Garmin Map conversion

Started by superscout03, January 17, 2011, 12:41:02

superscout03

I have a garmin map of the area I am in it is a (.img) file and I am wondering if Locus will read and display it. or if there is any way to convert this map file into something that Locus can read.
Thanks
  •  

rkirmeier

That would be a great feature but I doubt it will be added due to complexity of the Garmin img (polish) format. I used Mapdekode to export all the map lines to .plt files (oziexplorer) then use Oziconverter to convert to gpx format and import the gpx files. The only problem is there ends up being a LOT of tracks (why I requested the select all tracks button). Not sure if we are going to run in a limitation or performance issue with the number of tracks or not.

That being said it would be nice if Locus would import .plt (ozi) or .trk (garmin pcx5 track) format.
  •  

Menion

Hmm,
  interesting. If you want support for import plt and trk files, may you send me any examples on mail? I'll look on them closer!

about direct support of img files .. that should be problem. I was searching a little on google but I cannot find any method how to convert them into any usable format. Are they really so good that no one from now almost 40 maps (or more now in beta) in locus is not good enough? :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

rkirmeier

I'll send a couple samples of the .trk and .plt files. I think .trk would be preferred cause when I export from Mapdekode I get 1 .trk file vs. many .plt files.

As for the Garmin maps... I have something called Roads and Recreation that has logging/trails roads that I can't find in any other maps so in my case I go through the effort convert/export the map details. I however will note that I NEED to overlay the garmin maps on top of the Sat/Earth maps so I think my need is different then the other guys.
  •  

David

I agree that supporting Garmin maps would be great. I think they are best for topographic maps, where much more details are in there compared to OSM (curve levels, heights, etc) and so on. For example, take a look at these images:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-image.d ... ImageLarge

They are really good for planning a hiking or MTB trip.
  •  

Scylla

Until recently I was using Navitel for geocaching under Windows Mobile. Now I found Locus Pro and like it, but I'd like to use vector maps instead of online, although Locus provide me the best online map for Hungary (http://www.turistautak.hu). From this site you can download the whole map in Garmin format. So +1 vote for Garmin *.img format support. Of course it's the same if there is an import feature or native use.
You can reach here the maps (only in hungarian, but in case of interest i'm going to help you): //http://turistautak.hu/garmin.php
  •  

krzysiekz

I've found python script for converting garmin maps to osm, but i've run out of memory (2gb ram +4gb swap) with area 30x20km.
  •  

Menion

hmm is this available on some public repository? If there is need for some powerful testing, let me know (script and also some sample map is needed ...)
  •  

krzysiekz

•  

Scylla

The maps from turistautak.hu are an "open source" project. The maps were built from public sources and mainly from tracklogs. (Similar to OSM, but older, and focusing mainly hiking.) They publis the maps in Garmin format. They are downloadable after a simple registration. Because this page accessible in hungarian only I downloaded and put the file into my dropbox public folder.
From this page: //http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1592144/Public.7z you can download it.
According the legal notice on the page the file downloadable for own purposes and it's not allowed to make publicly available without written permission, so I encrypted the file. I send you the password as private message if you agree: please provide an email address. If you don't need the link anymore, please let me know and I delete it.
  •  

Menion

hi Scylla, if maps on dropbox are for me, then I have to regret. My response for krzysiekz was just if he have some already downloaded map and script that do not work for him due to limits of computer, I should try to run on my computer. Anyway I just don't have time and taste to play with some garmin conversion.
  •  

Scylla

OK, I understand. It seemed to me, you interested in that topic.
I'm going to make a try with those python script with 8G RAM, when I will have a little time.
  •  

Menion

yes, I'm interested in this topic .. but mainly in result :). I never had garmin device in my hands and except images, never saw their maps. So I'm personally not interested in maps. Just know that many people use them .. so if you'll need 24GB ram for some testing, let me know ...
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "Scylla"OK, I understand. It seemed to me, you interested in that topic.
I'm going to make a try with those python script with 8G RAM, when I will have a little time.

+1
convert a gmapsupp.img in a "locus"format sounds very good.
thousands of garminusers can continue to use all of their maps to locus.

krzysiekz

I converted sample map from mp to osm.pbf. Script limit is 50k nodes per file, and map labels must use english alphabet only. Still can't convert from pbf to map - got many errors and osmosis quits.
  •