Time between GPS locations has no effect

Started by Davidoff, September 01, 2011, 10:53:59

Davidoff

Hello.

I recently upgraded my SGS to android 2.3.4 JVR and last week during a hiking session, I noticed that the setting in locus "Time between GPS locations" has no effect. No matter what time between fixes I choose, the GPS stays always on and updates position every second, resulting in high battery drain. I'm not sure if the ROM upgrade is the cause or some of the latest locus updates. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards!
  •  

Menion

did you tried values higher then 60s and GPS was still on? I cannot do nothing more with this. If this function do not work, it have to be some problem in ROM itself
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Davidoff

Tried 120s and even 30000s - no effect. It's probably the ROM, but I can't imagine how this could be. Is disabling GPS from within locus (this one works just fine) different than the disabling from timeout? I thought it uses the same function to turn it off.
  •  

svartbjorn

This must be the ROM, since this feature works fine on my Desire 2.2 with Cyanogen Mod7. Seems value has to be min 15s or so to allow the GPS to turn off, but I am pretty sure this is because it takes the GPS receiver some seconds to lock, and this time may move into the time for the next fix if interval is too small.

However, there is one setting that is not working as expected - an issue I reported a long time ago:the default setting 0s doesn't have any effect. If I set interval = xx seconds and later set interval = 0s, the 0s setting is ignored, rather it keep using the xx setting. In order to get 1s updates, I have to set interval =1s. This is ok, but the default 0s option should be fixed to work since it is a valid setting.
  •  

Menion

david: no, it's some system value independent on Locus. I just tell system - run gps with timeout 120s and android system care for everything by it's own.

svart: I thought this is already fixed. At least for me this works correctly
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

svartbjorn

Quote from: "menion"svart: I thought this is already fixed. At least for me this works correctly
It doesn't work correctly on my phone. I just tried it again before I posted my previous reply. Others may also see this issue I guess. However, I can live with the 1s setting, so no big deal.
  •  

Davidoff

Quote from: "menion"david: no, it's some system value independent on Locus. I just tell system - run gps with timeout 120s and android system care for everything by it's own.

Could you tell me how is the function called so I can research the issue further? I'll flash stock 2.3.4 in the meantime to see if it's a problem of the custom ROM I'm using.

Thanks!
  •