Cell-ID locations

Started by durian, August 24, 2011, 12:46:17

durian

There is an option to record Cell-ID locations. Does that find the coordinates of the Cell phone towers you are connected to? I tried recording a track with the GPS off and the cell-ID location option on - I thought maybe that could make a track from tower to tower. It didn't work though.

What should it do exactly?

-peter
  •  

Menion

it do not record cell-id tower locations but your actual location received by cell-it or wi-fi (green circle on map). So it's very battery saving method how to record path (with low accuracy of course) without enabled GPS
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

durian

OK. Thanks! I was playing it in the train on the way to work, trying to save a track. But I realize now that I only save points when accuracy < 50 meters, and that will probably not happen with cell tower accuracy.

I will try again on the way back :-)
  •  

Menion

yes that's correct :) Below 50m you'll get only on a place with huge density of towers or with wi-fi in city ...
  •  

durian

I tried with 5000 meters, but it still didn't record anything.

I got a couple of crashes though, when I exited the applications. It happened three times yesterday. I include the last crashlog. I wonder if it is related. I use the latest Pro version,

-peter
  •  

Menion

hmm, I just - disabled GPS, enabled in Locus record Cell-ID and increased minimum accuracy to 1000, then started GPS and track record ... and ... recording works without problem (you have to have recorded at least two points to start counting so wait for a minute)

and thanks for crash, probably fixed
  •  

durian

Quote from: "menion"hmm, I just - disabled GPS, enabled in Locus record Cell-ID and increased minimum accuracy to 1000, then started GPS and track record ... and ... recording works without problem (you have to have recorded at least two points to start counting so wait for a minute)

and thanks for crash, probably fixed

You write, "then started GPS and track record" - do I have to enable GPS again to record Cell-ID locations? In the text in the settings is says "when system GPS is turned off". Do I need to switch off the GPS in system menu, but switch on in the Locus screen for this to work?

-peter
  •  

Menion

hmm yes .. that's the problem. Probably on GPS screen in locus should be instead of "GPS on/off" text (on button), something like "get available location on/off". Yes, disable GPS in system and start "get location" in Locus by "GPS on/off" button. This will allow locus to receive locations only from network porvider (cell-id, wi-fi, ...) and not from hardware GPS
  •  

durian

Yes, that seems to work!

As you said, the text on the GPS button in Locus is a bit confusing, I always thought that would control the system GPS as well.

-peter
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"enabled in Locus record Cell-ID

Could you tell me where in the settings to find this. I have been through the settings menus, but didn't see it anywhere (maybe I'm just being blind, but I looked twice). Thanks.
  •  

Menion

settings -> track recording -> record Cell-ID locations ...
  •  

rijackson741

Thanks. I was being blind. I don't know how I missed that.

You say above "Yes, disable GPS in system and start "get location" in Locus by "GPS on/off" button. This will allow locus to receive locations only from network porvider (cell-id, wi-fi, ...) and not from hardware GPS". But with the system GPS turned off Locus does not allow me to turn on the GPS unless the GPS is turned on in the system settings.

I'll try recording a track later anyway, to see what happens.

Thanks for the help.
  •  

Menion

hmm this is weird, if you have "Use wireless networks" enabled and "Use GPS satellites" disabled, Locus GPS on/off should work correctly
  •  

rijackson741

I just checked. In system settings, "Use GPS Satellites" is disabled". In track recording, "Record Cell-ID locations" is enabled. If I go to the GPS screen the button on the bottom left says "GPS Off". If I touch it then I get the message "GPS not enabled. Do you want to show system settings?". So I cannot get the button to say  "GPS on" unless I enable the GPS in the system settings. (unless I am missing something else, which is quite possible  :) )

Edit: One thought. Does it matter if I have "Use Wireless Networks" (i.e. for location) enabled in the system settings? I currently have this disabled, because I don't like giving Google my location information.
  •  

Menion

:) ... i wrote ..
Quote from: "menion"hmm this is weird, if you have "Use wireless networks" enabled and...
... so this wireless = Cell-ID in Locus ... it's same ;)
  •