selectable apps on the right sidebar

Started by paraflyer, October 01, 2011, 01:29:47

paraflyer

When opening a geocache description (=listing) most of the text is presented without linebreaks, though with a browser they are available. Strange that this is not a problem of all caches, some of them are correct - especially when the listing is written in HTML, not as plain text.

Is there any chance to also have linebreaks with plain text listings? Sometimes it's not an easy job to find all necessary informations when you have all text together.  ;)
  •  

Menion

hi,
  this is not possible. When listing is as html=false text, there is no chance to determine right places to break lines. If in plain text are some breaks, they should be also in Locus
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

paraflyer

Hmmmm...well, have a look to this cache please:
http://coord.info/GC1P96B

On my website the listing is "normal", linebreaks and so on. In "Locus" it's just a full text without any linebreaks. That's what I mean...and sometimes it's hard to filter possible coordinates inside the text or numbered steps for a multi-cache.

Do you see what I mean?
  •  

Menion

yes I see what you mean, but when you press "GPX file" button and look into this file, you will see that listing have "html="False" tag.  ... hmm as I see, there are some line breaks ... but when I import this gpx file, line breaks are also on listing page. may you check file you're importing, if it contain formating info for this cache, and if yes, send me this file ...
  •  

paraflyer

*grmpf*  :evil:

OK, Menion, forget it...maybe this was one of my old-imported caches and you already "fixed" it the last days. After clearing the category and re-importing the caches the linebreaks are now visible. Sorry!!

Don't wanna create a new thread for this question, but...has anyone already suggested a feature to convert coordinates inside a listing to clickable links? Maybe with some options to "show in map", "create waypoint", "copy text" or something like this? Shouldn't be that difficult to look for a "Nxx°"-pattern or "Sxx°", should it!?  :)
  •  

Menion

ah .. ok, this was improved about a month ago ... fine

yes, I had same request some time ago ... and I'm not sure about it. With this, it's going to be some "solver" part in Locus and that's something I don't wanted to do.
  •  

paraflyer

OK, I know what you mean!

Instead of integrating own solver capabilities you could add on option to open the "usual suspects" of solving apps. I'm using "GCC", this could be implemented in the right toolbar as a button or at the same place inside the geocaching-menu.

Just a thought. :)

P.S. You're really fast with replying...thanks again so much for your support!!
  •  

Menion

you're welcome ... supporting of some other solving application seems like nice idea ... I'll try to contact any solver app developer and we'll see ...
  •  

wvb

I haven't used solvers before but integration with an existing app seems like a great idea!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

paraflyer

Quote from: "menion"supporting of some other solving application seems like nice idea ... I'll try to contact any solver app developer and we'll see

Wouldn't it be easier to simply integrate an "select an app"-option? So you don't have to ask anyone and ALL apps would be supported. The users of "Locus" could choose any app they like to add - for me it would be a calculator, GCC for decryption and WhereYouGo for example.

I could imagine you're offering a new button for the sidebar (called "apps") and a configurable list for self-selected apps which are shown in a small list. One click and it will be loaded.  :)
  •  

Menion

question is in which way some other app should be integrated ... if just calling (opening) other app is enough?
  •  

paraflyer

Well...for me it would be OK. After opening (e.g. a calculator) I can quickly resolve a mathematical question of a cache and by pushing the back-arrow of my Android I'd go back to your app. Currently I have to switch to the desktop, open the menu, open the calculator and then pushing "Home" for one second to go back to previously opened apps. Same with GCC as a decoder and decryptor.

Sure, it would be fine to have a full integration, but I don't know how that will look like. So a direct access to a selected list of apps would be great for me.

That's the way I do geocaching...finding a stage of a multi-cache, maybe calculate or decrypt a question and heading to the next stage. For me it would be a great thing to handle the necessary apps by clicking on a button on the sidebar instead of getting back to the home screen and searching for these apps.
  •  

paraflyer

Hi Menion,

meanwhile you already implemented the 'app'-feature to put chosen apps in the bar on the right. Thanks for this!! :)

But...what I meant was the ability to choose a few apps somewhere inside the settings of Locus (e.g. a calculator, app xy, app xyz, and so on, no preconfigured apps, I mean self-selected apps) and these apps are available with a button on the right sidebar.

Example: I click this button on the right sidebar, a small list with all selected apps is opening, I select an app and this app is starting. So you don't have to maintain a given list and every user of Locus could choose his/her own selected apps.

Currently I have three apps I'd like to open while geocaching...but the sidebar is full with other buttons. So I only have the most important app selectable, to open the other I still have to go to the desktop and select them separate.

What do you think!? :-)
  •  

Menion

hmm .. I think that I'll not do from locus another homescreen replacement. Pressing home button and then selecting app you want to start (and later only by holding home button and selecting from popup menu) if fast enough I think ...
  •  

paraflyer

Hmmmm...not every user does it the same way of organizing apps on the homescreen. I have more than 150 apps installed and they are collected in groups. To reach a specific app I have to click more than here and there. Additionally...some apps are used very rare, for example the calculator. But imagine you're standing somewhere outside, trying to find a geocache and then you need to calculate a question. I'd be more than happy only to click the button on the right bar to have fast access to the calculator.

Otherwise...what is (technically) the difference for you between the current solution of having pre-selected apps and the chance that the user can select the own app?

Don't get me wrong Menion, you're doing a great job and 'Locus' is a star on the sky of apps. But you're providing 5 selected apps from within the menu, 2 of them are useful for me, but I'd like to add at least three more, some other users maybe more. In my opinion it won't be a homescreen-replacement and I don't need icons. Just a list of configurable apps I selected be myself.
  •