[APP] - version 0.9.3.X

Started by Menion, January 13, 2011, 22:23:45

Menion

it looks that I release wrong version :) ... hmm wait for a while :D

and also text you saw is old. I probably forgot to refresh directory with texts ... correct one is:

Map bigger then 2GB are, due to limitations of Android system, not allowed directly.nnPlease, remove map from 'maps' directory to avoid this message or use alternative method described here: http://bit.ly/h9iVH3! ;)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

superscout03

update 0.9.3.5 worked! no more error message! i will be out today doing some heavy navigation through some remote areas. will update you on any issues or ideas. THANKS AGAIN!
  •  

Menion

ah, I misunderstand you. I thought that problem was in version 0.9.3.5 .. so I rewritted SQL map handling code a little and created 0.9.3.6 and now I see that problem was in older version. Nevermind, I already created support for TXT "hack" for all SQL map files.
  •  

Menion

Hi Berkley,
  I'm sorry, I missed your post ...

Quote from: "berkley"Hi,

just playing around with version 0.9.3.3 and had some suggestions. So I came here to post them. Then I saw that you already included them in version 0.9.3.4 ... lol
Looks like you're developping way too fast. There's no time for testing!!!  :mrgreen:

Just a few questions for the tracks menu in settings:
(1) "Interval (meters)" means that (if for example is set to "1 meter") the app only writes points if you move more than 1 meter?
(2) "Interval (seconds)" means taht (if for example is set to "1 second") the app only writes points every 1 second?
(3) How can I set these values to lower than 1? Like 0,2 meter and 0,05 seconds?
(4) Is the value in "Track width" in pixels or meter?

I am using a 10hz bluetooth gps receiver. It works awesome!!! The app draws very exact tracks. Even if the phone is in standby! There's just a small problem. The accuracy shown in the gps menu isn't exact enough. I guess that the accuracy is about 0,3 meters. But the info shows just 1 meter. Can you include an exacter accurancy? Like 0,3 meters?

What about a kind of digital zoom? The closest zoom to ground shows about 200 meters in the screen. It would be great if you could just zoom in digitally. Know what I mean? Edit: Forget about that. Just figured it out... ;)

And if you are thinking about a paid version you should include some options for multilanguage...

Greetz from sunny Bavaria,
berkley

P.S. Do you know that you are creating a MONSTER???  8-)

Edit: I forgot to write something about the file systems...
I guess it would be usefull if every user can choose the destination the tracks are stored. Just my opinion. If you don't want the users to choose, I'd suggest the external sd as standard storage.
As file formats I suggest gpx and kml. Everybody can handle them.

so, my answers ...
for track record settings
1. exactly
2. exactly
3. It works for me, just click on settings and write you value. If you set '0' it will record everytime when both conditions will be success. So when you set 0 metres and 10 sec, it will record exactly every 10 secs (or a little later, depend on signal) but even when you stay on place)
4. it's pixel value for track on screen. Pixel value is better I think. Tracks have same width on every zoom of map!

About accuracy :) As a graduated surveyor, I can say you, that 0.3m accuracy with single receiver during movement is nonsence!, so don't believe accuracy values in phone :). They are only informative!

digital zoom? did you tried lock button on bottom panel?!

multilanguage ... It needs more language, I know. But I speak only Czech for little and English even worst :). Locus now contains high amount of texts. If anyone want to translate this, I should offer these texts for free and payed (hope it will be, due to problem that Czech republic still cannot sell apps) version also.

about track storage! Tracks are stored in database. You can now easily export them to SD card into GPX and KML files. I think that this is enough. Directory to export is not needed as I think ..

and finally ... monster?? :) I know I know, primary I wanted simply map viewer but now it looks that it will be too complex monster for a basic user. And I worry little about it!

Also one question on you. You have SGS as I see. On market I received two negative comments that Locus on SGS sucks. Do you have any problems with this?

And to all, If you like Locus, write something nice into comments on Market. I believe that when new user read comments like - terrible gui, crap, deleted, he will not have any taste to try this app and some users jsut don't want to give app time and test it a little. Just write negative rating and delete it ...

thanks guys ;)
  •  

berkley

Hey,

you just released another 2 versions... Please come down to earth. I have to work :P
I understand your worries about the app getting too complex for basic users. That's just one reason, why I don't use Orux.

