[APP] - version 0.9.3.X

Started by Menion, January 13, 2011, 22:23:45

Menion

Hi to all,
  seems that waiting for new My Tracks release is never ending ...

... so, seems that you really want track recording, I created one during today!

There is also missing many features but recording and viewing recorded track is now available!

BUT! I need any feedback from you! I'm personally not using track recording, so I don't know what is most important for that. Help me create simple and useful track recorder. Not any complex as My Tracks and many others is. Try this version, write me mistakes and things you really miss and want!! Exporting feature is prepared but not working. What formats do you like to export? Is important for you to select path of exported data or is enough to export to for example Locus root directory? Write, write, something :) thanks to all ...

EDIT

19.1.2011 - Locus 0.9.3.7
Big update ...
  • support for maps bigger then 2GB actually disabled. No simple solution to Hack android device problems with these big files!
  • improved menu on map screen (when you press hardware menu button). There is enough space for new, simple "tools"
  • ability to draw (and save) track manually
  • created categories for tracks (currently only few types ... do you want more? which?), ability to filter them similar to point filter.
  • many fixs with My Maps. Now should work much better!
  • new dialog for creating new maps in My Maps
  • and many more, I don't even know what ... :)

17.1.2011 - Locus 0.9.3.6
One update after another ...
  • imporvements for SQL maps with TXT file works even on smaller maps if you have any problems or want faster initialization
  • small fix to Locus icon

17.1.2011 - Locus 0.9.3.5
One nice morning update!
  • added support for unlimited SQL file map size ;) (with some work before fully function to do - read after try to add map - works?)
  • rapidly improved importing of files (KML now support whole range of style tag, GPX, ...)
  • fixed some problems with map edit!
  • added custom filtering of POI's (by icon - usable for imported data, PQ, KML, ...)

16.1.2011 - Locus 0.9.3.4
Hmm, don't work on saturday and sunday I suggest. But I have to, you're waiting for new versions right? :) so ...
  • improved route record speed and stability. Now do not harm map speed anymore ...
  • added editable style of every single track!!
  • added settings for default track style and also settings for behavior of track record!
  • many fixs and improvements mainly with tracks ... uff

15.1.2011 - Locus 0.9.3.3
  • fixed stupid crashing mistake during track record
  • added Switzerland Maps+
  • re-writted online map handling. I founded source of OutOfMemory errors during Online maps viewing. But it need some testing, so Online maps may be a little slower now, just test and let me know ...
  • problem with Offline maps bigger then 2GB cannot be solved! It's limitation in Android devices, so offline maps bigger then 2GB aren't supported now!

14.1.2011 - Locus 0.9.3.2
  • added Google China (doesn't seem to work as have to ... same as MOBAC ... in Peking, around 500 metres out ... what you think?!)
  • added Google Korea maps
  • added ability to export Tracks
  • fixed problem with selection download "By state"
  • founded problem with SQLite maps bigger then cca 1.5GB! I cannot initialize them correctly! Not fixed yet. Currently only solution for me is that all zooms will be opened which means that you'll zoom through all zooms even when no tiles are downloaded ... stupid!
  • fixed some crashs when leaving POI screen too fast :)
[/list]
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

notuo

Hi.

Sorry for this question. I am new in android and here.

What's track recording?
  •  

Menion

Maybe it's not the best english translation ... Track logger better? it just record points when you're walking or driving with enabled gps ...
  •  

naxan

Quoteproblem with Offline maps bigger then 2GB cannot be solved! It's limitation in Android devices, so offline maps bigger then 2GB aren't supported now!

Found your programm shortly and it works great. It didn't first, because I was trying to open a 4.5GB-map...
May I ask which limitation that is? What is the limiting factor / problem? (Just interested, I once worked as software-dev..)

Thx!
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  I have discusses this problem on google group here
http://groups.google.com/group/android- ... ac881a6f15
  and no one know any nice solution. Problem is that I need to know which zooms are available but this cannot be done automatically. Only think that is possible is to set this manually. But I'm not sure if this will not be more confusing.

but! If you want to use map bigger then 2GB, try to set this map as online storage into 'mapsOnline' folder with correct name. Maybe this should works well.
  •  

naxan

Hi,
now I understand..
Sadly, I can't use mapsOnline folder, because on my Device (Archos 101) there isn't enough space in that path. And I need/want a simple possibility to switch between different maps... So now I will build my maps into 2gb parts...
thx!
  •  

Menion

I have one solution in mind ... wait with deleting maps for a while. it will not be as easy to create for basic users, but I think, it should work ... ;)
  •  

naxan

Ok, I will wait.
  •  

berkley

Hi,

just playing around with version 0.9.3.3 and had some suggestions. So I came here to post them. Then I saw that you already included them in version 0.9.3.4 ... lol
Looks like you're developping way too fast. There's no time for testing!!!  :mrgreen:

Just a few questions for the tracks menu in settings:
(1) "Interval (meters)" means that (if for example is set to "1 meter") the app only writes points if you move more than 1 meter?
(2) "Interval (seconds)" means taht (if for example is set to "1 second") the app only writes points every 1 second?
(3) How can I set these values to lower than 1? Like 0,2 meter and 0,05 seconds?
(4) Is the value in "Track width" in pixels or meter?

I am using a 10hz bluetooth gps receiver. It works awesome!!! The app draws very exact tracks. Even if the phone is in standby! There's just a small problem. The accuracy shown in the gps menu isn't exact enough. I guess that the accuracy is about 0,3 meters. But the info shows just 1 meter. Can you include an exacter accurancy? Like 0,3 meters?

