Single click "immediate" route create mode

Started by joeloc, December 04, 2011, 12:18:28

joeloc

I recently treated myself to a Samsung Galaxy Note. Love the display, love the size, love the speed, love the Stylus! Just as convenient to handle as the good old windows mobile pocket pcs :-).

Quite understandably, all software these days is designed for finger control. Probably thats why adding points to a route is done by moving the map around, then hit a "+" symbol. With the perfect aim of a stylus however, it would be MUCH FASTER when I could simply click onto the map to add a new point. Maybe the route creation could be enhanced a little? Add a toggle for this new "immediate-mode" it in the route creation bar, then single clicks will keep adding points (and re-center the map onto the new point).

TwoNav does it like this and it works really exceptionally well on their Windows-CE Hardware with Styluses. No reason Android shouldnt be able to compete.
  •  

gynta

sounds good...

Menion

hmm precise stylus on android? Quite surprise ...

this can be partially done by disabling address search and tapping on map with long click ... not exactly what you want, agree ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

i disable the autoadress search. i tapping looooong time and nothing happens.

Menion

ah sorry, my mistake, you're correct, this do not work ...
  •  

joeloc

ok... long click, then click the bubble, then click plus symbol, that adds a clicked point to the route. still way more work than a simple single tap :-).

single tap doesnt seem to be used for much else in track/route creation mode. so while the track/route toolbar is displayed, you could make single taps add points immediately? and re-center the map on the newly added point.

if the single tap is on some other item in the map, you obviously display the normal popup menu instead.
  •  

joeloc

If you still wonder what we mean with this "single tap creation mode", you could install TwoNav demo from https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... onav&hl=en . Start it up, use "TNAndroidTrial" as license code, try to find a map. Dont be shocked about the interface, everybody is :-).

Long click on any location in the map, chose "New..." and "Start route here" from popup menu. From now on, each single tap will add a point to the route and re-center the map. Very quick and convenient to create long tracks that way, when you cannot rely on cloudmap-navigation.
  •  

Rob

+111    !  
:-)
Rob
  •  

Menion

nono, I have clear idea what you want ... there will be problem with tapping point on map and tapping just for new location ... what about adding point and centering on long click? will this be enough? Currently long click display address (or nothing if disable in settings) and in case you plan route, this will quickly add point. This solution will not cause any troubles to other functions .. hmm?
  •  

Rob

Yes, good compromise. Can user define timelength of "long" click?
Thx for taking this issue, menion.
Krg
Rob
  •  

joeloc

I'm not sure it's a good idea to "abuse" long click. It has a function already: show point bubble and then context menu. That should still work in route/track creation mode. Modifying actions will in the end always confuse the user.

Besides, the idea with this mode is to create routes really FAAAAST: click click click click click click click click... done. Any artifical delay (ie waiting for long clicks) will make it pointless. I might just as well move the map around then.

I cant see a problem with using a simple single click. What am I missing? What are single clicks used for?
  •  

gynta

In simple words:
if we are in "create route":
can be a toggle called "single tab".
and if i tabbing once the screen i create a new point.
if i exit (or finished) "create route" - the tabbing works normal.

hmm i hope thats was i want to say :mrgreen:

Menion

ufff, try test version and let me know please ...
  •  

joeloc

Works nicely in new version! Cool :)
  •  

gynta

dont work on sgs2 :oops:
"quick add" adds a point to somewhere on the map.

(no, my fingers are not thick)  ;)