*off topic* waterproofing

Started by Gammalerik, September 19, 2011, 22:35:43

Gammalerik

OK, so this thread is not quite about Locus, but nevertheless of some interest I guess. I was not quite sure where to put this thread, so "Discussion" was chosen.

We who use Locus are mainly outdoors people and are in the risk of getting our precious phone wet at some point. This thread is for sharing experiences of ways our phones are waterproofed. Points of interest are:

• What brand of case/bag do you own?
  • Is it waterproof or water resistant?
  • How well can you operate the display when the case/bag is wet?
  • Is saltwater a problem for the capasitive properties?
  • Solid built?

Me myself has not gotten one yet, but I am thinking of buing one of these two linked below. Krusell is IP67-certified (1m depth for 30 minutes) and Aquabox is IP68-certified (6meters) They have a silicone membrane front and back.

Aquabox
SEaLABox
  •  

Khaytsus

I have two Aquapac's, neither seem to be sold on the website anymore so I can't link them..  but they both work quite well, they're very durable, waterproof, float if dropped.  They will NOT protect against falls.

The biggest problems I've had with them in the past was if you have a rubbery case on your phone, the case can either stick to it or be difficult to get in or out of the pouch.  Previous phones I had Best Skins Ever on and they stick to those types of phone skins really hard, in fact I used to keep a small piece of wax paper in the case.  But if you don't have that type of skin on your phone, it's no problem.  :)

Operation is just fine, only problem I have is when it's raining and the case gets rain droplets on it the screen sometimes acts funny..  Usually I hit the power button (suspend), wipe it off, turn back on and it's fine.  Don't know that salt water would be any worse offhand, but just fresh around here.  And they are built really well, the seal and mechanism you know it's closed.

If you want something that's waterproof AND pretty much damage proof, get an Otterbox.  But you won't be able to use the screen.  I'm planning on mounting an Otterbox 2000 on a 4-hole GPS mount that'll mount on bike handlebars for biking with the phone accessible.  Some foam and it should be good for vibration, water, and the potential fall (singletrack, not bombing down mountains but still rough stuff).
  •  

Skater

@Khaytsus
QuoteAquapac's
Top idea  :D
Thanks.
//http://www.aquapac.de/en/home/
I'm use aquapac only for my camera. Now I put my Galaxy inside and it works fine  :!:
Touchscreen works fine.
Next outdoor action and aquapac shadow me.

Motobiking:
//http://www.givi.de/Zubehor-fur-Moto-Maxiscooter/Zubehor/S950

Skater
"A life without LOCUS is possible but pointless" (based on Loriot)
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "Skater"@Khaytsus
QuoteAquapac's
Top idea  :D
Thanks.
//http://www.aquapac.de/en/home/
I'm aquapac only for my camera. Now I put my Galaxy inside and it works fine  :!:
Touchscreen works fine.
Next outdoor action and aquapac shadow me.

Motobiking:
//http://www.givi.de/Zubehor-fur-Moto-Maxiscooter/Zubehor/S950

Skater
Yep, that'll work for water resistance, but no impact protection.  I ride MTB, so I need some protection ;)  But for roadies or such, should be fine.  I wonder if it's water resistant enough to ride a motorcycle at speed in rain?
  •  

Skater

Cover hood against rain and I have installed it behind a windshield. Therefore the Givi will not get very wet.
Both, acquapac and Givi, are big enough to complement a protection, may be foam material.
Skater
"A life without LOCUS is possible but pointless" (based on Loriot)
  •  

Henk van der Spek

For that reason I have a IP68 schockproof phone with a big battery.
Operating when wet is hit and miss. Have to wipe it dry. But that is during our favorite activity, hiking, no problem because we use guiding in a track by voice commands.

I also use it bare-bones on my motorccycle and atb with a self made holder/support.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Menion

It was a little "spam" message and this topic is interesting but quite old. Nevermind :).

I remember that a long time ago, just because of problems with water on the display, the "screen lock" function was created, to prevent some accidental taps by water drops. Anyway not to turn the screen on, is the best solution :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download