Locus and openstreet maps...

Started by bha, October 10, 2011, 14:06:13

bha

Hi there,
I'm a first user (in the future) of LOCUS.
Want to use it on my mobile (HTC Sensation)in Marroc; Marrakech.
I know there is an openstreet map of Marrakech,  but is it possible to download this with Locus on your mobile?

Please help me. I'm also a first user on this board, so sorry if this post is in the wrong thread.

K.R., Arno
  •  

Menion

Hi Arno,
  I just moved your topic to Troubles & Questions section. I'm not sure what exactly you need? If you want same map as is on openstreetmap.org, then this is now not possible. You may anyway download many others maps directly in Locus. If you want vector map of Marroc, then for this you need Addon Vector maps, or you may create your own or you may download older (max few months) maps from here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=821#p4627

so describe what you exactly need if you want more precise help ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

bha

Thanks for your quick reply!
I need a good map for Marrakech so I can find my way back if I'm lost :)
I don't want to be online with my data-account because this is very expensive as we all know!

So, I'm searching for an app that does the job; only with pre-installed maps and GPS.
Locus is a possibility if there are (street)maps of Marroc and Marrakech.
I only found a streetmap from Marrakech on:
http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/14/7826/6672.png
But it's worthless if I can't use it in Locus.
Perhaps BackCounty Navigator is a better app, because it can use openstreet maps. Just my two cents?
  •  

Menion

:) try download from this link http://bit.ly/vectormaps map you need and place it to ../locus/mapsVector directory

you may also check another OSM maps, or there is many others like MapQuest, ArcGIS and few other types of OSM
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

bha

Thanks for your help menion, I give it a try...
  •  

Frenske

Remember that part of the fun in Marrakesh Medina is getting lost! There always somebody friendly enough to point you in the right direction ... of course for a small amount of money. Our Riad was in the middle of nowhere of the Medina and we were lost often. Be friendly and don't give too much even when they are a bit pushy, 5 dirham should be enough ... make sure you have small change all the time because oddly they never have change.  :roll: I think they built the Medina in such a way to extort money from lost tourists.

One more thing. Maps are notorious unreliable in Medina including on-line maps; don't rely too much on them.
  •