I think that you are on a point of developping where you don't know which way to develop. It's your app and it's great. I never had problems with it using the Galaxy S and I already posted in the market some days ago. Just did an update with the devices name.
To come back to the app and your development. Everybody uses apps for different kind of use. For example my to do list is a shopping list app. Locus has the potential to serve people for different kind of convenience. Your just a few steps away from road navigation. Your just a few steps away from a route tracker/server for sparetime activities. And so on. That's what I meant with "Monster".  

As being a farmer I'm gonna use Locus as a kind of guidance system. Have a look here, just to have a clue what I mean: //http://www.trimble.com/agriculture/guidance.aspx.
There's just a few things missing (exept the guidance).
- display the recorded track width in meters, according to the machine I work with.
- display the track, that you already have recorded in the same session, in another colour. Like don't work at the same place twice.
- having a kind of online database (google docs?) to organize what work you are currently are doing and what you still have to.
- loading "MyMaps" from Google server and being able to edit the informations in there with just clicking on the fields as I don't have tracks in MyMaps, just Polygons.

But as I already said. It's your app. And only you decide in which way you develop it. ;)
At the moment I'm very happy with the development, so I'm gladly testing your beta versions and giving you feedback.

Just a word about accuracy. As you read above I have to have a very good accuracy. The accuracy shown in Locus is 1 meter. Other apps are showing 2,2 meters (same conditions). So... I think it's still not too bad.

If you want me to translate some text into German, I'm gonna to this. I also have basic knowledge of French. So I'll try this too. Just give me the english textfiles, I can't handle Czech!!!

Bye for now, I'm having a look at 0.9.3.6  :mrgreen:

berkley

Edit again, bad short time memory :P
I think you better choose another app name. At least for Germany. Because the word "Locus" describes the place where you are doing your big business. So probably you just get some 1 star ratings in the market because someone is just looking for an app showing public toilets! ;)
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

cythraul

Hi, I just discovered this app via the thread on xda-devs and looks like I'm going to be using it enough to warrant registering here too. Simply awesome. Some notes, though note that these are based on the market version, so please ignore if you've already looked at some of these.

Feature requests:

Could the Tracks menu have the same options as Points menu? Like Select all, find on map, categories etc. I realize this may be "subverting" what tracks were designed for, but for me the main use is stuff like layering Tokyo subway tracks on the map like this.

The popup when clicking a single waypoint is a bit narrow for most of my waypoint names. Could the waypoint name be split on two lines, or maybe have the name scroll or just makethe popup wider? (or make the full name visible without tapping like someone suggested)

Bugs(?):

When importing my map from Google, most waypoints retained the blue pin symbol while some adopted the one set in my category on Locus. Is this supposed to happen?

This map is unselectable for me in Locus My Maps (can't click on the checkbox, can't open the menu when clicking on it etc.) One of my own maps also behaves weirdly (I can open the menu and export the waypoints, but sometimes trying to click the checkbox makes it just stop responding, while other maps continue to work). What does the checkbox do btw?

Clicking Guide On on a waypoint in Japan while the GPS thinks it's in Prague slows the app to crawl, almost unresponsive. Done that twice by accident now and had to Force Close to get my phone back working again. Maybe add some sanity check into the guide feature. Or maybe I need a faster phone :)

Offline mode: Is there supposed to be a full offline mode? The one in settings only seems to disable online maps, but the app still downloads stuff like photos in waypoint descriptions.

When editing waypoints, Japanese (and probably other weird languages) characters are displayed by the character code in the edit menu. As in, & #27494 instead of 武. Not a big issue, and seems to only affect imported waypoints (if I write 武 in Locus, it's displayed correctly also in the edit menu.
  •  

Menion

Hi cythral,
  glad you like it and also big thanks to your post!

so ...
  About tracks. In beta version is already Select all and Invert buttons. About categories for tracks ... hmm, I don't like this idea much. I added "filter" into Points managing, so you can now filter some points by the icon! I think about something similar to tracks. You set to every track some type and then you can filter them by this type. Hmm seems to be almost the same :) Ok. I though about predefined categories like bike, foot, default, imported, and more (as users want) and then ability to filter by this ...

