waypoint database pre-generation

Started by bongo, December 14, 2011, 17:23:27

bongo

as far as i understand, importing a gpx file does nothing but converting the gpx file to an sqll database file for quicker access.
as importing a gpx file takes quite long as this is an interactive process, when having multiple gpx files to import, i wonder if there is a way to generate these sqll files on a windows pc (batch convert all gpx files of a folder into sqll files) and then transfer it to the data folder of locus.
unfortunately, i'm no sqll crack, so i was only able to modify some content within a locus generated sqll file, but i have no idea how to create one on a windows pc.
...but i think this shouldn't be a big thing to do...
right?
  •  

Menion

hmm, this should be quite a problem for a complex points. Locus database isn't only simple table with data but also contain some binary data. So some basic values like name, coordinates, altitude and some others, can be pregenerated, this should not be a problem. But some others like addresses, geocaching data and others are stored as byte array in database and should need some complex tool on this. Are you importing so much POIs that you should find this useful? If you want to speed up import a lot, disable "duplicate check" in settings
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

bongo

i checked again with duplicate check disabled. import of my test-gpx with about 6500 waypoints even on an sgs2 took about 5 minutes. as i usually have about 10 sets of 5000-1000 waypoints. having such a tool for off-system database generation would be great!
as i generate lots of other data on the windows pc, to be batch-copied to the handheld device afterwards, it would be very nice to have a command line tool which is able to generate a database out of a gpx file.
maybe, your import code from locus could be recycled and compiled to run as a windows console application?
thanx a lot!
  •  

Khaytsus

I too have about 14k waypoints in GPX, but I only import the area I'm caching in currently..  Why import others that you won't be seeing any time soon?  Or do you cache full time?  Must be nice ;)
  •  

bongo

unfortunately, i'm not a full time cacher ;-(
but having the caches within a circle of about 100km on the phone is quite a lot of data.
so if i want to update these caches once a week, there's quite a lot of time to reimport them. therefore it would be nice to just copy the new database to the phone and just need to select them instead of first importing them.
  •  

Menion

hmm guys (bongo mainly), this is of course possible, but I'm too low of time on such tasks ... maybe just copy files on card and import them in case you really need these data?
  •  

bongo

;-(

i hoped that
- maybe the code you use to convert the .gpx to a database on android could be compiled for windows too without a lot of work to run on a pc
- or that there is a generic sqll generation tool, that could be filled with all the required data and some kind of config file to generate such a database
- or maybe the data format is public so that anyone can build such a tool

;-(
  •  

Menion

creating such tool is of course possible, but doesn't make much sense for me now ...

what about using GeoGet or GSAK software and use thier database within locus?
  •  

bongo

just stumbled over the gsak db import addon.
really looks great, i.e. priority of alternative locus db generation really get's low for me, if gsak import will do all i need. thanx a lot!
  •