How to use the new support for ground overlay maps?

Started by argus, November 27, 2011, 19:12:59

Menion

may I ask you for another version? I was testing it quite a lot and did some more improvements. Hope this helps https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8015949/Locus% ... .6.1.2.apk
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

mdmystko

2.6.1.2 fixed the crash! I can use Locus as previously, thanks!
Regarding the blurring, I might have raised false alarm. I have maps at different scales and it is a little bit hard to compare visible image to an image kept in memory and compare their quality. I checked another map I have and it looks ok. Sorry for the mess...
  •  

Menion

in last test version is disabled anti-aliasing, so maybe that helped
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "menion"...anti-aliasing...
What is the purpose of this?
Better map quality?
All of my overlays are ok - don't need it "better".
I want to see what i create - without any changes.
Or i'm wrong?

tommi

Was anti-aliazing used for artistic blurring or actually to avoid rasterization effects due to magnification of a image with low resolution (e.g. the look like of fotos in old newspapers)?
I guess the latter one.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "menion"in last test version is disabled anti-aliasing
btw.
 you disabled anti-aliasing in v2.6.1.2
 What is the reason for this blurring overlay?
 plz enlarge the pic..

Menion

it was really for reducing noisy effects when image is rasterized to different then original scale. You "cannot" get better quality, you just may get image that is nicer to look at. Anyway your last pic is nice :). How big is image you try to load? (size in pixels)
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "menion"You "cannot" get better quality, you just may get image that is nicer to look at.
fine. can i have the "same" quality as the orig is?

Quote from: "menion"How big is image you try to load? (size in pixels)
11415x5407 (61,72MP) 24bit jpg 8.43MB and it works fine (zoom,move) in Locus.

Menion

11415x5407??? ah ok. That's reason why you see blured image. Locus now cannot load on-the-fly only a part of huge image. I need to load whole image at once. And to prevent some OutOfMemory problems, I check image you want to load. Such huge image is resized 8x, so 11415/8 x 5407/8 and result is as you see.

I already found method how to load only a part of image, but I needs some time to implement
  •  

mdmystko

Let me try to show the problem with blurring. Here you have a source tile (cropped), the one that exists in data/import:
[attachment=1:2bsddkcl]mapItem_cropped.jpg[/attachment:2bsddkcl]

Here you can see how it is displayed in 2.6.1.2:
[attachment=0:2bsddkcl]displayed.png[/attachment:2bsddkcl]

As you can see, it is much harder to read any text. I believe it looked better in previous releases of Locus. Original tile (uncropped) has a rather unusual size 1090x1129. I'm afraid it matters if you do any resizing...

BTW, yesterday I had a chance to do uninterrupted 5h recording of a track with GroudOverlay being displayed all the time. No crash! Swype was quick when I was describing waypoints! I was able to do text messaging and I used a calendar. Bugfixed Locus is not that hungry on resources :)
  •  

Menion

This what you now see is not about bluring! It's about Locus protection against huge images

Until I'll have better solution, there is mechanism that check image you want to load and if it's diameter is bigger then 1000px, it will be reduced. So also in your case, you see rescaled image that have (loaded) diameter smaller then 1000. If you separate whole image into four pieces (and also four groundOverlay objects), I'm sure it will works correctly
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "menion"I already found method how to load only a part of image, but I needs some time to implement

is cutting the img to tiles (and eg. convert to an *.sqlite) a better choice?

Menion

should be but there will be also need for some rasterization, etc. Best should be some very simple application that allow to create from one KML GroundOverlay, more smaller GroundOverlays ... seems I'll have to write any
  •  

gynta

sounds good ;)