About names next to points on map .. I know I know ... you're not the first one who ask. I'll have to do something with this :) probably possibility to show whole names next to points on map ...

Bugs ... thank you! you're the first who wrote me something about My Maps. I was little worried if it wasn't waste of power on this. Hope not. Bugs you wrote were there. I fixed weird mistake with not selectable items in list. It was due to html links in Maps description. Links are now not clickable but selection works at least for me. About importing. Since market version I did many improvements to import this data and also KML files, so please try it with testing version. If you find any problem, share your map with me and I'll probably fix this! Anyway, did you try direct editing in Locus? I discovered that map edited in Locus do not show with exactly same color or icons on Google maps and I cannot find where is problem. Same map on Locus in another phone looks allright ... weird

How it's possible that GPS think, that you're in Prague? Someone wrote me similar issue as comment on market ... grr!

Fully offline mode, hmm is this really reqired? If you want full offline, it's easier to turn off data connection with some software! In Locus is few places where I need internet connection and more will come and I don't want to do on every palce some check if connection is allowed or not ... sry

And on editing I'll look ...
  •  

Menion

Quote from: "berkley"Hey,

you just released another 2 versions... Please come down to earth. I have to work :P
I understand your worries about the app getting too complex for basic users. That's just one reason, why I don't use Orux.

I think that you are on a point of developping where you don't know which way to develop. It's your app and it's great. I never had problems with it using the Galaxy S and I already posted in the market some days ago. Just did an update with the devices name.
To come back to the app and your development. Everybody uses apps for different kind of use. For example my to do list is a shopping list app. Locus has the potential to serve people for different kind of convenience. Your just a few steps away from road navigation. Your just a few steps away from a route tracker/server for sparetime activities. And so on. That's what I meant with "Monster".  

As being a farmer I'm gonna use Locus as a kind of guidance system. Have a look here, just to have a clue what I mean: //http://www.trimble.com/agriculture/guidance.aspx.
There's just a few things missing (exept the guidance).
- display the recorded track width in meters, according to the machine I work with.
- display the track, that you already have recorded in the same session, in another colour. Like don't work at the same place twice.
- having a kind of online database (google docs?) to organize what work you are currently are doing and what you still have to.
- loading "MyMaps" from Google server and being able to edit the informations in there with just clicking on the fields as I don't have tracks in MyMaps, just Polygons.

But as I already said. It's your app. And only you decide in which way you develop it. ;)
At the moment I'm very happy with the development, so I'm gladly testing your beta versions and giving you feedback.

Just a word about accuracy. As you read above I have to have a very good accuracy. The accuracy shown in Locus is 1 meter. Other apps are showing 2,2 meters (same conditions). So... I think it's still not too bad.

If you want me to translate some text into German, I'm gonna to this. I also have basic knowledge of French. So I'll try this too. Just give me the english textfiles, I can't handle Czech!!!

Bye for now, I'm having a look at 0.9.3.6  :mrgreen:

berkley

Edit again, bad short time memory :P
I think you better choose another app name. At least for Germany. Because the word "Locus" describes the place where you are doing your big business. So probably you just get some 1 star ratings in the market because someone is just looking for an app showing public toilets! ;)

:) sympathic post, thanks!

I have to work also, don't worry. Today, probably no new version will be released!

You're not right with your idea that I'm at point where I have no exact idea of develop. I have. Current state is almost final for first part. I want also do ability to compute directions and then I'll just fix bugs and do some small improvements. For example support for track width in metres ;), support for more coordinate systems, some other features but nothing more. I think that application will then need some time to fix all main problems, improve GUI to be more user friendly, also write some manuals (which I really hate) and more ...

and then? :) ... At THIS point I'll be at place where I have no idea where to go. I'll use this software as a part of my postgraduate work so I think, way will go here at least for a while ...

but ... some of thinks you wrote, that you are missing, aren't so hard to do. I'll look on some of them closer later. You have to count that I want to hold Locus general as long as i can. I don't want to Locus became specialized on one thing like ... sport software or something like this. It will never be so good as any other specialized software.

