Geocaching Features

Started by Menion, June 23, 2011, 06:45:58

Menion

tap on cache, first button and you're on geocache main screen. Here, second button at bottom panel

or shortcut > tap on cache, first button but long-click here

or waypoints of all visible caches > menu > functions > geocaching tools
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

vtgeopirates

Wow, thank you.
The first 2 options work fine, but - Menu > Functions > Geocaching tools > Load all waypoint (which is what I want) causes a force close of Locus and removes all of the Points on the screen on one of my Categories of geocaches that are from GSAK export with extra fields box checked.
I can't wait for the manual to come out so I can learn more cool features.
  •  

Menion

hmm how much geocache have you visible on map when you run third feature? try it please with less points if will work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  •  

vtgeopirates

Menion,
You are correct. It seems limited to some number... I have a catagory of 4300 that crashes. Not sure how many extra waypoints are in those geocaches?
I can select a subset of 3600 tradition caches and option 3 runs fine and shows 633 additional waypoints, but I think that is close to Locus's limit now because it becomes very unstable.
When I remove the parent geocaches, the temporary waypoints still show, but with the red line still showing that now connects to nothing.
The temp waypoints are not stored in any catagory and I can't see a way to turn them off and on again without deleting and building them again.
  •  

Menion

hmm I'm playing with it a little and seems that this function needs quite a lot memory. More then I expect to take. Anyway I cannot find source of issue for now so I really suggest (not just for this function but also to whole speed of app) to use just waypoints you need.

Best is to center map on place where you want to some "hunt" then go to points manager screen of category with your caches and on bottom select fourth button and sort points by distance. And now, second button and enable just first X points! Then using of "Show all waypoints" function will be much faster ;)

about deleting (hiding) you're correct. When hide, waypoints remain, when delete, they're removed correctly. Sorry, fixed now ...
  •  

vtgeopirates

Exellent work around until you can fix the problem. Perhaps you can write the extra waypoints to a new group and not to temp memory. Or generate them when you load a GPX file and use a new button in Points to show them or not.
  •  

Rev

Quote from: "menion"about deleting (hiding) you're correct. When hide, waypoints remain, when delete, they're removed correctly. Sorry, fixed now ...
Great, i was just going to ask about this :)
  •  

Blob0007

Hi all
At first I have to say that I really like Locus Pro!

What I'm missing relating to Geocaching ist the Azimuth of a line and the distance.  Today I had a Cache where I had to "draw" a triangle. (I think it's not a rare task)
I had two points given. The line between these two was the first site of the triangle. Then I had the value of the angle to the next side. To draw this line I needed to know the azimuth of the first line so I'm able to draw the second line by projection and the value for the azimuth for the projection is the azimuth of the first line plus the angle at the corner.

Its difficult to explain, I hope you understand what I mean?
Would this be possible to implement? Just display the length and the azimuth of a line.

A issue I encontered was that the App crashes if i loaded a Cache into Locus (by c:geo) and tried to add a waypoint to this cache. After editing the coordinates of the new Waypoint and clicking "ok" the App crashes.

Again, thank you for this excellent App!
  •  

stebu

I have encountered some interesting geocaches where you have to find a location that is x meters from XX, y meters from YY, z meters from ZZ, etc
Or the point that is in the middle of n other points (same distance to all others).

I used to solve these by drawing circles on the map, but there seems to be an easier solution. The POI-alert will display the distance to any neighbouring waypoint as you move, so you can walk in the terrain and watch several distances at once (the distances are shown in the waypoint labels).

So this is great! But there is one thing that I cannot figure out. How can I simulate this without actally walking in the terrain? If I turn GPS off, the distance indicators in the waypoint labels disappear  :(  Sometimes it would be nice to use the phone to determine the location and then to walk straight to it instead of wandering in the woods and trying to match up distances.

So what about it? Anyone else needs this feature? Or do I just need to get my lazy legs moving?

Better yet, has someone found an existing solution for this "problem"?
  •  

tommi

Don't know if there is something in Locus to solve this.
If I were a geocacher I would try to solve it by faking/spoofing the gps location. There are several such tools in the market. However only few of them (Pro versions?) allow more than just set the location to a faked fixed point.
Would be interesting what your solution will be. Good luck!
  •  

druki

I have played arround with the GC tools and find it very useful.
I detected some points that could make it even better for me:
When creating temporary circles or lines, it would be great to see the parametets later. Lenght of a line and radius of a circle could be displayed with the element.

An other useful thing for me would be to load the special GC query of founds with the api (if supported by the api).

Are this features which could be implemented (or should I put it in getsatisfaction)?
Greetings,
Druki
  •  

Menion

Hello Druki,
  getSatisfacition is best choice. I'll for sure forget here on your request ...
  •  

druki

See http://gsfn.us/t/2wad8
I hope to get some votes for it.
  •