Navigation usability issue

Started by tommi, December 12, 2011, 20:42:55

tommi

Hi Menion,
the prestored routes helped me a lot when travelling on Madeira (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1304)!
Especially the automatic change from navigation to guiding on deviation from the original route helps fantastically in a foreign town if you have no internet access for recalculation.
Thanks for that!

During the week I had several chances to test the navigation which in general worked very well, there are only few things regarding usability/convenience which could be improved.
These are the steps to use a prestored navigation (not all activities need to be performed in all situations and in exact the following order):
1) Switch on GPS in Android system
2) Switch on GPS in Locus
3) Deactivate GPS auto-off in Locus
4) Set the tick for the prestored navigation route from list of tracks
5) Tap on the track on any corner in the graph  (not on a straight part of the graph -> no popup, not on one of the red points -> there you can only create a new navigation route)
6) Select navigate in the popup menu.
7) Use navigation
8) Tap on ->->o and select "Switch guide off"
9) Hide route
10) Restore setting from 3)
11) Restore setting from 2)
12) Restore setting from 1)

These are a lot of steps one should keep in mind to use navigation successfully and later on return to original behaviour and settings of Locus.

What do you think of the following proposals:
A) For 4): Provide additional item ""Navigate" in the popup for tap on the prestored navigation route. This would at least make 5) and 6) redundant.
B) Like A) + 1) + 2)  +3)
C) For 8): Offer additional item "End navigation" in the popup for ->->o and perform 9), 10), 11), 12).

If you don't like to change the android system setting 1)+12) this is fine with me. Then it is consistent behaviour with general handling of GPS in Locus.
  •  

Menion

thanks Thomas,
  glad you found locus useful. You're of of course correct, that starting of navigation is quite ... slow. Nice feedback, I'll think about it and try to create some improvements. First think I have on mind is few new settings like "when navigation starts:" ... and few checkboxes like ""enable GPS", "disable auto-off", "enable map rotate" and more ... hmm
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

Menion you are the greatest!
Yes, you are right "enable map rotate", "shift map center", "enable auto-zoom" should be thought of as well and were also actions I performed every time I used the navigation.

Btw., I'll be on a trip to Austria starting Monday morning where I could test a trial version ... . But of course I don't want to badger you.
  •  

Menion

:) oki ... if I, or anyone other, not find any better solution for this complex task, I'll try create something till end of week ...
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion":) oki ... if I, or anyone other, not find any better solution for this complex task, I'll try create something till end of week ...
I'm eager to test it and report till the end of next week.
Thanks!
  •  

tommi

Hi Menion,
does Locus 1.15.0.2 already contain the discussed improvements?
  •  

Menion

hi Tom,
 nono, sorry ... unfortunately wasn't time for this yet. That's why I told you, don't say thanks, till requested feature is implemented :)
  •  

Szczepanik

Help get this topic noticed by becoming another of the people who like this idea in
http://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topics ... navigation
Cheers
Tom Szczepanik
  •