And about ... ehm ... public toilets ... I really like this word http://www.online-dictionary.biz/latin/ ... ning/locus, so sorry but I'll not change this. Maybe I should prepare some POI database of public toilets for German users? ;)
  •  

cythraul

Ok I switched to 0.9.3.6

Some maps become randomly unselectable in My maps. Creating/deleting new maps or leaving and re-entering My maps seems to "reset" the situation.

Currently I have 4 maps showing in My Maps: First the Demolished Haikyo map (link in my previous post), then two maps I created earlier in Google Maps and finally the Tokyo subway trails map (link in my previous post. The Tokyo subway map is selectable when entering My Maps, but only if it's the first map I click on. It becomes unselectable if I first click another map or if I click on it and then click back button. If I create a new map in My Maps, some other map starts behaving this way.

Maybe your fixes about maps with a url in their description fix this too?
---

If I create a new map in My Maps and add waypoints to it, it shows up in Google as a public map (searchable by others). I think having it be private would be better as the default setting. Or it would be nice if there was at least an option. The map creation stuff itself seems to work fine, though :)

A number of maps that are in my Google Maps don't show in My Maps. This is one. I haven't yet looked into it more carefully, so they might all have "folders" like that or other weird stuff... Btw, option to search and import other users' maps might be cool :)

I guess you're right about the full offline; I'd probably want to use global settings in that case anyway...
  •  

cythraul

QuoteHow it's possible that GPS think, that you're in Prague? Someone wrote me similar issue as comment on market ... grr!

Ah, forgot about this. I think the Prague thing is just the default location when the app starts and doesn't have gps location. I was first testing the app on the train so I just had gps turned off from phone settings the whole time... I wasn't complaining about the Prague thing, but the fact that the app tries to draw a 9000km Guide line and stops responding.
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  so fixed version is here for testing with many improvements also ... as usual ;)

about MyMaps ... thanks for your report. Please try it now ... you can now select type of map (public, unlisted), also all map should be clickable without problems.

map you don't see! Interesting is that I added this map into My Maps, and google maps do not see it too. Also when I receive data from My maps, this map isn't there. Anyway .. how did you created this complex map with folders?? Seems that this map will be problem and I have no idea how to receive this data ...

And please, beware direct contact with me. After I read newest comment on market, I know new information about myself!

"Use authentication credentials of an account? Are you smoking crack? I don't care what reasons you give, could easily be BS. Screw this app."

enjoy new version ;)

EDIT:
  I think that new version should be posted on market soon. So if you found any errors, let me know. Otherwise I'll probably tomorrow send this child into world ...
  •  

rkirmeier

Love the daily updates! Could you re-enable large maps but maybe just display a warning? It seems that with the txt file trick we can get maps that are at least a little larger then 2GB to work fine...
  •  

Menion

unfortunately maps bigger then 2GB are loaded without any warning, but they not work correctly. Seems that all tiles that are in file places over 2GB limit are ignored and internal database handler throws exceptions! Because of this, I disabled support for this big maps!

Big maps will be disabled until I find any method how to manage this issue ...
  •  

cythraul

Quoteabout MyMaps ... thanks for your report. Please try it now ... you can now select type of map (public, unlisted), also all map should be clickable without problems.

Yes, no problems now. And it seems a lot snappier too. Nice. I still haven't figured out what those checkboxes actually do, though :)

Maps that have no description now say "null". Maybe "(No description)" instead?

Quotehow did you created this complex map with folders?? Seems that this map will be problem and I have no idea how to receive this data ...

Ah, it's not created by me.  Here's another similar one that doesn't show in Locus.

I'll play with it some more over the weekend.

QuoteAnd please, beware direct contact with me. After I read newest comment on market, I know new information about myself!

Man that comment sucked... But I have to admit the app description in the market is a bit doesn't really work to make people less suspicious. Would you like some help with that? I'm no  marketer, but I can write technical descriptions :)
  •  

Menion

Hi,
main purpose of all checkbox is "show this item on map". It's same with My Maps!

"null" is mistake of course, thanks

these complex maps are really nice, but I'm not sure, if I can find any solution to show them. Loading maps from Google account is not in my hands, it's part of one external library ...

and description: I don't think that description is so weird. But I'm more programmer then technical documentation writer, so any help, idea, tips, are surely welcome :) Thanks
  •