How to use the new support for ground overlay maps?

Started by argus, November 27, 2011, 19:12:59

argus

Hello,

in the latest update (vers. 1.14.5) kmz ground overlay maps are supported. But how can I use these maps?

Any hint is appreciated.

Cheers!
  •  

Menion

hi,
  this feature is really in beta but it works in simple way
1. import KMZ file like in normal import
2. if will contain GroundOverlay layer, it will be displayed on map
3. to work with this layer (currently only hide/ show / delete), go to functions > map item manager
4. locus do not remember loaded overlays, so after you start locus again, you need to load it once more as in step 1.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "menion"..., go to functions > map item manager
currently that crash locus :oops:

krzysiekz

What format uses locus for overlay maps? I tried export sample map with global mapper to jpg and png but locus crash just after import.
  •  

Menion

•  

argus

Hi Menion,

thanks for your quick reply. I will test this function and come back to this forum later, maybe... :-)
  •  

dibrial

This weekend I received a map for an upcoming hiking trip.
It's in KMZ format and I thought I should be able to open it in Locus as a GroundOverlay

Unfortunately I receive following error message errors:
[attachment=1:rqgzunby]errors-1327904297728.err[/attachment:rqgzunby]
and also a crash:
[attachment=0:rqgzunby]crash-1327904375819.err[/attachment:rqgzunby]
KMZ can be downloaded from:
//http://min.us/mT3jWTZ6G

Could somebody please help me getting this map imported into Locus?

Thanks in advance
  •  

Menion

hmm when I start google earth, it show around 150MB in memory

when I load your map, it shows around 370MB ...

your map is really nice but is also really huge (KMZ file have 90MB). Don't know how other programs handle KMZ files, but as Google Earth, also a Locus loads all data at once. Unfortunately for this file it's not possible. I suggest to convert this file to some usable map format. Mapc2mapc support converting KMZ to some SQLite map format so you may try (I didn't test it, just hear somewhere)
  •  

gynta

Yes this 90MB kmz crashed here too.
Maybe menion can intercept this overflow error.

dibrial

I can't get the map to be opened in MAPC2mapc. It's importing it, but when I want to view or exported it, the message 'No map loaded'  appears.
 Any ideas?
  •  

Menion

Hi Dibrial,
  good news. Locus now handle your file ;) ... slow, but works ...
  •  

dibrial

Great:grin:....I really hope to test it soon. I'm already back from Madeira and used the vector. It worked, but having some altitude lines would really have been helpful.....Pffff....I'll use it next time we visit the island.
  •  

Menion

ok, fine ... seems to late but as you say - next time ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9uTkBI ... e=youtu.be
  •  

elmuSSo

Hi Menion!

As a GIS guy, overlays are just perfect for me. you are on a good way to make your app even more pr0! Good job.

But...
1. I loaded some kmz overlay with bitmap in It , this bitmap pixelated and lost resolution. So when I was zooming in, there were no details in my overlay, just big ugly pixels. Is it for purpose or could it be an error/bug? The whole kmz is ~7MB. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Tapatalk@CyanogenMod@HTCVision
  •  

elmuSSo

2: I loaded kmz with only vectors lines. The connected lines are just a part of one big canal system. its bad idea to show them as tracks. I don't want to see them as the separate parts. For me it would be great to just make them one object, one overlay. And don't divide them in separate parts. And their icons are very annoying. I know I can turn the icons off, but I don't want to turn the icon off also for real tracks. Think if I would have thousends of lines in one overlay. In this scenario, this list of tracks in Tracks menu would be very long and hard to manage. And the map itself would be unreadable with the icons.

Tapatalk@CyanogenMod@HTCVision
  •