What about a kind of digital zoom? The closest zoom to ground shows about 200 meters in the screen. It would be great if you could just zoom in digitally. Know what I mean? Edit: Forget about that. Just figured it out... ;)

And if you are thinking about a paid version you should include some options for multilanguage...

Greetz from sunny Bavaria,
berkley

P.S. Do you know that you are creating a MONSTER???  8-)

Edit: I forgot to write something about the file systems...
I guess it would be usefull if every user can choose the destination the tracks are stored. Just my opinion. If you don't want the users to choose, I'd suggest the external sd as standard storage.
As file formats I suggest gpx and kml. Everybody can handle them.
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

superscout03

BRAVO! This application is getting better with every upgrade you do. Being able import and record and rename and edit track files is awesome, line-color width name etc...
A few ideas from me.

-Being able to manually draw your own track on the map without having to be connected to the internet. and still having the funtion of editablity, track color, name, etc..

- an option to be able to see the the "name" of a point and or "waypoint" on the screen without tapping on the icon. example.. you have a point set on the map and the name of the point hovers overtop of or next to the icon making it so you dont have to tap the icon to see its name. But have the feature be able to turn on or off also.

- More location formats than just Lat/Lon and UTM. I personally use MGRS for most of my applications and navigation, due to the fact that it is much easier and faster to input and the fact that alot of roads are non existant in my area. But thats just me.

-Being able to make categories for track logs or and making seperate folders for specific type tracks instead of having them all cram into one folder...kinda like the way you have the points management set up being able to create seperate catagories.

Your doing awesome work here whith this application. Keep up the good work!

-
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  thanks for feedback .. finally anyone :)

Quote from: "superscout03"-Being able to manually draw your own track on the map without having to be connected to the internet. and still having the funtion of editablity, track color, name, etc..
This is already there. Just connect to My Maps and tap "Edit" on any of your map!!
I also plan to add something like this to define points for route compute, but still not sure where to place, so later ..

Quote from: "superscout03"- an option to be able to see the the "name" of a point and or "waypoint" on the screen without tapping on the icon. example.. you have a point set on the map and the name of the point hovers overtop of or next to the icon making it so you dont have to tap the icon to see its name. But have the feature be able to turn on or off also.
I count with this. Will be done later also ...

Quote from: "superscout03"- More location formats than just Lat/Lon and UTM. I personally use MGRS for most of my applications and navigation, due to the fact that it is much easier and faster to input and the fact that alot of roads are non existant in my area. But thats just me.
Same as previous. It's a "hard" work" for me so it has less priority!

Quote from: "superscout03"-Being able to make categories for track logs or and making seperate folders for specific type tracks instead of having them all cram into one folder...kinda like the way you have the points management set up being able to create seperate catagories.
Hmm I'll think about it ...
  •  

superscout03

Quotesuperscout03 wrote:
-Being able to manually draw your own track on the map without having to be connected to the internet. and still having the funtion of editablity, track color, name, etc..
and you responded.....
Quotemenion wrote:
This is already there. Just connect to My Maps and tap "Edit" on any of your map!!

Question still remains...
Yeah but you still have to be connected to the internet and logged into "My Maps" to be able to draw on the map, you cannot draw on the map in Locus in offline mode, so if you are in an area with no internet or out on an expedition in the middle of nowhere and you want to be able to plan your own track on the go and manually draw it then it wont let you..... unless your connected to online to My Maps.
  •  

Menion

Yes you're of course right with this :)

there are two question, maybe more ..

1. is this really so useful? What are cases in nature where you need to draw your own path on map?

2. simple application on begin, being slowly a little bit complicated. I'll have to do some GUI improving to increase usability for basic users. And now ... some new icon "Create custom route" .. where to place this? Right panel is ideal place but, I also want to do directions computing. It's based that you defince 2 - 4 points on map and OpenStreetMap Server compute track between them. For this I also need two panels. One for defining path (similar you require) and second for same handling with already computer track (saving, loading, recompute, ...). Oh, so much functionality and so few space on screen :)

This is for a little discussion. I, as a developer have no objective opinion on this. Almost everything I create seems very easy for me, but not for all users...
  •  

superscout03

Quote1. is this really so useful? What are cases in nature where you need to draw your own path on map?

well being based off this application is used for having the ability to use personal downloaded maps and use them in an offline area out of cellrange or internet connections then yes it would be useful. Drawing the tracks on the map in my eyes is not just "planning a track or path to follow" but you can also use this function to draw lines and highlight specific areas on the map, giving the user the ability to make changes on the go when he or she is out of range of internet conections. So lets say for example your at home connected to the internet and you plan a track through the mountians using google satellite maps that you have downloaded onto Locus. You plan the track ahead of time and the next day follow it based on what you see on the map. ie..paths roads etc. Now lets say you get to a point on that track after you are in the mountians and you come to find out that the track is not going to work ie...unpassable. now being able to go back in and create a new track to work around the obsticle to get to the desired location.
 Just my opinion

Awesome work on this application though.
  •  

superscout03

EDIT-  STAND BY!! JUST SAW YOU ADDED AN UPDATE! hopefully it takes care of the following problem
I added a map into Locus and when i turn locus on it says
"Map bigger then 2GB are, due to limitations of android system, not allowed. Please remove mapfrom "maps" direcory to avoid this message!

But the map is ony 323mb????? and there are no other maps in the map directory.
reinstalled Locus again and tried to repeat the process but i get the same message, and the map does not show up under user maps, but if i add it using the + tab at the bottom to import the map it shows it as being in the map folder, and when i click on it it says,  "Map was already added!" but it stildoes not show up under user maps.
  •