Waypoints edit by dragging

Started by Gammalerik, September 05, 2011, 21:23:20

Gammalerik

Could it be possible to make the waypoints in a track editable by i.e hold-pressing them and dragging them to a new location? Just like in the Viewranger app? Very useful for plotting a route at sea when one can "drag-draw" tracks between obstacles in narrow straights by moving waypoints.

As it it now, it is a bit trial and error where one place waypoints when plotting course. Suddenly one notice that, say the line between waypoint two and three went straight over a submerged rock. By dragging waypoint two or three you can then keep clear.
  •  

Gammalerik

To clarify:
I am able to do this when creating a new track, but not when editing an existing one.
Am I missing something?
  •  

Menion

no no, you're not missing anything. This is not currently possible, and I'm not if will be in future. You may delete wrong point on recorded track. This is way how to remove wrong point from track. Recommended method to edit track is on computer with some software or on GPSies web site (where you can directly upload track from Locus)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Gammalerik

It is possible that you misunderstood me. I did not think of a way to "drag-edit" recorded points in tracks, but to "drag move" waypoints in a route after I have made them in this screen:

[attachment=1:brqgamz3]SC20110910-162529.jpeg[/attachment:brqgamz3]

When I have completed the plotting, the screen looks like this:

[attachment=0:brqgamz3]SC20110910-162916.jpeg[/attachment:brqgamz3]

Say that I now want to move waypoint 3 a bit south. I find that it is not drag-able anymore. I then tap point 3 and get a menu from which I cannot seem to be able to edit its new position from. If I choose menuitem "edit", it concerns the whole track, and I can just change name and category. If I click menuitem "point 3", I just get the option to delete the point. If this point is deleted I have to start all over again to make the route because there seems to be no way to continue adding waypoints again to the same route. Quite a hassle if I have some fifty waypoints down along my route.

So in conclusion I want to be able to jump back to the edit-window in my first picture if I was not entirely happy with my planned route.
  •  

Menion

I understand correctly. Recorded track, or imported or created by your own ... all have same behavior in Locus. So it doesn't matter on source of track. Point editing is just not possible. I just expect that when you draw your own path, so in time you save it do database, you're sure, path is OK, so no more editing will be needed. I'll try to think about it, but cannot promise (mainly because I really do not see this as important feature and it is a little bit complicated for me to create)
  •  

tommybgoode

I'd like this feature, too. This makes at least two ;-)
  •  

elmuSSo

I will support you guys. Because recently I was creating a path from 30point, and at the end of creation, I realised that I made a mistake in point 7. I had to clear all points from 30 to 8 to make point 7 editable. Then I had to put point 8-30 again:(

Tapatalk@CyanogenMod@HTCVision
  •  

Menion

i'll look at it, but in your case elmuSSo ... if I understand correctly, you realized your mistake already during creating ... but during creating you may simple drag already created point by your finger to place them on "correct" location ... editing is not possible after you save your path
  •  

supermaz

From a developer point of view: Why don't you just load the track into the "editor" and treat it as it would just have been created? What's the difference between a track "on editing" and "after editing"? Seems to be easy for me.
  •  

Menion

this is not so easy ... as I wrote, i'll look at it, but it don't have high priority now ...
  •  

supermaz

For me it doesn't bother. It was just what came to my mind.
  •  

Fykantrollet

Hello guys!

My first post, so I just want to say as the others: thanks Menion for an outstanding piece of software! I instantly stopped using my other navigation tools when I started using Locus.

But regarding track editing; this flexibility is one of the things that makes Viewranger so easy and flexible to use. It would be a very nice thing to have.
Locus though is better at making the initial track since it is using the pointer to set waypoints instead of using a finger which is unprecise.
  •  

Menion

you're welcome ...

ok, so what about one "simple" solution. Not much user friendly but for occasional editing enough (and already implemented now).

when you tap on track, you see "information" and "point x" as second. When you tap on "point x" you can see typical waypoint dialog where at bottom is in one category "delete". So I added there also edit button, and when you press it, you'll see also classic "Set location" dialog where in this case is best to choose "Pick on map".

Who cannot imagine what I mean, he will see. It's simple, it's working, it's only little bit ... longer .. to edit more points. But I think this will not be necessary (edit more points)
  •  

Gammalerik

Sounds great. Being able to not edit a route was a bit of a letdown. "Pick on map" is a good alternative to having drag-able editing. I guess if you have a eureka moment later on, this will be implemented in the future;)
I have recommended your app to friends and in the forums of Norway's major cellphone site. Not just for being a mighty fine app, but also for its very forthcoming developer who is quick to reply to wishes and suggestions 8-)

Donation worthy indeed.
  •  

Skater

Simple question: Import a track or a route -> what is the difference for locus between these two files (gpx: <rte> or <trk>) by import?
Both lines are blue; both lines includes points;
<rte> there are big red points and sometimes they are combined -> red dot with a number insinde
<trk> there are only small points

What do you prefer for guiding: <trk> or<rte>  :?:

If i have track (30 points) you can edit the wrong point and overwrite the lat/lon data.
afterwards the edited point is back on the right track.

Skater
"A life without LOCUS is possible but pointless" (based on Loriot)
  •