Statkart maps

Started by Menion, September 22, 2011, 13:35:46

Menion

Guys I need your help. I was communicating with some guy from Statkart and after few mails, I'm not sure if I'm stupid or if they hide something! So if anyone is interested in using Statkart maps in Locus, check this and tell me your opinion.

my email 16.9.2011
Good day,
  I wrote You few months ago about ability to use your maps in Android Locus application. There was problem with fact, that Locus is distributed in payed and free version.
  Today I noticed that Backcountry navigator, mainly payed android application, use your maps. So I wanna ask if condition has changes and if so, please let me know, what are conditions (terms of use, payment, ...) to add your maps into Locus.

response (today)
We refer to your e-mail of 16th September and earlier contact regarding use of maps from the Norwegian Mapping Authority, Statens kartverk, in an Android Locus Application.

As previously mentioned, the Authority's open services are limited to private use, meaning that commercial exploitation is not allowed. Ref. terms of use at http/www.statkart.no/nor/Land/Kart_og_produkter/Produkter_og_tjenester/".

Our answer is therefore still that as long as your app is published (offered) in combination with commercial advertisements, it cannot be based on our data / open services.  

so I wrote :)
 thank you for your answer. In your email, you confirm me, that the conditions remains same.

If so, then my main question from previous email, remain. How is possible that payed application use your maps even this is not possible to your terms of use.

and answer ...
What you describe is technically possible, but as already stated, not allowed according to the current terms which you accept by using the relevant data service.

.. damn, am I stupid or is impossible to receive normal answer on simple question?? Looks they really do not want answer ... if so, then I'm sorry but Statkart maps will not be in Locus because of impossible communication ... omg
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Gammalerik

The free Norwegian app "Norgeskart" I used before migrating to Locus, makes use of Statkart's maps. They do this in the following way: The users are entitled to 10.000 map-tiles a day and offline maps will be stored for 14 days before cache is getting wiped according to rules set by Statkart.
  •  

Menion

yes this is possible but only for free applications, not for payed once. But whole thing I wrote about is ability to use their maps also in Locus PRO. Reason for this was that I saw support for their maps in BN application and this is payed one...
  •  

wvb

It seems it's technically not allowed but if you break the terms they won't do much against it at this point...
I see 2 options:
- you implement it and break the terms (not so good in my opinion..)
- someone creates a free addon which implements the maps, you have no control over who creates an addon so you are not responsible :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

Menion

I understand ...

.. I was just curios if problem with understand of mail communication is in my mind or if they really do not want to answer such simple question like "How another payed application can use your maps!!" ...
  •  

arie876

The thread is 6 months old, but for anyone interested.

I got it working by using the WMS of Norgeskart.

http://openwms.statkart.no/skwms1/wms.t ... sion=1.1.1

The same terms and conditions apply of course, and you will be blocked after 10k tiles. But we do get the Locus finctionality which is of course way better then Backcountry, let alone their own app. Combined with the new OSM vector maps it works wonders :)

Maybe the wms can be included in standard favorites list.

The Cached version can be found here, you'll have to manually add this to the locus online repository file. I think the same conditions apply, except now Locus can cache them decently.

Cached (for online service and automatic downloading by locus):

See: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ID%3D14165

I have added the following to my providers.xml, this will allow you to download op to 10k tiles a day. Keep in mind that you must renew those tiles after 14 days to follow the usage rights, see link above.

<!-- Statkart Norway -->
   <provider id="10026" type="0" visible="true" background="-1">
     <name>Norway Statkart</name>
     <mode>Topo</mode>
     <area>Norway</area>
     <url><![CDATA[http://opencache.statkart.no/gatekeeper/gk/gk.open_gmaps?layers=toporaster2&zoom={z}&x={x}&y={y}]]></url>
     <zoomPart>{z}-8</zoomPart>
     <zoomMin>8</zoomMin>
     <zoomMax>24</zoomMax>
     <tileSize>256</tileSize>
     <attribution><![CDATA[(c) Statkart.no Kartverket]]></attribution>
     <extraHeader><![CDATA[Referer#http://statkart.no/]]></extraHeader>
     <extraHeader><![CDATA[User-Agent#Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1]]></extraHeader>
   </provider>
  •  

Menion

you bring me nice Idea in my mind, so new nice solution for adding WMS maps to Locus

on this page:
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:wms_maps_list

are defined WMS maps (same except Norway are already in "Recommended" tab in Locus). Since next Locus version, when you display this page in your phone, by tapping on "Add to Locus", map will be directly added to Locus ;)
  •