offline road navigation tools supported?

Started by bongo, December 10, 2011, 18:59:25

bongo

as locus does not seem to support offline road navigation (seems to need an internet connection for route calculation), i'm looking for a software which is able to do so.
so far, i found navit, but this one seems to require an internet connection too for some tasks, and it seems to be a real low end application, compared to tomtom (on win mobile).
as locus seems to be able to launch and set destinations for navit and google navigation, i think that there are other (real) offline navigation tools that locus can connect to.
which one(s) is (are) recommended?
thanx!
  •  

rijackson741

I don't think there is any app that can do full offline navigation that Locus can connect to. I wish there were. There are three independent apps I know of for full offline navigation: Sygic GPS Navigation, CoPilot Live, and Navigon. I have the Sygic app, and it seems to work OK in the USA. I have a built-in GPS in the car though, so I confess I don't use it all that often. It also gets better reviews overall that the others. I think how accurate the maps are depends a lot on your location though (especially, Europe vs US). I know someone in the UK that has CoPilot in the UK, and he was impressed until the latest update, after which it apparently calculates really bad routes.
  •  

Menion

Hmm Locus support only one navigation directly - Navigon. If you have this installed, then in last submenu on point details screen (where StreetView and others are) should be also button "Navigon" which run navigation on selected point. Better integration isn't available. Other navigations like Sygic etc., don't offer anything like this ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"Hmm Locus support only one navigation directly - Navigon. If you have this installed, then in last submenu on point details screen (where StreetView and others are) should be also button "Navigon" which run navigation on selected point. Better integration isn't available. Other navigations like Sygic etc., don't offer anything like this ...

I didn't realize this. So if I have Navigon installed then I can do off-line navigation in Locus? I assume that is true only for the regions I have installed in Navigon.
  •  

Menion

nono I don't mean this ... I mean only that you can call navigon to navigate on your choosed location. So you don't have to remember or write on paper location where you want to go (selected in locus) and then run navigon and set there where to navigate. You may just directly from Locus say ("Hey Navigon, navigate me to ...". That's all ... no offline navigation in Locus directly for now ... but know knows ;)
  •  

rijackson741

OK. Thanks. Thought I was somehow missing out on some major capability of Locus. :|  I guess I'll stick with my non-integrated solution for now: one app for offline voice navigation, one app for everything else to do with mapping  :)
  •  

berkley

Just a short note on this topic...

Everytime you start Navigon, it checks license validity over the internet. So you definatly need to have a valid connection!
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

it need this check everytime?? hmm quite nice offline nav ...
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "berkley"Just a short note on this topic...
Everytime you start Navigon, it checks license validity over the internet. So you definatly need to have a valid connection!

sure?
for a test i used navigon 4.0.0 on my sgs2 in flightmode and with diabled data-network.