[MANUAL] - importing Geocaching Pocket Query files

Started by Menion, January 14, 2011, 10:48:36

Menion

Many of you use Locus for Offline geocaching. It's not primary purpose of this app but it could be useful for this ...

Importing main files
so, importing of Pocket Query is quite straightforward. Just go to Data screen, press bottom import and choose category you want to store data in. Correct icons will be added to data automatically!

Importing waypoints
you have two choices
  • Import with the same way as main file. But this create big data pack of points with same icons and without any information to which cache point belong!
  • Leave file name with *-wpts.gpx name and Locus will take care of it. If you import main file and Locus find waypoint file, it will automatically import and attach correct waypoints to geocaches. When you then show screen of geocache, bottom center button allow you to show all waypoints attached to geocache!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

scinkk

[attachment=0:2rft30um]help.png[/attachment:2rft30um]
  •  

Gone2Plaid

Heads up to Geocachers that typically download queries in .zip format - you'll need to pick .gpx format or unzip the file before trying to import in Locus.  There are plenty of file managers or apps to handle the unzip function.

Menion - Adding the ability to read the contents of zip archives would be a helpful feature down the road.  Thanks for this great app!
  •  

Menion

Ah, I'm not a premium member so I don't know about it. May anyone send me sample zipped file? This can surely be done ;)

EDIT:
  so this feature is added now into beta version here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=159
  •  

jctmarques

Is it possible not to show the already found caches?
When I import, all caches are in same category and I can't filter quickly which ones I still can make.
Thanks
  •  

scinkk

jctmarques: if you have a PQ file from gc.com you can import the file and select all caches and then over filter button choose all founded caches (smile icon) and deselect them. There are all caches without the founded on a map in Locus. Or you can generate PQ file with parametr I havent found on gc.com, so you will have a smaller file  to import. Or do you mean something else?
  •  

jctmarques

One of my pocket queries has around 700 caches. I've found about 300 in them. Your first solution will make me deselect one by one the 300 caches? And I'll have to do that all the time I refresh the points?
The idea of filtering the pocket query in geocaching website is good, but sometimes I share the PQ's with friends and that's not admissible.

Until now I use GeoBeagle to hunt caches offline. There are 2 functionalities that I like: The way it recognizes the already found caches and the list of nearby caches when I'm travelling. It sorts the list by distance constantly so I always know the nearest one. Is that already supported, or will be in the near future, in Locus? I would prefer to use only Locus for all...
  •  

Menion

Hi,
 it's not necessary to select all manually. Just show screen with points, select second button from right (filter) and choose icon with smile (founded). Then click second icon from left and select all founded points. Then click on filter again and disable filter by first item. All points now show but only founded are selected. When you press third button from left (invert selection) you'll now see on map only not founded caches.

I have discussed yesterday this filter with scinkk personally and I'll change it a little, but this should work with current version.
  •  

scinkk

Summary of new GC icons in Locus
[attachment=0:1097c063]prehled.png[/attachment:1097c063]
  •  

Ted Quinlan

Where can I get these icons....?

Sent from my Defy
  •  

Menion

they are in application, so no public release :) Why you want them?
  •  

Ted Quinlan

I like them :-)

But you're right.. now as the FN Icon matter is going to disappear I don't really need them. Congrats to the designer, they're really cool...

Sent from my Defy
  •