Locus as bike computer

Started by tommybgoode, August 27, 2011, 01:06:01

tommybgoode

Hi,

would it be possible to view basic information as on a bike computer?
I think of speed (of course), distance (e.g. since track recording), actual height etc.

I know there is the possibility of custom screens, but I think this is too complicated for
the "standard"-user.
Also you loose the ability to use locus as in standard-view.

Regards, Thomas
  •  

Skater

Custom Screen: Simple Map
- Map and Route
- Speed
- Altitude
- Accuracy
- Course

CustomScreen 'MS-UniCS' is overloaded.
At this screen you see the possibilies of 'Custom Screen'
May be something between.
Regards, Skater
"A life without LOCUS is possible but pointless" (based on Loriot)
  •  

supermaz

I'm just doing the exercise to create a bike computer custom screen ;) I will rise the text font sizes so that you can see it better on biking. If I'm done, I will upload it here.
  •  

tommybgoode

Hi,

unfortunately locus can't be used with custom screens as usual.
I think this is not very nice.

Also, I'm sure many users use locus like me. I'm also sure that many
of them would like to have a bike computer view.

I have never written an android app, but since the variables for speed etc. must already exist,
I can not imagine that it's too hard to code that. But perhaps I'm wrong...

Regards, Thomas
  •  

Menion

why Locus can't be used with custom screens as usual? Custom screens system is created mainly for such purpose - like bike trip screen, speedmeter, etc. Work on custom screens will anyway continue. Now is priority vector maps and navigation, custom screens then ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommybgoode

Quote from: "menion"why Locus can't be used with custom screens as usual?
I didn't build my own one. But at least with the ones that are built in, I can't zoom, show standard buttons when "doubletapping" etc. And very import for me: map does not turn when phone turns.

Are those things possible when building my own custom screens?

Regards, Tom
  •  

Menion

no they aren't. actual basic map screen usage is in quick button on right panel on map screen and quick switch to custom screen when needed. As I wrote, custom screen will improved but it's not a priority now
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommybgoode

OK. Looking forward for improvements.

BUT: I created my first custom screen, or more precise I changed one of the samples. And it worked quite well. Most of the things I wanted work now.
I was searching quite a lot of time how to turn map, until I found that these settings are just taken from main window.... quite silly.
Since zooming also works with two fingers, I can live without buttons for that.

So, since it works now nearly perfect, that's OK for me. But nevertheless some suggestions:
- Working with XML, and things like linear layout etc. are very hard to understand for non-geeks. Having the oportunity to show some simple information in main window without custom screen would be good for many users
- You could hide the top-bar (Home-Button, Name of CS, Menu to choose CS), since this is valuable screen space
- It should be possible to have special characters, like german "Umlaute" like ä, ö, ü. At least I didn't manage that.
  •