Download Maps Around Geocaches

Started by PaidTheUmpire, October 10, 2011, 11:20:02

PaidTheUmpire

Hey.

I love the program but would love to see this feature.

When you currently download maps around a set of caches it downloads all maps in an area around all caches. I'd like to see it just download the area around each cache otherwise the map sizes start getting to large.

This would save space in the database maps and lower the amount of data taken from the online map servers.

Thanks.
Rick
  •  

Menion

hi Rick,
  this functionality is already there ;) .. check Map manager -> Download tab -> Select POIs -> Around points
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jenda__

Hi Menion!

This is great functionality but is possible to make it faster? When I download map for quite a few points which are distant from each other, it looks like it's downloading e.g. 200,000 tiles. I understand that it works the way it makes rectangle around all points and then checks which tiles in this rectangle are close enough to any of these points. But it runs only about 100-500 tiles/sec on my Nexus S. So when this rectangle is made of 200,000 tiles, it works for ~15 minutes even if there are only 100 tiles to download.
Are you able to change this behavior to make it work faster?

In the past I made simple app for WinMobile 6 which did this: it converted GPS coords to tiles' coords, added & substracted 1 somehow and I had 9 tiles around every point. It was pretty fast even though it was slow .NET app on slow WM device written by someone who's not very good programmer. :-)
But I don't know if there are any disadvantages or complications to use this way in Locus...
  •  

Menion

Hello Jenda,
  as you wrote about it, I may confirm that current system is probably too complicated and thanks to it, too slow. I'm sure there is much faster way anyway it will take some time to create it. May you please post this idea on GetSatisfaction? There is at least chance that I'll not forget this and implement (because I agree that improvement may be useful)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •