thinking more in terms of fixing it though, not in terms of figuring out what the problem was. If it happens again, that's what I'll do, and I'll let you know the results. If it never happens again, then it's not worth worrying about  :D

Have a great holiday period  :)
  •