New GPS power control (was GPS update broken)

Started by zsero, November 09, 2011, 14:03:35

zsero

menion,
Thanks for the new release! Could you set the search time's min. limit to 1? 15 is way too high.
  •  

Gordonx42

Quote from: "menion"ah so that's the problem, GPS is turning off for you when screen turn off. Do you have last version (new release yesterday) and also did this happen also when new GPS auto-off feature is disabled?

I updated to the latest version last night. I'll run some more tests when I get home tonight. (I never get GPS satellites in my office building).

Side note: just want to say that Locus is incredibly useful, versatile, customizable and well done. I love it.
  •  

Gordonx42

Quote from: "menion"Do you have last version (new release yesterday) and also did this happen also when new GPS auto-off feature is disabled?

I have the last version and yes, it also happens when the GPS auto-off feature is disabled. (Sorry I didn't try that sooner). So I guess my problem has nothing to do with the GPS auto-off!

EDIT: I'm now testing with GPS status and it also doesn't get a GPS fix while the screen is off. Could this be a hardware or system issue?
  •  

Menion

hmm, everything is possible. Are you using any custom rom? and what version system? Also when you in locus for example enable track recording and then turn screen off, GPS also turn off? (this really should not happen!)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Gordonx42

I'm running CyanogenMod 7.1, android version 2.3.7. And yes, GPS gets disabled with the screen off while recording a track in Locus. I ran Google's "My Tracks" this morning on my way into the office: I had the screen off and the track was recorded the entire way correctly. Strange!
  •  

InfX

Make sure you are not misinterpreting something entirely different as GPS disabled while the is screen off. I had a seemingly erratic track recording in Locus while testing the GPS auto-off features, that, at some point, for a moment, seemed to me like a GPS disabling while the screen is off, yet it wasn't. What it was is the track recording minimal interval and GPS auto-off interval both enabled, creating some strange behavior with the intervals, seemingly, drifting against each other, only recording a point when the on state for both happens to overlap.

PS: Try setting the time and distance intervals in track recording settings to 0, max accuracy to something much higher than the min accuracy in GPS auto off, and try again.
PPS: Don't get me wrong, this is most probably NOT it. I am just trying to coin in some possible directions, and it's easy enough to check it.
  •  

Gordonx42

Unfortunately it is happening whether track recording is enabled or not. I really think it's either system or hardware related.  I'm going to be upgrading to the g-nex soon, so I expect the problem will disappear.
  •  

Gordonx42

I'm still seeing this problem with my new rooted stock Samsung Galaxy Nexus: GPS auto-off does not get a GPS fix on the interval I set while the screen is off. What can I do to get this fixed? This is my favorite app for hiking and I need the ability to save my battery with this feature.

EDIT: For information purposes, I've tested this on the Motorola Droid (milestone), HTC Droid Incredible and Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It works perfectly on the Motorola Droid, but not on the Incredible or Galaxy Nexus.
  •  

Menion

you're correct .. I discovered same problem on my nexus ... for now, I suggest to disable this feature, I'll test it and try to fix ...
  •  

Gordonx42

Thanks menion, your application is the best.
  •  

Menion

hehe, thanks ... may you in some free time, try test version viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1404&p=8322#p8322 ? thanks ...
  •  

Gordonx42

Unfortunately I'm still seeing the problem with that one.
  •