Locus on Android Tablet

Started by uruvela, September 23, 2011, 07:44:54

uruvela

:roll: I am very new to Android,
Q;1 Can I use LOCUS software Pro on "Toshiba Thrive 10'' inch Android Tablet PC" ?
Q;2 Can I upload my map (Roads, tracks & map points in GPX file)  to use as offline map on above Android Tablet PC ?
  •  

Menion

hello,
  best for you is to install and play a little with Locus Free version. It do all main thing and when you will want later and will be satisfied, you may buy payed. I'm sure both answers are Yes, but as I suggest ... play with Free for a while
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Khaytsus

Here's how I use Locus most times...

I use my Dell Streak 7 (7", Android 2.2) tablet to download and review maps, set up tracks, explore around, and generally do most of my playing around in Locus.  I geocache and benchmark, so I tend to do a fair amount of time looking on topo maps for marked BM's that I don't have in my points database, and when I find one, I add it to the database so I can find it easier later.  So the Tablet has the latest databases, both map and points.

My phone, also a Nexus One, I actually use "in the field" geocaching and benchmarking, and I use it in offline mode as much as possible to avoid downloading map data etc on the fly.  Ideally the only data I'm using here is for routing information, although I do have unlimited data, data = battery use.

So what I do is use RSync for Android (in the market) to transfer /sdcard/Locus from my Tablet up to my computer, then I do the reverse for the phone, the phone uses RSync for Android to download the directory on my computer.  That way the two stay in sync on maps and categories/points.  You can always do this over USB Mass Storage of course, I tend to do all of my backups using rsync so I can just do it over wifi.

Big caveat right now that Menion is working on....  When I do this, the databases seem to be "read only" after I put them on the phone from the tablet, I can't update them.  So I've for now do NOT transfer the categories, I only transfer the maps.  So I am importing my Geocaching data into both tablet and phone for the time being.  This is acceptable for me for now, as I intend to only really download new map data on the tablet, although I will at times download new map data on the phone.  It'd be nice to merge the map data between the two devices, but that's probably fairly complicated to do but would not be impossible.  Two separate locations for the map databases, dump, combine....  Haven't tried it, but should work in theory.

If I want to transfer categories or tracks, what I do is Export them and click "Also Share" and I send it to Dropbox.  Then I download it on the phone and import it.  Pretty fast process and I can do it about anywhere.
  •  

wsanderson

I use Locus Free and Pro (with Vector Download) on my Toshiba Thrive successfully.
Need to keep the Thrive on for the GPS to remain active.
  •  

uruvela

OK, Thank you All. Your answers encourage me to try.......
  •  

peterg2000

Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to import maps?

I loaded up locus on my Toshiba Thrive and it works great except that I don't have detailed
Topo info for Quebec. So I'd like to download some maps!

I've been looking for a procedure but haven't found one, at least not for a tablet!
I have locus Pro!  It seems to have terrific potential!

I went to the site that allows you to export a section of the world map in png format!
But what do I do once I get it? Where do I import it?

There is a map manager in locus but it doesn't point to the same site!  I'm also new to Android
so that's not helping either!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Pete
  •  

peterg2000

OK , I downloaded the tweak , and actually ran it this time LOL ! Now I get lots more maps but alas no Quebec Topo's!
The best I can tell is google but you don't get the elevation lines!

Pete
  •  

peterg2000

Mytopo has the Canada maps !  I missed it because  it says  Mytopo(United States) but it acually has a good pasrt of Canada as well!

Thanks

Pete
  •  

Paxton

Quote from: "uruvela":roll: I am very new to Android,
Q;1 Can I use LOCUS software Pro on "Toshiba Thrive 10'' inch Android Tablet PC" ?
Q;2 Can I upload my map (Roads, tracks & map points in GPX file)  to use as offline map on above Android Tablet PC ?

My 13 year old son said he wanted an android tablet for Christmas. He is a honestly a geek and could mod the heck out of it so something maybe from China or something. I he however wants a resolution of at least 600x840,a capasitive touch screen,and it must have full accesses to the Android market. My budget is only 200$ so again DIRT CHEAP please. Thank you so much.
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "Paxton"My 13 year old son said he wanted an android tablet for Christmas. He is a honestly a geek and could mod the heck out of it so something maybe from China or something. I he however wants a resolution of at least 600x840,a capasitive touch screen,and it must have full accesses to the Android market. My budget is only 200$ so again DIRT CHEAP please. Thank you so much.
For Christmas? Hm, long time still.
For your budget (and even you're budget would be almost the double of it) I can honestly recommend Nexus 7 (for 200USD you'll get it with WiFi and 16GB memory). I have on in use and it's not only cheap and bad but really good value for the money.
  •